The Student Room Group

I need help thinking of an EPQ title?

I've chosen to do an EPQ based around psychology as I want to study it at university but it is not offered at my college. I originally chose the title " Does the current society have a positive or negative influence on the mental health of teenagers?" but my EPQ teacher told me that this was too broad and that I needed to narrow it down. Does anybody have any ideas?
(edited 7 years ago)
I think before you have a title you need to choose how and what you are going to study. Once you've done specifics of that title will come a lot easier.*
Original post by Noodlzzz
I think before you have a title you need to choose how and what you are going to study. Once you've done specifics of that title will come a lot easier.*

I've already decided that it's going to be a dissertation and on something to do with mental health.
Original post by AlexSaunders98
I've already decided that it's going to be a dissertation and on something to do with mental health.

Yes but that's very broad. What area of mental health?:

What age range? Adults? Kids?
A specific type of mental health such as personality disorders, or better yet a certain diagnosis?
Will this be a literature review or an experiment?
If so what kind of experiment?*

I'm a MSc student in clinical psychology and have done a dissertation, numerous lab reports and a published journal article. The title is often the last thing you do.*
Yes but that's very broad. What area of mental health?:

What age range? Adults? Kids?
A specific type of mental health such as personality disorders, or better yet a certain diagnosis?
Will this be a literature review or an experiment?
If so what kind of experiment?*

I'm a MSc student in clinical psychology and have done a dissertation, numerous lab reports and a published journal article. The title is often the last thing you do.*

Well it's definitely going to be involving children and adolescents because thats the area I want to focus on in the future. I was thinking of basing it on something like depression or anxiety. I was also thinking gender dysphoria but I'm not entirely sure how that would work.
As for whether it will be a literature review or experiment, I'm not sure yet. I think it will be more than likely a literature review because I don't really know how I would go about conducting an experiment.
Also try to think of the sort of time-span, area of study (like UK, USA, etc).

Make sure you justify all your decisions in the production log for lots of marks also! I do the EPQ and that's just something my supervisor keeps bringing up haha.
Original post by everythingice
Also try to think of the sort of time-span, area of study (like UK, USA, etc).

Make sure you justify all your decisions in the production log for lots of marks also! I do the EPQ and that's just something my supervisor keeps bringing up haha.

Yeah, I've considered both of those things.I had an original question but i was told it wasnt specific enough so I'm trying to narrow it down a bit!
Yeah, I've considered both of those things.I had an original question but i was told it wasnt specific enough so I'm trying to narrow it down a bit!

Ah yeah fair enough. :biggrin: What sort of ideas have you got for narrowing down so far?
Original post by everythingice
Ah yeah fair enough. :biggrin: What sort of ideas have you got for narrowing down so far?

My original idea was to write about societies impact on the mental health of teenagers but I was thinking of choosing a specific part of society or a certain mental health issue or demographic if you get what i mean
My original idea was to write about societies impact on the mental health of teenagers but I was thinking of choosing a specific part of society or a certain mental health issue or demographic if you get what i mean

Yeah that sounds like a good plan. :smile:

Just make sure to write about your process of looking into them and such. Demographics are a bti fiddly to find data on but I'm sure you'd be able to do that okay. :biggrin:
I've chosen to do an EPQ based around psychology as I want to study it at university but it is not offered at my college. I originally chose the title " Does the current society have a positive or negative influence on the mental health of teenagers?" but my EPQ teacher told me that this was too broad and that I needed to narrow it down. Does anybody have any ideas?

HI I originally decided and signed up to do an EPQ at the start of the month however i then decided to drop it. My question was "to what extent does patient suicide affect the mental health of psychiatrists" so you're welcome to use that
Original post by halliethestudent
HI I originally decided and signed up to do an EPQ at the start of the month however i then decided to drop it. My question was "to what extent does patient suicide affect the mental health of psychiatrists" so you're welcome to use that

If you use the same title it might be classed as plagiarism so be careful
If you use the same title it might be classed as plagiarism so be careful

i dropped out so early that i didn't even register me doing it so nobody will know haha

Quick Reply

Latest