The Student Room Group

Year 13 Maths Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by k.russell
No!! 2sinx is a stretch in the y axis, or an increase in amplitude. This one is much easier to understand imo, if sin(x) = 1, 2sin(x) = 2 simple as that( literally the value of sin(x) multiplied by 2), so the positions of the minima and maxima are the same, but their magnitude increases and the range changes to -2 <-> 2

So sorry to have bothered you (i made a silly mistake :P) - i looked over it again and realised i mixed up the transformations in the first place. But thank you for your help :biggrin:

Maybe you could help with this question:

y = sinx transformed by a sequence of transformations: translation [ 0 pi] , reflection in x-axis, stretch y-direction S.F. 4

i got y = -4sin (x - pi) which is correct.
but it can also be y=4sinx

I know i got it right but how do you get the other answer?
Original post by kiiten
So sorry to have bothered you (i made a silly mistake :P) - i looked over it again and realised i mixed up the transformations in the first place. But thank you for your help :biggrin:

y = sinx transformed by a sequence of transformations: translation [ 0 pi] , reflection in x-axis, stretch y-direction S.F. 4

I don't really get the translation bit you've put in square brackets but that's not important.
If you think about it, sin(x-pi) shifts the graph along one half repeat to the right, so the minima now occurs at 90 degrees, and the maxima at 270. This inversion is the same as what would happen if it was -sin(x), the minima -> the maxima and vica versa. Then obviously they are both multiplied by 4 :smile:
Original post by kiiten

You can also just use trig identities, you know that sin(xπ)=sinxcosπsinπcosx=sinx\sin(x-\pi) = \sin x \cos \pi - \sin \pi \cos x = -\sin x

So 4sin(xπ)=4(sinx)=4sinx-4\sin(x-\pi) = -4(-\sin x) = 4\sin x.
I don't really get the translation bit you've put in square brackets but that's not important.
If you think about it, sin(x-pi) shifts the graph along one half repeat to the right, so the minima now occurs at 90 degrees, and the maxima at 270. This inversion is the same as what would happen if it was -sin(x), the minima -> the maxima and vica versa. Then obviously they are both multiplied by 4 :smile:

Original post by Zacken
You can also just use trig identities, you know that sin(xπ)=sinxcosπsinπcosx=sinx\sin(x-\pi) = \sin x \cos \pi - \sin \pi \cos x = -\sin x

So 4sin(xπ)=4(sinx)=4sinx-4\sin(x-\pi) = -4(-\sin x) = 4\sin x.

Thanks :smile: - that makes sense but i havent come across that trig identity so ill leave it for now.

I dont really get the -sin(x) and multiplied by 4 part. But im not sure if i should just leave it because I dont want to confuse myself as i already got the answer right :3
Original post by kiiten
I need help on a C3 domain and range questions .... again.
Ive been over it twice and thought i understood but then got confused when i got this question wrong.

In simple terms is the domain the x value and the range the y value you get out of the function?

f(x) = (2x +5) / (x - 3)
x E R, x is not equal to 3

for the first part you are told to find the range. I got it as

0< f(x)<= 13 but it should be f(x) E R, f(x) is not equal to 2.

Where have i gone wrong?? (this isnt related to the question but how is R different to x E R)

Could anyone help me on this question before it gets buried - i still dont understand it. :s-smilie:
Original post by kiiten
Could anyone help me on this question before it gets buried - i still dont understand it. :s-smilie:

Why do you think it's 0 < f(x) <= 13

For example x=1x=1 gives f(1)=72=3.5f(1) = \frac{7}{-2} = -3.5 which is a y value that you get out of the function, but it's not in 0 < f(x) <= 13.

Why don't you try sketching the function? You'll see that it outputs every single real number except y=2.

R is the set of real numbers.
Original post by kiiten

Zackens answer is good and you should heed his advice w.r.t. the function, 1/x type functions have an asymptote on both axes so finding the asymptote is basically finding the range.
The capital E type thing means the set of, R means real numbers as Zacken said, so x E R basically just means x is a real number, like x E Z would mean x is an integer (I think)
like x E Z would mean x is an integer (I think)

Yes, that's correct.
Original post by kiiten

You may want to read this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3962531&p=63523885#post63523885 and this http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3354613&p=56184069#post56184069
Original post by kiiten

I'm not quite sure where you got the 0 and 13 from for the range??

Okay, firstly; you need to know the general shape of g(x)=1xg(x)=\frac{1}{x} graph and the fact that this has one horizontal asymptote, and one vertical asymptote. You can even see that this function goes over ALL x and y values EXCEPT those asymptote ones. Here is a graph of your function and g(x)g(x) for comparison:

asdfasdfsadf.PNG

Your function of f(x)=2x+5x3f(x)=\frac{2x+5}{x-3} is a similar to g(x)g(x) as you still have linear (function) over linear as the fraction therefore there will still essentially be ONE horizontal and ONE vertical asymptote as well. You are told the vertical one, x=3x=3, as f(3)f(3) is not valid due to division by 0, this is the straight forward part.

However for the horizontal asymptote, it is trickier to determine it because we need to observe what happens to f(x)f(x) as xx tends to positive/negative infinity, therefore I'd suggest dividing (using long division or otherwise) 2x+52x+5 by x3x-3 and expressing it in the form A+Bx3A+\frac{B}{x-3} which you'd find to be f(x)=2+11x3f(x)=2+\frac{11}{x-3} then consider what happens as x±x\rightarrow \pm \infty. Of course, you can see that the second term goes to 0 therefore you are left with 2; hence the function TENDS to 2 therefore f(x)2f(x) \rightarrow 2 as x±x\rightarrow \pm \infty .

It never reaches 2, therefore it cannot be equal to it. Hence where the f(x)Rf(x) \in \mathbb{R}, f(x)2f(x) \not= 2 comes from.

EXTRA NOTE:

When it comes to finding the horizontal asymptote for this question (and any alike) you may notice that you can divide (just as you can multiply) the top and bottom of the fraction by something. In this case, you can divide top and bottom by xx.

You get left with f(x)=2+5x13x\displaystyle f(x)=\frac{2+ \frac{5}{x} }{ 1- \frac{3}{x} }.

Now if you take the limit as x±x \rightarrow \pm \infty then you can see that 5x\frac{5}{x} AND 3x\frac{3}{x} both go to 0, and your overall fraction is f(x)21f(x)2f(x) \rightarrow \frac{2}{1} \Rightarrow f(x) \rightarrow 2 as we had before.

Hope this helps! I didn't want to just plain out do the question for you, but I'd find this difficult to explain otherwise without raising even more confusion so take it with you because it will definitely help on similar questions as you're now aware of how to approach them with a solid method. This should clear up any confusion you may have about the question. :h:

As an example, find the range and domain for h(x)=3x52x+1\displaystyle h(x)=\frac{3x-5}{2x+1}
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RDKGames
Your function of f(x)=2x+5x3f(x)=\frac{2x+5}{x-3} is a mere set of transformations from g(x)g(x) therefore there will still essentially be ONE horizontal and ONE vertical asymptote.

Er... how?
Original post by Zacken
Er... how?

Whoops, made a mistake in my working. Will edit that part.
Original post by Zacken
Why do you think it's 0 < f(x) <= 13

For example x=1x=1 gives f(1)=72=3.5f(1) = \frac{7}{-2} = -3.5 which is a y value that you get out of the function, but it's not in 0 < f(x) <= 13.

Why don't you try sketching the function? You'll see that it outputs every single real number except y=2.

R is the set of real numbers.

Ok, ill sketch it out - i usually avoid drawing graphs because i normally mess it up and get the question wrong :s-smilie:

So whats the difference between having a domain of R and domain of x E R ?
Original post by kiiten
Ok, ill sketch it out - i usually avoid drawing graphs because i normally mess it up and get the question wrong :s-smilie:

Means the same thing essentially. Having domain of R\mathbb{R} just means the domain is real (and not imaginary as you'd find in Further Maths, so you cannot have f(i)f(i) as x=ix=i is outside reals). xRx \in \mathbb{R} means xx belongs to the set of real numbers. Since xx is the domain, the domain is real.

And if you get more error from sketching graphs, then stick to the methods I provided if you're okay with them.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm not quite sure where you got the 0 and 13 from for the range??

Okay, firstly; you need to know the general shape of g(x)=1xg(x)=\frac{1}{x} graph and the fact that this has one horizontal asymptote, and one vertical asymptote. You can even see that this function goes over ALL x and y values EXCEPT those asymptote ones. Here is a graph of your function and g(x)g(x) for comparison:

asdfasdfsadf.PNG

Your function of f(x)=2x+5x3f(x)=\frac{2x+5}{x-3} is a similar to g(x)g(x) as you still have linear (function) over linear as the fraction therefore there will still essentially be ONE horizontal and ONE vertical asymptote as well. You are told the vertical one, x=3x=3, as f(3)f(3) is not valid due to division by 0, this is the straight forward part.

However for the horizontal asymptote, it is trickier to determine it because we need to observe what happens to f(x)f(x) as xx tends to positive/negative infinity, therefore I'd suggest dividing (using long division or otherwise) 2x+52x+5 by x3x-3 and expressing it in the form A+Bx3A+\frac{B}{x-3} which you'd find to be f(x)=2+11x3f(x)=2+\frac{11}{x-3} then consider what happens as x±x\rightarrow \pm \infty. Of course, you can see that the second term goes to 0 therefore you are left with 2; hence the function TENDS to 2 therefore f(x)2f(x) \rightarrow 2 as x±x\rightarrow \pm \infty .

It never reaches 2, therefore it cannot be equal to it. Hence where the f(x)Rf(x) \in \mathbb{R}, f(x)2f(x) \not= 2 comes from.

EXTRA NOTE:

When it comes to finding the horizontal asymptote for this question (and any alike) you may notice that you can divide (just as you can multiply) the top and bottom of the fraction by something. In this case, you can divide top and bottom by xx.

You get left with f(x)=2+5x13x\displaystyle f(x)=\frac{2+ \frac{5}{x} }{ 1- \frac{3}{x} }.

Now if you take the limit as x±x \rightarrow \pm \infty then you can see that 5x\frac{5}{x} AND 3x\frac{3}{x} both go to 0, and your overall fraction is f(x)21f(x)2f(x) \rightarrow \frac{2}{1} \Rightarrow f(x) \rightarrow 2 as we had before.

Hope this helps! I didn't want to just plain out do the question for you, but I'd find this difficult to explain otherwise without raising even more confusion so take it with you because it will definitely help on similar questions as you're now aware of how to approach them with a solid method. This should clear up any confusion you may have about the question. :h:

As an example, find the range and domain for h(x)=3x52x+1\displaystyle h(x)=\frac{3x-5}{2x+1}

>_< im struggling to understand what you're saying (i think i get the general idea though?). Just the part in bold - what do you mean by that.

Perhaps it would be easier if i always sketched the graph for these type of questions.

Thanks for explaining it :biggrin:
Original post by kiiten
>_< im struggling to understand what you're saying (i think i get the general idea though?). Just the part in bold - what do you mean by that.

Perhaps it would be easier if i always sketched the graph for these type of questions.

Thanks for explaining it :biggrin:

Quite simple. You are finding a certain y coordinate that the graph approaches but never reaches as you keep going along the x-axis, so you are basically going off to infinity along the x-axis in order to get the asymptote. From our equation, we can see that as we go off to infinity, the denomintor will get bigger and bigger, so the overall fraction will go to 0.
Original post by kiiten

You don't have a domain of xR x\in \mathbf{R} , that notation means that R \mathbf{R} is the domain, the real numbers. The notation is notation commonly used when you're talking about sets.
Quite simple. You are finding a certain y coordinate that the graph approaches but never reaches as you keep going along the x-axis, so you are basically going off to infinity along the x-axis in order to get the asymptote. From our equation, we can see that as we go off to infinity, the denomintor will get bigger and bigger, so the overall fraction will go to 0.

So the asymptote will never touch the axis? - you work it the value if it does and then make the range less than that value?

Sorry this topic has been bothering me for ages :frown:
Original post by kiiten
So the asymptote will never touch the axis? - you work it the value if it does and then make the range less than that value?

Sorry this topic has been bothering me for ages :frown:

Sorry but what you've said does not make any sense whatsoever to me.

An asymptote is a straight line (in this case) that the graph approaches, and this case it is also a line that the graph never crosses. y=2y=2 IS that line as we found it (along with x=3 but that is a different asymptote), because f(x)2f(x) \not= 2. The range is everything EXCEPT that value of the asymptote which is why it is important to find it.

In order to work out the asympotote we need to consider what value the function goes to as we pump up xx to infinity. Our initial function form does not make this value seem obvious therefore we manipulate it to get something divided by x. As x goes to infinity, those fractions go to 0 and whatever is left make up that value we need, as I have shown with my examples in the long post.
(edited 7 years ago)
Sorry but what you've said does not make any sense whatsoever to me.

An asymptote is a straight line (in this case) that the graph approaches, and this case it is also a line that the graph never crosses. y=2y=2 IS that line as we found it (along with x=3 but that is a different asymptote), because f(x)2f(x) \not= 2. The range is everything EXCEPT that value of the asymptote which is why it is important to find it.

In order to work out the asympotote we need to consider what value the function goes to as we pump up xx to infinity. Our initial function form does not make this value seem obvious therefore we manipulate it to get something divided by x. As x goes to infinity, those fractions go to 0 and whatever is left make up that value we need, as I have shown with my examples in the long post.

Ye you lost me here. Sorry if i wasted your time but i think i need someone to go through this with me irl :s-smilie: - ill ask my teacher but thanks anyway :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest