The Student Room Group

How many hours a week was your first year time table?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by skeptical_john
To some extent I'm envious of people who have long contact hours as it feels like they are getting their money's worth but on the other hand I do feel like I can often make better use of my time than when I'm in a lecture or class.

Yeh I was thinking there isn't much contact time on my course. However, I do study better by researching independently. I just need to make sure I time manage well and get rid of most distractions 😂😂
9 hours a week

Monday: 1 hour lecture, 2 hour workshop
Tuesday 3 hour lecture, 3 hour workshop (FUN!)

Journalism
First Year - about 12 hours a week (Monday off)
Second Year - about 10 hours a week (Wednesday off)
Final Year - 7 hours a week (Tuesday & Wednesday off)

Studying English Literature and Drama & Theatre Studies. What am I paying 9k a year for :biggrin: :biggrin:
Ah well shouldn't complain compared to some people I know, I just have to find other stuff to do!
(edited 7 years ago)
Monday: off (for the time being, timetable always been suspect to last-minute changes).
Tuesday: 9am start, 2 hr lecture til 11.
Wednesday: 9am start, 2 hr clinic til 11, 1hr tutorial til 12, another 1 hr tutorial til 1.
Thursday: 9am start, 2 hr lecture til 11, 2 hr break, 2 hr lecture until 3, 1 hr and 30 mins practical until 4:30.
Friday: 11am start, 2 hr lecture until 1.

That's 13.5 contact hrs/week.

Studying optometry at Hertfordshire btw.
Neuroscience
It's not the same every week, but as an example, in my third week I have 10 hours of lectures and 8 hours of labs. The following week 16 hours of lectures and 8 hours of labs...
The most I have is 11 in first term, and 13 in second term. Last year I could have had anywhere from 14-16 hours a week, I can't quite remember but I also took a minor subject which added more hours onto my timetable.

I am a second year Psychology student, for reference. I have more contact time for Psychology this year but less time in lectures/labs overall.
Reply 66
Languages undergrad - 8 hours a week spread across all 5 days with a couple of 9am starts.

Now I'm postgrad part time and it's 4 hours a week.

Amongst my friends in undergrad the hours varied from 9-5 every day to only 3 hours a week

PS be happy if you have a lot of contact hours - you're getting your money's worth. Also your course is more structured. Fewer contact hours means more self-study
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman
Lol.... How do you have enough time to breathe after self study?

Engineers don't / aren't supposed to have social lives.
12 Hours a week.
Monday - 5 Hours of lectures & 1 hour seminar
Tuesday - 2 Hour lecture & 2 hour laboratory work
Wednesday - 2 Hour seminar
Thursday & Friday off

Cardiac Physiology
16 hours: spread between supervisions, language and translation classes and lectures.*
14hours for Biomed
Free Wednesday and Fridays :biggrin:
spread between lectures, practicals, and workshops
Original post by moneymania999
12 Hours a week.
Monday - 5 Hours of lectures & 1 hour seminar
Tuesday - 2 Hour lecture & 2 hour laboratory work
Wednesday - 2 Hour seminar
Thursday & Friday off

Cardiac Physiology

That's a lovely timetable for a health subject!
If there's anyone who is doing a joint honours language degree, could you post and tell me how many you get p/w :redface:

Or direct me to a post if someone else has already said.
Reply 73
12 hours a week, three 9am starts (plus one 2pm start..). This changes for second semester which is 16 hours total with starts at 10 or 11 all week :smile:
The timetable I have atm is slightly confusing so I'm not sure what's a lecture vs what's a tutorial etc at the moment.
Subject is anthropology.

My mum's bf was a bit surprised I don't get a day off though, apparently his department (engineering, different uni) tries to make sure all their students get a day off each week (supposed to be for going to the library/doing coursework etc)
22 hours a week.
Nursing.
In my third year now and my timetable is near 25 hours a week. Some it's only 20.

Posted from TSR Mobile
16 hours -Accounting and Finance
1st year Med, this weeks 26 hours, not counting lunch and stuff. 9am start with a 4/5 finish with Wednesdays half days.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 77
25 hour weeks, reached 40 hours when we had dissections.

Medicine
Physics at York

about 10hrs of lectures a week, 9-5 day in labs and about 2-3hrs of problem classes and tutorials. Most days start at 9 or 10 but a few days every now and again start at 11 or later sometimes. 3rd term always has less on the timetable. Even got as nice as Fridays off in the final term of 1st year.
Original post by skeptical_john
To some extent I'm envious of people who have long contact hours as it feels like they are getting their money's worth but on the other hand I do feel like I can often make better use of my time than when I'm in a lecture or class.

Agreed, contact hours don't exactly reflect the quality of a course, if anything it seems like the better ones have less contact hours, and others a lot more. I have 15 -16 hours a week , whereas one of my friends at Leicester has 8 for the same course, accounting and finance.

Quick Reply

Latest