The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

One thing I don't like about Islam is how woman have less right, cover up and wear a hijab etc. Where's the EQUALITY Why don't men have to cover up? Women can't work, drive or do anything. Men are superior and women are inferior in their eyes.

Women have less rights and that's not something I'm comfortable with.
Original post by Ishax
One thing I don't like about Islam is how woman have less right, cover up and wear a hijab etc. Where's the EQUALITY Why don't men have to cover up? Women can't work, drive or do anything. Men are superior and women are inferior in their eyes.

Men and women have different rights - there are cases when women have more rights than men for example. Allah is All Wise and therefore gives different rights and rules according to what He deems is best for us ultimately. Women can drive and work. I would advise reading into Islam more lest disbelief settles in your heart, because you don't appear to understand Islam from it's most fundamental principle - to submit to Allah no matter what.
Original post by Zamestaneh
Men and women have different rights - there are cases when women have more rights than men for example. Allah is All Wise and therefore gives different rights and rules according to what He deems is best for us ultimately. Women can drive and work. I would advise reading into Islam more lest disbelief settles in your heart, because you don't appear to understand Islam from it's most fundamental principle - to submit to Allah no matter what.

Women weren't allowed to drive and work before, that's not my point. Just because they can drive and work that's their right? I'm sorry, but that's a human right not a religion one. I'm not Muslim but I still work and can drive? For example, in some countries women still can't drive or work because there is a lack of female right not religion.

The point is women have to cover up and wear the hijab which is fine but why don't men have to cover up etc? That's inequality.

Please give me examples of where women have more right.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ishax

I am woman myself and I can tell you that men and women are not the same and they never will be no matter how much people try to go on about equality this and that. Both have different rights because biologically they won't be able to do what men are made for and vice versa. In the long term women won't be able to do what men can. If you actually look into it with a full open mind then you will realise that indeed God knows better and hence the different rules etc it is for our own good. Imagine you going to do some heavy work during pregnancy. But then you will say oh we can get maternity leave right? But then how is that fair? And where is the equality now? And several other examples. God is just and guides you in life. It is for our better. You don't even believe in a religion to realise this.
Original post by Anonymous
I am woman myself and I can tell you that men and women are not the same and they never will be no matter how much people try to go on about equality this and that. Both have different rights because biologically they won't be able to do what men are made for and vice versa. In the long term women won't be able to do what men can. If you actually look into it with a full open mind then you will realise that indeed God knows better and hence the different rules etc it is for our own good. Imagine you going to do some heavy work during pregnancy. But then you will say oh we can get maternity leave right? But then how is that fair? And where is the equality now? And several other examples. God is just and guides you in life. It is for our better. You don't even believe in a religion to realise this.

So that big paragraph is just for maternity leave? You do realise men can also have maternity leave, which is called paternity. You need to work on your logic.

I will repeat myself. Please explain why women have to cover up and men don't? Why don't men cover their hair?

Ps, I'm a Sikh and in nowhere of this conversation I've said I'm a Atheist. Before you say anything about Sikhism, men and women can wear turbans.we wear them to promote equality and Sikh identity. I don't cover myself and my hair by choice, just like OP doesn't want to wear a hijab anymore.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ishax
Women weren't allowed to drive and work before, that's not my point. Just because they can drive and work that's their right? I'm sorry, but that's a human right not a religion one. I'm not Muslim but I still work and can drive? For example, in some countries women still can't drive or work because there is a lack of female right not religion.

The point is women have to cover up and wear the hijab which is fine but why don't men have to cover up etc? That's inequality.

Please give me examples of where women have more right.

Whenever you see me post about 'rights', assume I am talking about Islamic rights unless otherwise specified because I speak from an Islamic perspective 99% of the time. There is nothing Islamically wrong with a woman working or driving, although regarding working there may be some conditions which should be considered first. Your point seems muddled because what countries do or don't do has no bearing on what Islam permits or forbids as there is no country on Earth which rules 100% according to Shariah currently.

The Islamic concept of awrah is the parts of the body which must be covered as an absolute minimum - for men it is from the naval to the knee, and for a women it is everything excluding her face and hands and feet. This difference is because men are more easily attracted by women and definitely more impulsive in most cases. It is also worth noting that it is still obligatory for men to cover anything of them which is attractive, so if there is a man with bulging arms in a tight fitting shirt, he should wear looser clothing and cover more, and there have been cases in history where handsome guys have been ordered to cover their faces. Furthermore, in Islam, it is a prescribed Sunnah for a male to cover their hair. It would be funny if you simply Googled "Muslim men" and saw how covered up they actually are; or perhaps you could complain how unequal it is that it is obligatory for men to grow their facial hair whereas women can groom themselves?
Anyways, whenever you say "inequality", no Muslim, boy or girl, who does not have deficiency in their belief or understanding frankly cares that men and women have different rights and obligations because ultimitately we are the same in religion and pray the same, fast the same, pay the same charity etc, and Allah is All Just and All Wise so we needn't care about these psychological constructs of "equality" as we will be rewarded for what we have earned or not been given but born with patience.

- There are some cases where a women may inherit more than male
- A wife has the right to her husbands wealth but he has no right to hers, and all property she owns cannot be touched or taken by him
- A mother has the right to 3 times more respect from her children than her father, and a child can never repay their mother for giving birth to them, even if they made pilgrimage with her on their back, whereas a father can be repayed for fathering him by emancipating him from slavery - although this last point cannot be quantified in real terms or materialised physically, it shows that mothers have higher statuses than fathers drastically. Due to the subsequent reward of mothering children, women have this avenue open to them to get to heaven that men do not have.

And what are these cases?

Why is the testimony of a woman worth half of that of a man in many people's interpretation of Islam?
Whenever you see me post about 'rights', assume I am talking about Islamic rights unless otherwise specified because I speak from an Islamic perspective 99% of the time. There is nothing Islamically wrong with a woman working or driving, although regarding working there may be some conditions which should be considered first. Your point seems muddled because what countries do or don't do has no bearing on what Islam permits or forbids as there is no country on Earth which rules 100% according to Shariah currently.

The Islamic concept of awrah is the parts of the body which must be covered as an absolute minimum - for men it is from the naval to the knee, and for a women it is everything excluding her face and hands and feet. This difference is because men are more easily attracted by women and definitely more impulsive in most cases. It is also worth noting that it is still obligatory for men to cover anything of them which is attractive, so if there is a man with bulging arms in a tight fitting shirt, he should wear looser clothing and cover more, and there have been cases in history where handsome guys have been ordered to cover their faces. Furthermore, in Islam, it is a prescribed Sunnah for a male to cover their hair. It would be funny if you simply Googled "Muslim men" and saw how covered up they actually are; or perhaps you could complain how unequal it is that it is obligatory for men to grow their facial hair whereas women can groom themselves?
Anyways, whenever you say "inequality", no Muslim, boy or girl, who does not have deficiency in their belief or understanding frankly cares that men and women have different rights and obligations because ultimitately we are the same in religion and pray the same, fast the same, pay the same charity etc, and Allah is All Just and All Wise so we needn't care about these psychological constructs of "equality" as we will be rewarded for what we have earned or not been given but born with patience.

- A wife has the right to her husbands wealth but he has no right to hers, and all property she owns cannot be touched or taken by him
- A mother has the right to 3 times more respect from her children than her father, and a child can never repay their mother for giving birth to them, even if they made pilgrimage with her on their back, whereas a father can be repayed for fathering him by emancipating him from slavery - although this last point cannot be quantified in real terms or materialised physically, it shows that mothers have higher statuses than fathers drastically. Due to the subsequent reward of mothering children, women have this avenue open to them to get to heaven that men do not have.

To drive one of my points home: if I was as uniformed as you to enter the conversation and use countries inhabited by Muslims as a measure of what Islam teaches, and I equally based my assessment of Sikhi upon pendus in Punjab, I could easily claim that Sikh women are not equal to Sikh men, but that would be intellectually disingenuous, so I recommend that you abandon that.

I've got better things to do than read your essay, that's point one. I made a comment to what the OP posted and what I've seen Muslim men wear compared to women.

If you're offended by my comment, I couldn't care less. Suffer in silence.

Bye :smile:
Original post by Cain Tesfaye
And what are these cases?

Why is the testimony of a woman worth half of that of a man in many people's interpretation of Islam?

Don't feed the troll, you'll receive a massive essay!
Original post by Ishax
Don't feed the troll, you'll receive a massive essay!

I don't think he's a troll, just your typical proselytising male Muslim.

A longer post is better and sometimes necessary to explain certain concepts/ideas.
I don't think he's a troll, just your typical proselytising male Muslim.

A longer post is better and sometimes necessary to explain certain concepts/ideas.

I guess that's true, I prefer small concised points.
Original post by Ishax
I've got better things to do than read your essay, that's point one. I made a comment to what the OP posted and what I've seen Muslim men wear compared to women.

LOL I think someone can't accept the fact they got owned BIG time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HAnwar

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol everyday there is thread about Muslims, there will be a new one tomorrow.

I'm sorry for having better things to do than write an essay. Clearly you don't. Quite sad really.

Not to mention, Muslims are always in the media.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by HAnwar

Well, aren't you the blackest pot I ever did see talking to a kettle... :rolleyes:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
Well, aren't you the blackest kettle I ever did see talking to a pot... :rolleyes:

reported for racism.
Original post by Hydeman
Well, aren't you the blackest pot I ever did see talking to a kettle... :rolleyes:

:rofl:
reported for racism.

Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ishax

You asked questions; I answered. Sikh means "Seeker of truth"; interesting that when truth comes to you after seeking clarification, you turn away from it because the truth is an "essay".
You asked questions; I answered. Sikh means "Seeker of truth"; interesting that when truth comes to you after seeking clarification, you turn away from it because the truth is an "essay".

Stop quoting me, save it for another Muslim thread :smile:
Original post by Ishax

If you can't be bothered to seek the truth and actually read what he wrote with effort then why should anyone else bother? Stop acting immature, he presented you many points very well even I can't do half as what he did. No offence but it is you looking bad here not him. You wanted an answer if I am wrong but you can't be bothered to read it them don't ask. I feel sorry for him taking the effort to even respond but it benefited me so I am glad he did.

Latest

Trending

Trending