The Student Room Group

How long to revise to acheive a decent grade in AS level.

Hi,
So I just started AS level 12 days ago and i'm doing Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology and Psychology. So far I have been revising at least 3-4 hours a day with regular breaks in between. I was wondering if i consistently put in 3-4 hours a day of revision could I get AAAA in AS level if I worked hard and put in the effort or would I just burn myself out by the time the exams come and fail my exams?

Scroll to see replies

revising 3-4 hours a day will actually leave you mentally depressed
Reply 2
Original post by zainyyyyy
revising 3-4 hours a day will actually leave you mentally depressed

So am I over doing it?
I just want to ensure I am guaranteed to get the As and that wont come easily, its only through hard work and determination that will get me there and i'm over thinking about it hence me revising so much. Do you think I should cut down my revision hours?
How many subjects do you do? Try and do 45 mins for each subject per day then 15 mins break in between
Reply 4
if ur breaks are adequate enoguh and ur not stressed then keep at ur current rate, is above and beyond what others do.
Reply 5
Original post by Inexorably
if ur breaks are adequate enoguh and ur not stressed then keep at ur current rate, is above and beyond what others do.

I revise for an hour and take an hour break, is that not efficient or should I start doing 45 minutes for each subject taking 15 minute breaks.
It's crazy to equate time spent to success. 1.5-2 hours a day of high quality work in the early days is so much better than 3+ hours of nonsense.
I also completely don't understand this concept of "revising". Term only started a week or so ago. What is there to revise?
Reply 8
Original post by Trinculo
I also completely don't understand this concept of "revising". Term only started a week or so ago. What is there to revise?

Being ahead of the game and revising everything learned in class and also learning more from which you haven't been taught in class so when you come to getting taught the information in class you have a thorough understanding on how a concept works and the lesson will just be like a 'revision' session. This means I wont have to cram everything in last minute when I have end of unit tests as well.
Original post by 5h3bi
Being ahead of the game and revising everything learned in class and also learning more from which you haven't been taught in class so when you come to getting taught the information in class you have a thorough understanding on how a concept works and the lesson will just be like a 'revision' session. This means I wont have to cram everything in last minute when I have end of unit tests as well.

That's not really revising.

That's just "doing your A-levels"

Also - there's an obvious danger with trying to "get ahead of the game". You might get it wrong.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Trinculo
That's not really revising.

That's just "doing your A-levels"

Also - there's an obvious danger with trying to "get ahead of the game". You might get it wrong.

Could class it as studying in general.
I'm sure I wont get it wrong as I'm pretty confident with every aspect in the AQA revision guides.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 5h3bi
Could class it as studying in general.

Yep.

I don't think I'm being pedantic by saying that "revising" has a specific meaning - once a course or topic is finished, it's the going back over it in expectation of some kind of coursework or test. A revision method might not be the same as a general learning method.

This is why I don't really get why you get people in September asking if they're doing enough revision....for what?

Not saying this is you, but half the time, I think it's just some kind of misguided vanity project. - like you get the Chinese parents doing - "my kid is doing 8 hours study a night, ergo I'm better than you."
Reply 12
I got an A in biology AS through doing 1.5 hours extra work/revision per week

I got B's in Law, Maths and Psychology without really doing anything- just the set homework and about 5 past papers per module (no past papers for psychology as we had none:redface:)
Original post by 5h3bi
Hi,
So I just started AS level 12 days ago and i'm doing Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology and Psychology. So far I have been revising at least 3-4 hours a day with regular breaks in between. I was wondering if i consistently put in 3-4 hours a day of revision could I get AAAA in AS level if I worked hard and put in the effort or would I just burn myself out by the time the exams come and fail my exams?

You just started AS and you're doing 3-4 hours a day

wut :lolwut:

The only work I did outside of lessons was whatever homework my teachers set.

The only time I did work on top of that was in the month leading up to exams, and that was mostly past papers.
Reply 14
Original post by 5h3bi
Hi,

I find making a list of activities I want to complete each day, the night before, more effective as it means I have to do high quality work instead of just working against the clock.
Reply 15
Original post by SamLuxa
I find making a list of activities I want to complete each day, the night before, more effective as it means I have to do high quality work instead of just working against the clock.

Seems like a pretty effective technique might try it myself.
Reply 16
Original post by AfcFob
I got an A in biology AS through doing 1.5 hours extra work/revision per week

I got B's in Law, Maths and Psychology without really doing anything- just the set homework and about 5 past papers per module (no past papers for psychology as we had none:redface:)

That's awesome!
However i'm dedicating this many hours of studying due to me being quite worried about my GCSE results.
I feel like if i spent the same time revising and studying like I did in GCSE I wont get AAAA, however I might consider on lessening the hours I spend in revision as I could potentially be burning myself out.
I WISH so much that I'd started earlier but I got 3 As and a B (almost an A) at AS last year and apart from French I did revise waay too last minute. English I found critics' quotations the day before and got almost full marks. However, I have always paid a lot of attention in lessons and worked hard in them, as well as working hard on my essays. The revision I did was very intense but too last minute- I don't recommend it. However, I do think the amount of revision some do is OTT (maybe not for them, but don't think you have to do it) and you can most definitely succeed with little and often, consistently over the year. Let your motto be DO IT NOW! Even if you can't finish it there and then, make a start as soon as you have any free time. It minimises procrastination paralysis and stress- something I am actually doing right now avoiding a French essay, so not exactly practising what I preach as usual :P
I'd just recommend you understand the concepts and have decent notes you can go over. I did my revision weirdly last minute in a way that seemed to work for me (making online notes) but idk how well that'd work out for ya. Something in maths i've found to be really helpful is to do past papers and take notes of the topics you're not as good at and go away and do some practise on them. :smile:
Original post by 5h3bi
Hi,

Nothing is wrong with starting your revision early its just showing you've learnt the leap from gcse's to A levels fairly quickly.

i'm sure you have many free periods in your school the best thing i would recommend is to utilize them and get the majority of your work done there while still maintaining a social time.

during your evenings relax a bit sometimes go out with Friends and do stuff you enjoy while maintaining your work amount try do 3 hours of extra work for each a level extra and make your timetable flexible for yourself give yourself loads of breaks and treats.

surely this way you can achieve your potential without completely lose yourself in revision and work. also about learning ahead for lessons i olny learn ahead for one lesson or two taking it slowly so i can fully understand a subject rather than whizzing ahead for a sense of completion.

hope this helps.:smile::biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest