The Student Room Group

Pls help low ukcat score

OMG OMG OMG

I'm absolutely distraught, I had my UKCAT today. I came in nearly late to the exam as I had to travel 50 miles to get to a test centre, an guess what there was traffic so I started the VR section with my heart racing like it was competing in the 100m olympic sprint

VR: 600 - In the mocks I was getting 670
.QR: 710 - Surprised myself, I was getting 650 in the mocks.
AR: 590 - 700 in mocks. And they told me it was easier than the modify questions..
SJT: Band 2 - Should have gotten Band 1
Average UKCAT score: 633
Here is my applicant profile.
GCSE: 6 A* 5 A and an A in Additional Maths
Also Deputy Head Boy at my High School.

AS: AAAAB - A's in Maths, Bio, Chem, Physics and a B in Critical Thinking.
Hoping for an A in EPQ this year
A2 Predictions: A*A*A* in Maths, Bio and Chem

Work Experience
1 Week Cardiology
1 Week Respiratory Medicine
1 Week GP placement
10 Months Volunteering at a local Care Home as a Health Care Assistant.Recently got a job as a Health care assistant at another home. It also has a hospice unit and a nursing unit for injuries; I will be able to progress as a carer and develop my caring skills and see new perspectives in the caring profession.

Hobbies : General reading; BMJ , wikipedia. Weightlifting, Cardio.
Been going to extra spanish lessons to improve my spanish.Did NCS.

I'd like to highlight that I came to the UK in Year 5 and English is not my mother tongue. I don't know if Uni's take that into account in any way. Also I am a first generation applicant as well as coming from a bottom 20 percent area in terms of income as well as schools which are not known for their academic achievements. I hope the uni's I'll be applying to will take that into account.

After doing my research I believe that I should do the BMAT and apply to 1 or 2 BMAT unis and non UKCAT heavy unis.Here is a list of what I think are my best options.

Leicester: Gonna have a score of 41/48 and according to some TSR members then that is the cutoff for reaching an Interview. I am an all rounder and it seems like that's what Leicester is looking for in their medicine applicants.

UCL: Went to their Open Day, loved it. Wasn't sure if I wanted to do the BMAT after choosing my choices. I guess now I've got to do it.

Brighton: Another BMAT Uni; a uni that takes into account contextual data. Hearing its highly competitive though.
Lancaster: Another BMAT uni alternative.
Liverpool: I meet their unofficial ' cut off ' of 600 UKCAT points. Also have 18/18 in GCSE points. I will damn right make sure to let them know how committed I am to medicine and how much I value the caring experience that I had at my volunteering and what I want to get out of my employment.
Manchester: I know I know, UKCAT heavy Uni, but after doing a little research, my Area as well as school are ' geographical and educational indicators' which they take into account in their selection process and last year they allowed for a cutoff of 54th Percentile for UKCAT compared to 70th Percentile for 'Non-Geographical and Educational indicator' applicants. So I'm thinking, if 633 is going to be in the 50's in terms of percentile, then I meet their cutoff to reach the next stage which is Stage 3: Non Academic Selection criteria which I'm sure my work experience will come in handy.https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/media/mhs/bmh-faculty/UoM_Medicine_Your_Application_16-17.pdfHYMS:

HYMS: Combines GCSE's and UKCAT- Top 50 percent are given interviews- GCSE's are strong, UKCAT average I might get an Interview here. They too are a Uni that takes into account your geographical area and education so I believe that by God's grace, they would give me a chance at an interview.
UAE: Non- UKCAT heavy

Any advice guys ))
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by eryk_laroche
OMG OMG OMG

I'm absolutely distraught, I had my UKCAT today. I came in nearly late to the exam as I had to travel 50 miles to get to a test centre, an guess what there was traffic so I started the VR section with my heart racing like it was competing in the 100m olympic sprint

VR: 600 - In the mocks I was getting 670
.QR: 710 - Surprised myself, I was getting 650 in the mocks.
AR: 590 - 700 in mocks. And they told me it was easier than the modify questions..
SJT: Band 2 - Should have gotten Band 1
Average UKCAT score: 633
Here is my applicant profile.
GCSE: 6 A* 5 A and an A in Additional Maths
Also Deputy Head Boy at my High School.

AS: AAAAB - A's in Maths, Bio, Chem, Physics and a B in Critical Thinking.
Hoping for an A in EPQ this year
A2 Predictions: A*A*A* in Maths, Bio and Chem

Work Experience
1 Week Cardiology
1 Week Respiratory Medicine
1 Week GP placement
10 Months Volunteering at a local Care Home as a Health Care Assistant.Recently got a job as a Health care assistant at another home. It also has a hospice unit and a nursing unit for injuries; I will be able to progress as a carer and develop my caring skills and see new perspectives in the caring profession.

Hobbies : General reading; BMJ , wikipedia. Weightlifting, Cardio.
Been going to extra spanish lessons to improve my spanish.Did NCS.

I'd like to highlight that I came to the UK in Year 5 and English is not my mother tongue. I don't know if Uni's take that into account in any way. Also I am a first generation applicant as well as coming from a bottom 20 percent area in terms of income as well as schools which are not known for their academic achievements. I hope the uni's I'll be applying to will take that into account.

After doing my research I believe that I should do the BMAT and apply to 1 or 2 BMAT unis and non UKCAT heavy unis.Here is a list of what I think are my best options.

Leicester: Gonna have a score of 41/48 and according to some TSR members then that is the cutoff for reaching an Interview. I am an all rounder and it seems like that's what Leicester is looking for in their medicine applicants.

UCL: Went to their Open Day, loved it. Wasn't sure if I wanted to do the BMAT after choosing my choices. I guess now I've got to do it.

Brighton: Another BMAT Uni; a uni that takes into account contextual data. Hearing its highly competitive though.
Lancaster: Another BMAT uni alternative.
Liverpool: I meet their unofficial ' cut off ' of 600 UKCAT points. Also have 18/18 in GCSE points. I will damn right make sure to let them know how committed I am to medicine and how much I value the caring experience that I had at my volunteering and what I want to get out of my employment.
Manchester: I know I know, UKCAT heavy Uni, but after doing a little research, my Area as well as school are ' geographical and educational indicators' which they take into account in their selection process and last year they allowed for a cutoff of 54th Percentile for UKCAT compared to 70th Percentile for 'Non-Geographical and Educational indicator' applicants. So I'm thinking, if 633 is going to be in the 50's in terms of percentile, then I meet their cutoff to reach the next stage which is Stage 3: Non Academic Selection criteria which I'm sure my work experience will come in handy.https://www.bmh.manchester.ac.uk/media/mhs/bmh-faculty/UoM_Medicine_Your_Application_16-17.pdfHYMS:

HYMS: Combines GCSE's and UKCAT- Top 50 percent are given interviews- GCSE's are strong, UKCAT average I might get an Interview here. They too are a Uni that takes into account your geographical area and education so I believe that by God's grace, they would give me a chance at an interview.
UAE: Non- UKCAT heavy

Any advice guys ))

Your score isn't the best but it isn't the worst too. Stick to schools which are non ukcat heavy, there are several who use it as a last resort to distinguish students who are of the same level but your grades and achievements seem like you will do fine. If you plan on applying to the bmat schools, you have to be sure this same scenario isn't going to occur again or else you'd be wasting an application slot!
Original post by jaysinn
Your score isn't the best but it isn't the worst too. Stick to schools which are non ukcat heavy, there are several who use it as a last resort to distinguish students who are of the same level but your grades and achievements seem like you will do fine. If you plan on applying to the bmat schools, you have to be sure this same scenario isn't going to occur again or else you'd be wasting an application slot!

When you think of non ukcat heavy unis which ones comes to mind the most
Original post by eryk_laroche
When you think of non ukcat heavy unis which ones comes to mind the most

Hey there,

You've got great GCSE grades and predicted A level. Work hard on getting them! As you've got an average-ish UKCAT score, you should definitely apply to universities like Cardiff, who only use the UKCAT in a tie-break situation.

Why not check out this blog: where to apply with a low UKCAT score

Good luck with your application!

The Medic Portal
Your predicted grades should get you an interview at Exeter, Keele had a cut off of 582.5 last year too. I'm in a similar situation to you with 7A* and 3A GCSE and 640 band 2 UKCAT. I am also considering HYMS, UEA and Liverpool! Also looking into Bristol (70% weighting on ps) and Nottingham would be good for you if all your subsections are above 600. EDIT- sorry just looked, your 590 means that you would score 23/30 for UKCAT at Nottingham but your GCSEs are strong for there so you may have a shot. Your GCSEs will be good for all BMAT bar oxbridge. Definitely consider Leicester too!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending