The Student Room Group

Where can I get work experience that will help me get into an economics degree?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vl7d
Sorry which uni do you study at?

Im doing AS levels
Well I'm extremely lucky to have got those grades without any revision:redface: But I see what you mean, I am absolutely determined to get 4 A*s at a level; I hope you make up for it too!:smile:
Reply 22
Original post by fksociety
Lol r u getting triggered? You're replying to posts that weren't even meant for you. And no, this account was intended as a persona i adopted. Any idiot could have figured that out.

You having an alter persona just confirms my suspicions about you. Am I getting triggered? English please. That post was not intended for me? My bad I thought my quote and the direct response signified that it was. Whoops
Original post by Vl7d
You having an alter persona just confirms my suspicions about you. Am I getting triggered? English please. That post was not intended for me? My bad I thought my quote and the direct response signified that it was. Whoops

I don't need your approval.
Unless you went to a very bad school then this is quite a weak GCSE profile as far as LSE is concerned, so this may hold you back a little bit. I assume you're going to be applying for straight Econ, and not joint-honours?

Also, just reading through the other comments, whilst Economics A Level is not a requirement for LSE if your school does indeed offer it then they're definitely going to question why you didn't take it, as this may show a lack of interest. Just ditch Biology because its the least relevant (unless you enjoy it more than Chemistry, also note that they only accept Further Maths as a fourth A Level so you may want to take this into consideration for A2). Don't bother doing Economics as a 5th subject because this will only take revision time away from your other subjects, just swap Biology out for it, as universities won't particularly care that you have 5 AS Levels. 2 weeks is honestly nothing to catch up on, if you buy a revision guide or borrow the school textbook then you could probably read through the topics they've covered in a single day.
(edited 7 years ago)
Well, unless it's a high performance for your school you probably will be at a significant disadvantage when compared to other applicants (for LSE that is). Are you applying for straight Econ?
Reply 26
Do you have any contacts? Know anyone In a bank?

I can only say try your luck by sending messages for experience, the earlier the better if you wait till after march everyone will be trying to get theirs. Demonstrating your activeness and awareness in the UK and global economy can prove better than work experience though. Most work experience is completely unrelated to A economics degree and is only a way to demonstrate your awareness and understanding of how it all works. So prioritise reading your daily economic scoop, do some digging for economic history, read up some nice theories and get through plenty of books!! It's far more appreciated than work experience
Reply 27
Also it's not too late to start economics AS, I started in January this year and self-taught with no tutor and got an A. Anything is possible just be sure it's what you really want to do and the extra work will be a bucket full of joy
It is the flagship course and therefore one of the most competitive, so yes it is arguably harder to get into than some of the joint courses. I guess you could say that the joint courses would be respected less because the former is the 'main' course they offer, but pretty much any degree from LSE will serve you well. Since you do Further Maths you could try and aim for Maths&Econ, and getting good UMS scores at AS could make up for your GCSEs. I do hear a bit of criticism for Maths at LSE though, but I'm not too knowledgeable on that so you may want to ask someone else (it may, for example, just be compared to Maths at places like Oxbridge or Imperial, I'm not sure how it's viewed compared to other unis). For investment banking they look at the university first and the degree second. Obviously a relevant degree should stand you in good stead and could give you a bit of additional knowledge, but the university is the main factor (with Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL and Warwick being the main targets).
Reply 29
You'd discuss issues, Brexit, economic isolationism, how do you feel about free trade? Is globalisation good or bad? Why did the 2008 financial crisis happen and how has our and the global economic structures changed/adapted from the events? Why do we prefer capitalism over equality? Is poverty inveitable? You can also Just quote a book then build on it. I can guarantee if you get this part right it'll beat any work experience
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by Vl7d
2 weeks is quite significant lol and tbh it's going to drag on further because you're now on tsr asking what you should do i.e. you're unsure whether you even want to do economics, or what to do, you're indefinite so I doubt they'll let you start after 3 weeks but let me know how it goes for you.

Stop being so negative
Original post by zayn008
You'd discuss issues, Brexit, economic isolationism, how do you feel about free trade? Is globalisation good or bad? Why did the 2008 financial crisis happen and how has our and the global economic structures changed/adapted from the events? Why do we prefer capitalism over equality? Is poverty inveitable? You can also Just quote a book then build on it. I can guarantee if you get this part right it'll beat any work experience
Discuss book ideas but don't quote it.
I'm on a gap year currently so I'm applying right now, but I have experience of the Oxford process from last year.
Reply 33
Original post by JRKinder
Discuss book ideas but don't quote it.

True, it's better to just reference it
Reply 34
Original post by Vl7d
2 weeks is quite significant lol and tbh it's going to drag on further because you're now on tsr asking what you should do i.e. you're unsure whether you even want to do economics, or what to do, you're indefinite so I doubt they'll let you start after 3 weeks but let me know how it goes for you.

The fact he's on TSR says he cares and wants to make an informed decision. 2 weeks in isn't a lot, they've probably just finished learning the word scarcity.

Quick Reply

Latest