The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE's good enough to study law at a good Univesity?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Anonymous471
Ok wow, that's very impressive. Well done.

haha thank you I want to retake my maths though because I know I can do a lot better, and as you can tell I didn't like learning about the human body ahah.
Original post by AdHominem
No problem. Focus on getting some relevant extra-curricular activities and you'll be on the home stretch. Reading around the subject and volunteering at a library for example are good ideas. Best of luck. :smile:

Volunteering at a library? Do you mean as in just giving people books etc?
Original post by skye99
haha thank you I want to retake my maths though because I know I can do a lot better, and as you can tell I didn't like learning about the human body ahah.

I was always awful at science lol, I hear you.
It is A levels which matter.
Volunteering at a library? Do you mean as in just giving people books etc?

Yeah. Law is surprisingly confined to books and reading, so getting experience in that sort of environment could help somewhat. On the other hand, you could try to get some work experience as a paralegal-intern-thing in a legal practice near you. Otherwise, you could start to learn some things about law, such as Jurisprudence.

Edit:

Some interesting advice for you, actually, is that it's a little known fact for most people that people in the legal sector aren't that keen on people with law degrees. In fact, it's potentially more beneficial to you to do a different degree and then do the GDL (graduate diploma in law), as this seems to be a better route. If you choose something at which you are more inclined and then do the GDL, it may help you to seek post-graduate employment more easily.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AdHominem
Yeah. Law is surprisingly confined to books and reading, so getting experience in that sort of environment could help somewhat. On the other hand, you could try to get some work experience as a paralegal-intern-thing in a legal practice near you. Otherwise, you could start to learn some things about law, such as Jurisprudence.

Edit:

Some interesting advice for you, actually, is that it's a little known fact for most people that people in the legal sector aren't that keen on people with law degrees. In fact, it's potentially more beneficial to you to do a different degree and then do the GDL (graduate diploma in law), as this seems to be a better route. If you choose something at which you are more inclined and then do the GDL, it may help you to seek post-graduate employment more easily.

Wow, thanks man, I'll definitely have to bear that in mind. And as for the legal firm, I intend to go somewhere near me for my work experience later this year, and I guess I could work at a library as a Saturday job etc. Thanks a lot man.
Reply 26
Thankyou for the tips. When would you recommend actually starting revising? I hope not now, though perhaps a week in is the right time lol.

Constantly.

Go over your notes from class (if you don't have time to rewrite, just reading them is fine) within 24 hours if possible. Set aside a few hours at the weekend to go over things. Also, keep on top of homework/coursework.

However it's important not to spend all your time revising - healthy eating, a social life, enough sleep etc are all important. The healthier and happier you are, the better your brain works. If you don't already, I'd recommend some form of exercise (sports clubs can also be included in your ps). Avoid drinking too close to exams, and don't go out every weekend (once every couple weeks is fine).

Revise wise. Not more. You will be tempted to go over the things you do understand already, because it's easier, and neglect the things you really need to work on. Identify your weak areas and work on those.

Also, instead of rewriting notes etc as a way to revise, testing yourself is more effective. I made flashcards of pretty much everything. You're doing essay based subjects so make sure you know how to structure things as well.
Original post by BB8
Constantly.

Go over your notes from class (if you don't have time to rewrite, just reading them is fine) within 24 hours if possible. Set aside a few hours at the weekend to go over things. Also, keep on top of homework/coursework.

However it's important not to spend all your time revising - healthy eating, a social life, enough sleep etc are all important. The healthier and happier you are, the better your brain works. If you don't already, I'd recommend some form of exercise (sports clubs can also be included in your ps). Avoid drinking too close to exams, and don't go out every weekend (once every couple weeks is fine).

Revise wise. Not more. You will be tempted to go over the things you do understand already, because it's easier, and neglect the things you really need to work on. Identify your weak areas and work on those.

Also, instead of rewriting notes etc as a way to revise, testing yourself is more effective. I made flashcards of pretty much everything. You're doing essay based subjects so make sure you know how to structure things as well.

Yeah, I'll definitely have to start going over my notes, which I haven't done as of yet, I won't say I eat particularly 'healthily', but my body's still pretty good, my sleep pattern is poor, I'll be the first to admit lol, but can be helped. Would you recommend a certain amount of time, say, an hour a night or something along those lines? And thanks.
Reply 28
Yeah, I'll definitely have to start going over my notes, which I haven't done as of yet, I won't say I eat particularly 'healthily', but my body's still pretty good, my sleep pattern is poor, I'll be the first to admit lol, but can be helped. Would you recommend a certain amount of time, say, an hour a night or something along those lines? And thanks.

Honestly, just as much time as you can spare on top of homework etc, plus downtime. It depends on what the right balance for you is - I couldn't do more than a couple of hours total, but I know people who pretty much worked all night. Learn to know when you should stop and take a break (becoming unfocused and distracted, or more so than usual, is a big sign that you need to slow down)

Quick Reply

Latest