The Student Room Group

Bulletzone's Journey to A* A A A/ A* A* A A

:smile:Bulletzone's Journey to Amazing AS Results!:smile:

Hi!

I thought I'd make this thread to encourage me to do something everyday to achieve my full potential this coming AS year.
I have many Family and friends, who have done awful in A-levels and I would like to make a difference.
Hopefully this thread encourages a passer by to strive for their best.
I could have done far much better at GCSE's, so I will not make the same mistake again.

Spoiler

The 4 A-Levels I shall be doing:
Maths
Physics
Chemistry
D.T

Personal Goals:
1) Maths (Target Grade: A*)
2) Physics (Target Grade: A*)
3) D.T (Target Grade: A)
4) Chemistry (Target Grade: A)

First Tracking 1/11/2016:
Maths: B not bad but I need to raise it up quite a bit to be on track.
Physics: B Physics is the hardest out of the 3 lol, so I'm happy so far.
D.T: A As we are just doing coursework, I'm on track for an A* but I prefer just an A.
Chemistry: Some of you may know I joined this late, so Despite me getting it now, tracking was a C :frown:

Predicted Grades:
(Coming soon)

Mock Grades:
(Coming soon)

:biggrin: May I use this time to wish anyone else doing AS/A2 the best of luck! :biggrin:

Motivational Quotes:

"No matter what happens never give up. The harder the struggle the more victorious the triumph."
"Impossible is just a word, turn the Impossible to I'm possible."

-Bulletzone:h:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Holiday Update:
Looked at all the Prior Knowledge videos on here. For C1 Maths.

Today (31/08/2016)
Looked at the Indices section of the C1 Maths.
Are you planning to go university in the future? If so, what do you want to do there?
Reply 3
Good luck on getting those grades :smile:

(I have also just finished GSCEs and am aiming to get A*s and As at A level in: Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Geography)
Reply 4
Good luck in aiming to get those grades :smile:)
Its possible with hard work and dedication!!!
Reply 5
Original post by Baaah
Good luck on getting those grades :smile:

(I have also just finished GSCEs and am aiming to get A*s and As at A level in: Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Geography)

Goodluck :smile:
Original post by ninjass
Good luck in aiming to get those grades :smile:)
Its possible with hard work and dedication!!!

Thank you :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by crazyy
Are you planning to go university in the future? If so, what do you want to do there?

Planning to become a Pilot (Back up plan Aerospace engineering).
Reply 7
Update:

The week officially starts meaning, it's the last week in which I can change my subjects.

Maths:
>Looked at Coordinates, Finding midpoints and stuff (GCSe stuff)
>Gone through notes
>Answered loads of questions.

Physics:
I learned about the base units and about 4 Fundamental Forces.
>Wrote an Essay on the 4 forces.
>Done a few questions

D.T
>Just doing coursework

I'm sorry this is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo brief, it's just I had problems logging in on a regular basis.
I've started to feel the pinch of A-levels.
Reply 8
Original post by Bulletzone
Update:

The week officially starts meaning, it's the last week in which I can change my subjects.

Maths:
>Looked at Coordinates, Finding midpoints and stuff (GCSe stuff)
>Gone through notes
>Answered loads of questions.

Physics:
I learned about the base units and about 4 Fundamental Forces.
>Wrote an Essay on the 4 forces.
>Done a few questions

D.T
>Just doing coursework

I'm sorry this is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo brief, it's just I had problems logging in on a regular basis.
I've started to feel the pinch of A-levels.

In maths, we are also doing GCSE stuff for the first two weeks and then we will start C1 after that.

Are you doing Psychology or Chemistry?

Also, we are expected to do 8 hours of study a day including contact hours (roughly four hours) so we have to do four hours at home or in the one period of private study that we have. So, it is basically a 40 hour week, which sounds like so much work... I'm not use to this yet :/
Reply 9
Original post by Baaah
In maths, we are also doing GCSE stuff for the first two weeks and then we will start C1 after that.

Also, we are expected to do 8 hours of study a day including contact hours (roughly four hours) so we have to do four hours at home or in the one period of private study that we have. So, it is basically a 40 hour week, which sounds like so much work... I'm not use to this yet :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

I shall update you by the end of this week on my subject choice.

4 hours a day is a little too much for AS :/
I'm only doing about 3 a day
Reply 10
Posted from TSR Mobile

I shall update you by the end of this week on my subject choice.

4 hours a day is a little too much for AS :/
I'm only doing about 3 a day

Ikr, and it is an 'expectation' for us.
Original post by Baaah
Ikr, and it is an 'expectation' for us.

I wish you the best of luck.

Update:
>Did the Product analysis of my D.T Work
>Did some Maths questions on surds
>Did some Physics work.
Amazing news! I don't have to do Psychology!

Looks like I'm behind in chemistry, but I believe I can get A's and abve this year.
Original post by Baaah

Supposed to be 5 hours per subject (a week)
Amazing news! I don't have to do Psychology!

Looks like I'm behind in chemistry, but I believe I can get A's and abve this year.

Good luck
Good luck!
Update 26/09/2016

Sorry I haven't been able to log in and the App for the phone is dreadful (No offence TSR).

DT (Finished the strengths and weaknesses page of my product)

Incase anyone would like to know, D.T is split up into 4 Exams. 3 of them are Controlled Assessment and 1 is an Exam.
If i drop D.T this year. the 2 things I do this year will be 50% each, however if I carry D.T to the second year then they shall be worth 25%.

Summary of my 1st C.A Goal:
-Find a Product.
-Improve it.
-Make a Model.

I'm way way ahead of the class and I'm proud with that as it gives the teacher time to leave comments and I devote more time to other subjects :smile:

I did some Chemistry today. I did some light revision of what I did in class today (How the Mass spectrometer works).

Completed the Physics Homework.

I've also done a little revision for maths.
Omg, Have not posted in this thread for soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long.
Sorry for the Inactivity, but bulletzone promises more activity.

How I'm finding A-levels?
After experiencing my first Half term, I've learnt quite alot soo far.
A-levels are a step up from GCSE's and honestly How you react to certain situations will decide on your fate.
When I had my first couple of tests, they used that to get a vague idea of how my tracking would look.
I got a C in chemistry B in maths B in physics and an A in DT.
I was not happy, nor sad about the tracking, but what I want to do it prove to everyone but mostly myself how good i am.
AS-levels are a step up from GCSE's, personally I feel like the step is exaggerated as it's all about your resilience.

Maths:
I am finding Core 1 easy and Stats started off as a nightmare, but within the past few weeks, when my teacher asked me out of the blue for the Variance equation and the P.M.C.C I was able to say it perfectly.
I was motivated by this and I'm aiming for a top grade in maths.

Stuff I can rememeber we have covered:
-P.M.C.C
-S.R.C.C (Done today)
-All the types of graphs for statistics.
-Variance and Standard deviation
-All the Averages.

-Quadratics (looked at all possible stuff you can link to it. e.g. Completing the square, Quadrats from simultaneous etc).
-The other equation for a straight line.
-Indices
-Few fractions.
-Surds
-Possibly other stuff but I have forgotten.

Physics:
-Force and the newton
-Dynamics
-Drag and terminal velocity
-Equilibrium
-Turning forces
-Centre of Mass
-Density
-Pressure
-Work and the Joule
-The conservaion of energy
-Momentum
-Waves motion, Wave Terminology, Wave speed and equation, common properties of waves, Electromagnetic waves, Polarisation

Chemistry
We've done sooo much, so to save me typing I'm going to tell you which sections we have done and for what book.
OCR.
As/Alevel

1: Atomic structure
2: Amount of substance (Finishing next week)
3: Bonding.

What I'm doing:
-Over the course of this week and next week I am going to make sure I have understood everything and possibly read a few chapters ahead. I have been making notes to make my revision easier later on in the year.
-I hate flash cards, so I have been making questions on an App. I need to work more on this.
-Finished all my homework,and I'm not expecting much homework this week, so just gunna be revision of what we have done.
Update: 10/11/2016:
Laptop's finally fixed yay!

Maths:
I'm finding maths very do-able and as the content is getting harder, I'm beginning to notice that it is all about practtice, so whatever i do not finish in class I Make a highlighted note stating what questions I have to do (Normally done in Directed study or at home).

Physics:
Just been doing a bit of Revision for a small physics assessment tomorrow. At first physics was hard, but as it makes sense it becomes so frigging interesting! I'm even understanding how some formulas came to be! (Deriving) (although I do hate S.U.V.A.T.S) :frown:

D.T:
Just been Acing my coursework, although I have gone a bit lazy and not been bothered to do anything, so my grade has fallen from an A* to an A :biggrin:

Chemistry:
I don't know how to describe it, but it's easy yet hard (Answering question). I haven't really done anything today for Chemistry, however I do have a test on Monday which I need to revise for.
I got a D in my first test and they have gradually been going up sooooo yeah.....

-Bulletzone :P
I'm feeling absoloutely estatic!

Why you might ask?

Well I've been doing my Chemistry homework and let me say the homework was based off Amount of Substance section for AQA.
I have greatly struggled and quite frankly my chemistry teacher isn't the best for me (Hard to relate).

So I took it upon myself to understand what the flying fudge was going on.
I turned to this video. May i say that this is a LIFE SAVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :u:

It all makes sense now and I strongly recommend his videos to anyone doing A-level chemistry. A detailed and Clear explanation helped me to understand moles.
Hopefully I'll do farrrr better in tomorrow's test.

I shall do my D.T prior to completing this homework as for that too I am slightly behind.
-Bulletzone
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest