The Student Room Group

How many offers did you get?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DarkEnergy
Those results are seriously amazing, good job.
How can they request an A in FM? Does that mean they want you to learn it in 1 year?
Also any tips for that A* in Physics mate?

Yeah I listed on UCAS that I was sitting AS and A2 further maths in my gap year, I thought it would strengthen my application but it ended up being a waste of time :tongue:

The physics exams seem to have changed a lot over the last couple of years but what worked for me was just studying the mark schemes because you need every mark you can get and the mark schemes can be so picky about what you must include in your answers. Also if there's a topic you can't quite understand, try to find videos on youtube which explain it in a different way; it can really help hearing an explanation from somebody different.
Original post by Alex621
Yeah I listed on UCAS that I was sitting AS and A2 further maths in my gap year, I thought it would strengthen my application but it ended up being a waste of time :tongue:

The physics exams seem to have changed a lot over the last couple of years but what worked for me was just studying the mark schemes because you need every mark you can get and the mark schemes can be so picky about what you must include in your answers. Also if there's a topic you can't quite understand, try to find videos on youtube which explain it in a different way; it can really help hearing an explanation from somebody different.

Thanks for the advice!
Reply 62
Original post by BB8
Unis know predictions are just that - predictions - and that lots of people will exceed them (I did).

Actually most predictions are on the optimistic side...

Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Predicted A*A*A (ended up with AAB whoopsie :wink: )

QED

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 63
Original post by jneill
Actually most predictions are on the optimistic side...

QED

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My point was more that it's possible, it wasn't supposed to be about what's more likely (...although I guess I could have worded it better)
AAAB at A2 (already had the grades when I applied; this was also in the days before A*s existed at A-level!)

Offers from Oxford, Durham and Cardiff for English Literature & Language.
Rejected by Bristol and Warwick.
Went to Oxford.*
Reply 65
Original post by BB8
My point was more that it's possible, it wasn't supposed to be about what's more likely

Yes indeed. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
A*AA prediction, five offers (top one was Queen Mary) to study Law, realised I could spend 3 years doing something that serious and still have no job so I rejected all five and did Drama through Extra (not Clearing!)
Original post by *pitseleh*
AAAB at A2 (already had the grades when I applied; this was also in the days before A*s existed at A-level!)

Offers from Oxford, Durham and Cardiff for English Literature & Language.
Rejected by Bristol and Warwick.
Went to Oxford.*

Amazing that you got into Oxford, but why did Bristol and Warwick, arguably 'worse' unis (no offence anyone) reject you? :confused:
Original post by BB8
All 5 offers - Exeter, Kent, UCL and Durham within a month, Bristol four months later. Now headed to UCL this Saturday for Fresher's :smile:

You have a chance, although Imperial will be competitive.. Research the course (modules etc) and make sure you know what your strengths are - and make sure all this comes through in your PS.

Unis know predictions are just that - predictions - and that lots of people will exceed them (I did). Just make sure the rest of your application is impressive because competitive unis are less likely to make offers to people who don't quite meet their standards.

Congrats on getting into UCL! I'm also applying to UCL (for Medical Physics). What course are you doing if you don't mind me asking?
i got zero offers
Original post by mediocrecraig
Predicted A*A*A*A* in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing.

Got offers from St Andrews, Edinburgh, UCL, Imperial and Cambridge :smile:

What did you get in your GCSEs?
Amazing that you got into Oxford, but why did Bristol and Warwick, arguably 'worse' unis (no offence anyone) reject you? :confused:

No idea - never bothered asking for feedback since Oxford was where I most wanted to go anyway. I guess they were looking for something I was lacking. :smile:
Reply 72
Congrats on getting into UCL! I'm also applying to UCL (for Medical Physics). What course are you doing if you don't mind me asking?

Anthropology aha, very different subject! Good luck with your application though :smile:
Reply 73

different unis look for different things - if someone tailored their application to oxford (ie talking about subject matter covered/emphasised in the course etc) then they could very well look undesirable to other unis even if those unis are "worse"

also, different unis place different emphasis on gcse grades vs as/predictions, how important the ps and reference are etc
I think I was predicted 4 A*. 5 offers.
Original post by BB8
Anthropology aha, very different subject! Good luck with your application though :smile:

Thank you, yeah just a bit different :colondollar:

Original post by BB8
different unis look for different things - if someone tailored their application to oxford (ie talking about subject matter covered/emphasised in the course etc) then they could very well look undesirable to other unis even if those unis are "worse"

also, different unis place different emphasis on gcse grades vs as/predictions, how important the ps and reference are etc

Ah right, thanks. I was just under the impression (maybe I'm spending too much time on TSR) that if you're good enough to get offers from a Golden Triangle uni, you're pretty much guaranteed to get offers elsewhere.
AS: AAAAB
Predictions: AAA
Course: History

I got 5 offers from Birmingham (AAB), Sheffield (AAB), Manchester (AAA), York (AAA) and Keele (unconditional if firmed, or ABB).

I firmed Birmingham, where I am now, and put Keele as my insurance.
I got AAAA in my AS exams and was predicted A*A*A in my A2s so I applied to Cambridge for their HSPS course on a whim- rejected without getting an interview (apparently my UMS wasn't good enough? :-/ )
I applied for a variety of combined courses-
- combined social science for Durham, which I got an A*AA offer for and firmed
- social and political science at York- AAB offer and insured
- liberal arts and social science at Newcastle- I got a ABB offer which I rejected
- Liberal arts at Birmingham- AAA offer which I again rejected

I got an A in my EPQ, and my A2 grades were A*AA

I'm off to Durham in a few weeks :biggrin: if anyone wants any advice drop me a line
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 78
Original post by sayswho
Four offers. I was applying as a mature student and received conditional offers from Cambridge (NatSci), Imperial and UCL, unconditional from York (all for biology). Rejected by Manchester as "do not meet our academic requirements" :K:

I find Manchester university to be very snobby in terms of academics. I've had some rather unpleasant conversations with them about grades while other, even higher ranking universities, to be much more pleasant and polite.
When I went for an open day last year, even the students who were already there and showed us around were not very welcoming. :/
Predicted: A*A*A*
Offers: 5
Missed out on the third A* though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending