The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Be Lucky
are u internal or external ?
i am internal and in the job advet ref 042R that closed on 13/09/16 they said if a large number of applications are received thry may mark just the lead competency making effective decisons.
I am just hoping theyll just mark the 1 competency .If all 4 are marked than probably wont get thru

ah sorry for the confusion, i'm external, I'm currently trying to prepare for the competency questions, but i don't know if it's a wasted effort. can you tell me how the competencies were presented in the initial online assessment? is it posed as a question providing a specific scenario to the applicant or is more along the lines of how do you make effective decisions etc?
Original post by sd1983
ah sorry for the confusion, i'm external, I'm currently trying to prepare for the competency questions, but i don't know if it's a wasted effort. can you tell me how the competencies were presented in the initial online assessment? is it posed as a question providing a specific scenario to the applicant or is more along the lines of how do you make effective decisions etc?

It isn't a posed question. You get 250 words to put your own competency example down and in that you demonstrate how you meet the competency requirements. They also want it in STAR format: Situation, Task, Action and Result.
Original post by sd1983

Not really sure the the how the external 042R is structured.
I now the are two 10 minutes online tests,numeracy and literacy.
I would place more emphasise on the two written compencies required in the application and studing the CS competency framework.
Original post by Be Lucky
Not really sure the the how the external 042R is structured.
I now the are two 10 minutes online tests,numeracy and literacy.
I would place more emphasise on the two written compencies required in the application and studing the CS competency framework.

that's great thanks very much for you help
Guys I have a question in regards to references.

For the personal reference I provided a family friend. But I think I might have been wrong in doing this, when I've spoken to others they've tended to put their university tutors as a personal reference. I've used my university tutor but for an academic, not personal reference.

Have I messed up? :unsure:
Original post by Twinpeaks
Guys I have a question in regards to references.

For the personal reference I provided a family friend. But I think I might have been wrong in doing this, when I've spoken to others they've tended to put their university tutors as a personal reference. I've used my university tutor but for an academic, not personal reference.

Have I messed up? :unsure:

Well... Only you know if it's a family friend.. Or family member for that matter if they happened to have a different surname

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jamz115
Well... Only you know if it's a family friend.. Or family member for that matter if they happened to have a different surname

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I've got the wrong end of the stick. I didnt realise that a personal reference is used because it allows you to gain more information about the candidate than a professional reference. I just thought a personal reference was used to add to the other references, to gain a more in depth picture of the candidate, I.e how they are as a person.

But I was just speaking to someone and they said that professional referees provide hardly any information, and that's why personal references are used. I should have provided my dissertation supervisor or personal tutor :/

I'm wondering whether I should perhaps email HR?
I think I've got the wrong end of the stick. I didnt realise that a personal reference is used because it allows you to gain more information about the candidate than a professional reference. I just thought a personal reference was used to add to the other references, to gain a more in depth picture of the candidate, I.e how they are as a person.

But I was just speaking to someone and they said that professional referees provide hardly any information, and that's why personal references are used. I should have provided my dissertation supervisor or personal tutor :/

What do you mean they provide more info about the candidate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry they don't contact any of them.
Original post by TraineeAcc

Do you think Manpower won't be contacting the referees either?
Reply 1510

Do they not contact references? Whar pre-employment checks do they do?
Original post by sac14
Do they not contact references? Whar pre-employment checks do they do?

Not sure of the Manpower process but usually they don't contact references they just check your employment history against their PAYE records and make sure it's legit. I would assume if your employment history doesn't check out then they would contact.

Pre-employment checks are that your employment history is right and that your background has no criminal issues etc.
Not sure of the Manpower process but usually they don't contact references they just check your employment history against their PAYE records and make sure it's legit. I would assume if your employment history doesn't check out then they would contact.

Pre-employment checks are that your employment history is right and that your background has no criminal issues etc.

I think manpower may take the extra step. They have paid them to do so....
Anyway if everyone remembers back to the reference request form that you handed in at the interview, im sure it said they don't contact employers and will only contact personal referees if needed. So if we go by that then manpower should just take care of any DBS checks and that's about it....
Has anyone tried to apply for the external 042R vacancy yet? Applications are suppose to open on 19th Sept but I've just been on the manpower website and it won't let me apply! - Ha maybe I'm just being an eager beaver...
Couple of things:
1. You'll be paid a fantastic wage whilst completing your training which ample time is provided for.
2. Have to learn to walk before you run.

Trainee when is the HMRC holiday year is it January - January April - April etc and are you entitled to any leave when you start etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jamz115
Trainee when is the HMRC holiday year is it January - January April - April etc and are you entitled to any leave when you start etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Annual leave year starts from ur first day and runs yearly from that point on. It's electronically calculated and you just keep ur own eye on it. You can book whatever once you're started it doesn't seem to be an issue
Reply 1516
Original post by Jamz115

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mine started the 1st of the full month after I started. So for example if u started on 15/11, your leave year ran 1/12 to 30/11 but u got additional leave for 15/11 to 1/12

So they don't use any references at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sljca
Mine started the 1st of the full month after I started. So for example if u started on 15/11, your leave year ran 1/12 to 30/11 but u got additional leave for 15/11 to 1/12

Oh right how much additional leave did you get

Posted from TSR Mobile

N
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending