The Student Room Group

How to begin a personal statement?

There's so many ways I feel I could start my personal statement, I just can't find something that sounds decent when on paper... Does anyone have any suggestions on what would help,please

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jessicaac
There's so many ways I feel I could start my personal statement, I just can't find something that sounds decent when on paper... Does anyone have any suggestions on what would help,please

Posted from TSR Mobile

What subject are you applying for?
Reply 2
anything but

since x age i wanted to be y
Some setence starters that may help:

I am applying to study...
I am passionate about...
I think that...
[Degree subject] is interesting because
An area of interestin my degree is...
[Book] stated [topic]...
Since I was x years old...
From the age of...
Two years ago I...

Plan your personal statement:
Intro (Summarise the subject, outline a summary of P1,P2,P3)
Paragraph 1 (Work experience, labs, charities, research)
Paragraph 2 (Books, lectures, magazines like New Scientist)
Paragraph 3 (Personal hobbies that make you stand out, why you can contribute towards your universities diverse clubs etc, a bit of your personality)
Concluding statement
From a very young age ... I'm only kidding lol
I want to study xyz because ....
Reply 6
Original post by Jonquillion
What subject are you applying for?

Criminology

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by oversizedcarrot
Some setence starters that may help:

I am applying to study...
I am passionate about...
I think that...
[Degree subject] is interesting because
An area of interestin my degree is...
[Book] stated [topic]...
Since I was x years old...
From the age of...
Two years ago I...

Plan your personal statement:
Intro (Summarise the subject, outline a summary of P1,P2,P3)
Paragraph 1 (Work experience, labs, charities, research)
Paragraph 2 (Books, lectures, magazines like New Scientist)
Paragraph 3 (Personal hobbies that make you stand out, why you can contribute towards your universities diverse clubs etc, a bit of your personality)
Concluding statement

Thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by VictoriaCoolio
From a very young age ... I'm only kidding lol

I don't think I'd get a second glance with a starter like that haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Once upon a time...
Reply 10
Everybody knows crime doesn't pay...
Reply 11
Original post by RDKGames
Once upon a time...

Great choice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Basically man's a g out here ya get me fam you wastemen need me init. Been on this uni ting since day 1 blud. I ain't no sideman to be rejected don't try violate man before I spark you.

Joking of course. Perhaps just summarise what appeals to you about the particular course you're applying for. Never start with something cliche e.g. From a young age..., I've always been fascinated by..., I genuinely love...

Make it short, sweet and succinct.
Reply 13
Original post by STLJA
Basically man's a g out here ya get me fam you wastemen need me init. Been on this uni ting since day 1 blud. I ain't no sideman to be rejected don't try violate man before I spark you.

Joking of course. Perhaps just summarise what appeals to you about the particular course you're applying for. Never start with something cliche e.g. From a young age..., I've always been fascinated by..., I genuinely love...

Make it short, sweet and succinct.

And make a point of any work experience you've done thats relevant to your course, they love that and it can set you apart from everyone else. Especially when everyone has the same experiences (school, college, etc)
(edited 7 years ago)
It's easier to write your intro after having written the rest
I started mine in the middle, left the opening and ending till last so I could get the main body done and have a focus to work with :smile:
Reply 16
I found that what worked best was to write down all the points I wanted to cover, flesh them out and then go back and write an intro. Once I'd done the bulk of the work it was much easier to see a way to cohesively introduce all my ideas!
As was said before it is easier to tell about things that you want to tell about and things you've got a lot to tell about. Things you're passionate about. This way you will build a skeleton of your personal statement. And a little bit later you will be able to write an introduction or any other part of your personal statement as other personal statement writer do. So think about what you WANT to write first thing on your paper.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by *Interrobang*
It's easier to write your intro after having written the rest

Ah right okay, thank you 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending