The Student Room Group

Help for C1 graphing: reflections of graphs

I was wondering if someone could clarify some doubts I have on reflections of graphs.
If you're given -f(x), then the graph is reflected in the x-axis and f(-x), then in the x-axis, but I was given the question; write the formula if f(x)= 1/x is reflected in the x-axis. I would have though the answer would be -(1/x) but the answer given was (-1)/x which makes me confused because how would you know if (-1)/x is reflected in the x or y axis. Is there a difference between -1/x and (-1)/x? Another example is -3x^2. How do you know if this is reflected in the x or y axis when brackets aren't used?
Original post by AmbaJade
I was wondering if someone could clarify some doubts I have on reflections of graphs.
If you're given -f(x), then the graph is reflected in the x-axis and f(-x), then in the x-axis, but I was given the question; write the formula if f(x)= 1/x is reflected in the x-axis. I would have though the answer would be -(1/x) but the answer given was (-1)/x which makes me confused because how would you know if (-1)/x is reflected in the x or y axis. Is there a difference between -1/x and (-1)/x? Another example is -3x^2. How do you know if this is reflected in the x or y axis when brackets aren't used?

theyre the same

Quick Reply

Latest