The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Leontia123
I have posted in this 4 times without any help and I am getting stressed
Got my ukcat score back and it was pretty bad with 1730 and band 2…
GCSEs 3A*'s 4.5 A's 2 B's (highest achiever as secondary school)
AS AABB maths bio chem history
Predicted A2 AAA
I was just wondering do I even have a chance? Would I be wasting my ucas options by applying?

Your UKCAT score is pretty limiting. How much volunteering/work experience do you have?
If you have a lot of volunteering, Keele can definitely be an option (I'm guessing you're a home student?) EDIT: you would need to be predicted A*AA, I think, so if you can convince a teacher!
EDIT 2: Currently your UKCAT is too low for even Keele... It seems that you'll have to apply to solely BMAT universities. This means it's possible you'll end up taking a gap year and reapplying, but that can be a good thing :h:

I'm not sure how universities look at the school you went to for GCSEs, but since your school was probably low performing, you may be recognised for that? I'm not completely certain though and it would be best to e-mail the universities you're interested in.

Do you qualify for any WAPs for any med schools local to you? If so, that could be an option.

It's looking like you'll definitely have to take the BMAT. If you have 2 weeks of work experience, definitely apply to Imperial. BSMS don't look at your GCSEs beyond the minimum, so you could apply there, and I'm not certain about the other BMAT universities.

I hope this helped, but definitely use this to supplement your own research. Remember, we can only give you an idea of where to apply, ultimately, it's up to you to do your own research, so you know where you can possibly successfully apply!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Bright_Gift
Your UKCAT is quite a bit below the minimum average which in theory is 1800 (600x3) but for this year the average so far is in the 1900s (not sure of the exact value) so that means there is verryy little chance that any uni would take you with that UKCAT score. Even most of thr non-UKCAT heavy unis would still expect an average of 600 and above, because let's be realistic, this is medicine and the competition is kind of ridiculous.

Your GCSE's are good (esp for you high school it would seem). You As levels are ok. It would have been muchh better if you got an A in chem for medicine

My honest honest opinion is that you would be wasting an application by applying for ukcat med schools with those ukcat scores. My advice would be that, if you are absolutely set on medicine, try and smash your A levels this year (as hard as it will be, i know), take a gap year and gain more experience and retake the ukcat and them reapply to medicine.

Of course, you could always do another course this year. Medicine isn't the be all and end all

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got a B in chem at AS. Uni wont look that much at them will they if u have an AAA prediction? My other stats are fine ish
Original post by chrisdale98
I got a B in chem at AS. Uni wont look that much at them will they if u have an AAA prediction? My other stats are fine ish

I am of the mind set that Unis don't really pay that much attention to AS results. BUT of course it depends on the uni, you should probably do some further research on it. Although if you have an AAA prediction, I think you should be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ipanda99
Hey everyone,

So I'm unsure of where to apply and I have done quite a bit of research but can't seem to figure out which Med Schools I should put down as my 4 choices. Here are my stats so far:

GCSEs: 6A*s 4As

A Level Predictions: A*A*A(History,Chemistry and Biology)

UKCAT: 637 Band 2 😭

Work Experience/Extra Curricular:
1 week Opticians
1 week GP
2 days Liver Unit
1 week Neurology
1 year as a Maths Tutor
1 year as a Peer Mentor
Prefect (Yr 11 and Yr 13)
Attended Kings Outreach sessions
Ongoing care home placement
Organised Christmas Party at a care home near by school

I know my UKCAT is quite low, therefore I do plan to do the BMAT and apply to non - UKCAT heavy universities. So far I have been thinking of:

Bristol - very aware its PS heavy
UEA - are my GCSEs good enough??
Liverpool
Lancaster
Brighton and Sussex
Leeds - again are my GCSEs good enough?
UCL - I was wondering if I should take a risk and apply here?

Where do you think my chances lie? I keep changing my mind as I am unsure which choices would be best?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your good work experience/ volunteering is going to embellish your application nicely. Your GCSE's are good to be fair, erm for Leeds, maybe if you do really well on your BMAT combined with your personal statement, you could an interview (?).
For Bristol, you should be fine because you've got sime great content for your PS. Really milk it. :smile:
I'm really not sure about the other schools. For UEA you should dig around on the website and see where your GCSE's stand in relation to what their applicants normally get.

Best of Luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys i have very poor internet access and im findinf it difficult to search each uni and their requirements.
I have 5A*s 4As in GCSEs
A*A*A in A-levels
620 Avg band 2 ukcat

Im a re-applicant as i got rejected preinterview last year.
Please can someone advice me on where i should apply. Any help would be appreciated
Hi guys please can i have some advice on which unis i should apply to

Gcse: 7A* 2A 1B 1C
As level: AAAA
Alevel prediction: A*A*A*
Ukcat: 663 band 2

Ive got some really good work experience, good personal statement and reference

So far im thinking:
Leicester
Liverpool
Hull york
East anglia
Queen mary

Thanks in advance 👍🏿
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey guys
I have 5A's at scottish Higher in Maths, english, chemistry, biology and geography and also 2 A's at Advanced Higher (Chemistry and Biology) and an Additional A in Higher Physics.

Ukcat score was 643 and a band 2 in SJT

Anyone have any advise on which unis to apply to that will increase my chance of acceptance?
Thanks!
PLEASE HELP,

I want to apply to Southhampton, my UKCAT avg is 670 (that's 2010 overall) though. I am well aware that they rank their applicant's UKCAT scores for selection for their selection day.

WHAT ARE MY CHANCES?? Helppp

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kantth1
Hi guys please can i have some advice on which unis i should apply to

Gcse: 7A* 2A 1B 1C
As level: AAAA
Alevel prediction: A*A*A*
Ukcat: 663 band 2

Ive got some really good work experience, good personal statement and reference

So far im thinking:
Leicester
Liverpool
Hull york
East anglia
Queen mary

Thanks in advance 👍🏿

Also look at St. Georges, Nottingham, Aberdeen, Plymouth, Keele and 100% Exeter with those predicted grades.
would I be borderline for Plymouth? I have 7A*, 3A, ABBBB at AS, AAA predicted and 1980 UKCAT (660 average) Band 2.
Original post by Orangeflower6
Also look at St. Georges, Nottingham, Aberdeen, Plymouth, Keele and 100% Exeter with those predicted grades.

Okay thank you so much 😎👍🏿
Reply 991
UKCAT average - 690
VR- 580
QR- 720
AR- 770
SJT- Band 1

Thinking of Birmingham, Leicester, Nottingham and Imperial (I know they need the BMAT). My predicted grades (IB) are a full 44/44. How are my UKCAT results for these institutions, and where do you suggest I look?

Thanks in advance :biggrin:
:biggrin:
Reply 992
look at other unis that aren't as UKCAT heavy? Birmingham, Exeter... maybe even BMAT universities?
PLEASE HELP,

I want to apply to Southhampton, my UKCAT avg is 670 (that's 2010 overall) though. I am well aware that they rank their applicant's UKCAT scores for selection for their selection day.

WHAT ARE MY CHANCES?? Helppp

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cheeku
UKCAT average - 690
VR- 580
QR- 720
AR- 770
SJT- Band 1

Thinking of Birmingham, Leicester, Nottingham and Imperial (I know they need the BMAT). My predicted grades (IB) are a full 44/44. How are my UKCAT results for these institutions, and where do you suggest I look?

Thanks in advance :biggrin:
:biggrin:

Your UKCAT score is great. You have a good chance at all of these unis
Original post by cheeku
look at other unis that aren't as UKCAT heavy? Birmingham, Exeter... maybe even BMAT universities?

Truee, I'd definitely applying to Birmingham and Imperial. Leeds too.
I've read that Exeter use predicted grades to determine interview offers. My predicted grades are A*A*A soooo..
Truee, I'd definitely applying to Birmingham and Imperial. Leeds too.
I've read that Exeter use predicted grades to determine interview offers. My predicted grades are A*A*A soooo..

What are your GCSEs like?
Great predicted grades btw :smile:
Original post by Selgomez11
What are your GCSEs like?
Great predicted grades btw :smile:

My GCSEs are 9A* and 1A
My GCSEs are 9A* and 1A

Then you can also apply to Cardiff as they had A* cut off scores before.
Original post by Selgomez11
Then you can also apply to Cardiff as they had A* cut off scores before.

Thanks for the advice.
Hi All

I am looking to apply for Medicine next year.
Doing A levels

Maths Chemistry Biology Geography

Only Maths has AS at the end of the first year.
I was planning to drop that. So will have 3 A levels and 1 AS level.

I was wondering if at the end of the first year I dropped Geography and carried on with Maths. Then I would not have an AS level.

How would that be viewed by unis. I know a lot of unis say that if your college does not do AS levels then it is ok. But how do they view things if had dropped Geography and so had no AS levels.

Quick Reply

Latest