The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE's good enough to study law at a good Univesity?

Well met everyone, I'm new here, and would very much like to know, are my GCSE's good enough to study law at a good University? Obviously not Oxford/Cambridge, but somewhere like Sheffield perhaps? Anyway, my GCSE's are as follows:
Religious Studies - A*
English Literature - A
English Language - A
History - A
Additional History - B
Maths - B (retaking)
Core Science - C
Additional Science - C
Media Studies - D (appealing)
Product Design - D
Obviously the fails are a great disappointment, though I have appealed one, and am also retaking my Maths in the hope of getting an A
My A level options are as follows:
English Literature
Religious Studies
History
So once again, I would like to know, will my current GCSE's, along with good A level results get me into a good University? Thank you for reading, and for any (possible) responses.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous471
Well met everyone, I'm new here, and would very much like to know, are my GCSE's good enough to study law at a good University? Obviously not Oxford/Cambridge, but somewhere like Sheffield perhaps? Anyway, my GCSE's are as follows:
Religious Studies - A*
English Literature - A
English Language - A
History - A
Additional History - B
Maths - B (retaking)
Core Science - C
Additional Science - C
Product Design - D
Obviously the fails are a great disappointment, though I have appealed one, and am also retaking my Maths in the hope of getting an A
English Literature
Religious Studies
History
So once again, I would like to know, will my current GCSE's, along with good A level results get me into a good University? Thank you for reading, and for any (possible) responses.

yes absolutely
on what grounds are you appealing on?
Reply 3
Religious Studies - A*
English Literature - A
English Language - A
History - A
Additional History - B
Maths - B (retaking)
Core Science - C
Additional Science - C
Product Design - D
English Literature
Religious Studies
History

Focus on all of the great marks you got rather than dwelling on the few others . Of course you can still go to a good uni, anyway many unis look at AS and A Levels rather than GCSEs. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by sfaraj
on what grounds are you appealing on?

I was accused of plagiarism, and had marks deducted, which made a pass go to a fail, it wasn't intentional plagiarism, I just forgot to credit the website I took information about a camera off of.
Reply 5
Original post by skye99
Focus on all of the great marks you got rather than dwelling on the few others . Of course you can still go to a good uni, anyway many unis look at AS and A Levels rather than GCSEs. :smile:

Thank you, that's somewhat reassuring lol, do you know what type of grades University's require for Law? 3 As seem to be the general consensus, a feat I feel I am unlikely to achieve.
Reply 6
Original post by D.SHA64
yes absolutely

Thank you haha, I hope so.
Reply 7
Thank you, that's somewhat reassuring lol, do you know what type of grades University's require for Law? 3 As seem to be the general consensus, a feat I feel I am unlikely to achieve.

Be optimistic aim high if you work hard I'm sure you will ! I was thinking about law or something similar and yeah the grades are usually high yay haha. What A Levels are you taking ? :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by skye99
Be optimistic aim high if you work hard I'm sure you will ! I was thinking about law or something similar and yeah the grades are usually high yay haha. What A Levels are you taking ? :smile:

English Literature, Religious Studies and History, all rather dull I'm afraid aha, and yourself?
Reply 9
English Literature, Religious Studies and History, all rather dull I'm afraid aha, and yourself?

Mine are too aha :,) I'm taking philosophy, history, politics and French
What do you mean by a good university, OP?

Edit 1:

I've now seen it. Your GCSEs are good and with some strong A-Levels you will definitely have a fighting chance for a good university. I am sorry to say that you won't really stand much of a chance of getting into Oxford, but Cambridge are less focused on GCSE grades.

Edit 2:

I would, however, advise against retaking maths with a B. This is because, even if you exceed that grade, you will have to declare both on UCAS. Most universities do not tend to like seeing retakes on there.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by skye99
Mine are too aha :,) I'm taking philosophy, history, politics and French

Philosophy is half my Religious Studoes course lol, could not do French though, I considered Polotics, but decided against it last minute. How did you fair in you results?
Yes; although your spelling of 'university' is quite another matter.
Original post by AdHominem
What do you mean by a good university, OP?

Edit 1:

I've now seen it. Your GCSEs are good and with some strong A-Levels you will definitely have a fighting chance for a good university. I am sorry to say that you won't really stand much of a chance of getting into Oxford, but Cambridge are less focused on GCSE grades.

Edit 2:

I would, however, advise against retaking maths with a B. This is because, even if you exceed that grade, you will have to declare both on UCAS. Most universities do not tend to like seeing retakes on there.

Wow, that really has enlightened me, I wasn't aware of that whatsoever. Thank you, though unfortunate I've now already payed to retake it, and everything is in place, so I can hardly back down now. As I said, I'm not expecting to go to Oxford/Cambridge, though I can dream aha. Thanks.
Reply 14
Philosophy is half my Religious Studoes course lol, could not do French though, I considered Polotics, but decided against it last minute. How did you fair in you results?

I actually love politics it's just so up to date and I have learnt so many things I wouldn't have known, I did philosophy and ethics at GCSE and I preferred the ethics bit but oh well haha.
my results were :
French A*
History A*
Philosophy& ethics A*
English language A*
English lit A
Geography A
Maths B
Physics B
Chemistry B
Biology C
Drama C

I'm having drama remarked though because the didn't include my practical marks which is annoying ahah
Original post by Profesh
Yes; although your spelling of 'university' is quite another matter.

Oh God, aha, thanks for pointing that out man.
Reply 16

Work hard and it's entirely possible you'll get AAA+ - you did well in the subjects you're taking to A level at GCSE, so you should be looking at As/Bs "realistically," and with a good work ethic and the right revision schedule then you can achieve higher than that. Just be wary of overworking and burning yourself out.

Edit: also, make sure to do some extracurricular stuff, work experience (shadowing a barrister for a week or something) to make your PS stand out, you'll have a much better chance that way
(edited 7 years ago)
Wow, that really has enlightened me, I wasn't aware of that whatsoever. Thank you, though unfortunate I've now already payed to retake it, and everything is in place, so I can hardly back down now. As I said, I'm not expecting to go to Oxford/Cambridge, though I can dream aha. Thanks.

No problem. Focus on getting some relevant extra-curricular activities and you'll be on the home stretch. Reading around the subject and volunteering at a library for example are good ideas. Best of luck. :smile:
Original post by skye99
I actually love politics it's just so up to date and I have learnt so many things I wouldn't have known, I did philosophy and ethics at GCSE and I preferred the ethics bit but oh well haha.
my results were :
French A*
History A*
Philosophy& ethics A*
English language A*
English lit A
Geography A
Maths B
Physics B
Chemistry B
Biology C
Drama C

I'm having drama remarked though because the didn't include my practical marks which is annoying ahah

Ok wow, that's very impressive. Well done.
Original post by BB8
Work hard and it's entirely possible you'll get AAA+ - you did well in the subjects you're taking to A level at GCSE, so you should be looking at As/Bs "realistically," and with a good work ethic and the right revision schedule then you can achieve higher than that. Just be wary of overworking and burning yourself out.

Edit: also, make sure to do some extracurricular stuff, work experience (shadowing a barrister for a week or something) to make your PS stand out, you'll have a much better chance that way

Thankyou for the tips. When would you recommend actually starting revising? I hope not now, though perhaps a week in is the right time lol.

Quick Reply

Latest