The Student Room Group

How to take Rigevidon

Hi guys,

I am so new to this birth control thing. The more I read about it, the more it confuses me. I am NOT sexually active, the purpose of me taking is to stabilise my period (irregular, heavy bleeding, cramps etc). Can I take it straight away or do I have to take it on the first day of my period (if so, does it stop my period). Also, the 7 day break thing. After taking it for 21 days, do I take a break for 7 days and then start the next strip, or just continue with it?

Many thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Alyaaa
Hi guys,

I am so new to this birth control thing. The more I read about it, the more it confuses me. I am NOT sexually active, the purpose of me taking is to stabilise my period (irregular, heavy bleeding, cramps etc). Can I take it straight away or do I have to take it on the first day of my period (if so, does it stop my period). Also, the 7 day break thing. After taking it for 21 days, do I take a break for 7 days and then start the next strip, or just continue with it?

Many thanks

As you're not taking it for contrception, you can start taking it whenever you like. If you take it on the first day of your period, it won't stop your period straight away, but it may make it lighter or shorter. The advice to start on the first day of your period is generally to ensure you're not pregnant, but if you're not sexually active you don't have that worry anyway.

You take 21 days of pills at approximately the same time, and then have a 7 day break. You'll have your period during that 7 day break. You'll then restart and take another 21 days of pills at approximately the same time, and then have another 7 day break.

If you find that your 7 day break is due at a really awkward time, you can skip the 7 day break and just start another pack straight away. This will then mean that you miss your period. You shouldn't do this too often, though - if you take more than 2 packs together, you risk getting your period anyway which won't help.

Quick Reply

Latest