The Student Room Group

confused about my funding PLEASE HELP

Hi, I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me out with this.

Last year was my third and final year of my law degree, however shortly before my exams I deferred them due to medical reasons and so did not complete the year.

Because I only finished 3/6 of my modules, I am now returning this september to finish off the remaining modules. My head of year told me he would recommend to the board of examiners that I would attend uni on a full time basis. I received a letter from the Dean with my next year laid out and it said that I will finish my remaining modules and need to attend all lectures and tutorials for all three.

Today however, when I went to register it said that my mode of attendance is 'part time: variable'. I am aware that student finance only will give maintenance grant and loan to me (as I had in previous years) if I am classed as a full time student. I even called up and the confirmed this despite me telling them I am still attending half the year.

There is no way I can live in Bristol and survive without this financial help and I would have very little time to work whilst doing these three remaining modules as there are lectures and tutorials most days. I am going to call up the university tomorrow to ask them whether they can change my status to full time but I am really worrying whether they can't class me as that because I am not doing the full 120 credits.

please can anyone help me as I am really stuck of what to do right now
Reply 1
Original post by bugsy12
I am going to call up the university tomorrow to ask them whether they can change my status to full time but I am really worrying whether they can't class me as that because I am not doing the full 120 credits.

please can anyone help me as I am really stuck of what to do right now

It entirely hinges on how your uni have reported you to SF. If they have classed you as part-time, then SF's hands are tied and they can only pay the Tuition Fee Loan. Your call to the uni is critical. In order to get the Maintenance Loan, they must class you as full-time. Talk to your Head of Year first and see firstly whether he supports you and then whether he can offer any advice about what to do next.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Klix88
It entirely hinges on how your uni have reported you to SF. If they have classed you as part-time, then SF's hands are tied and they can only pay the Tuition Fee Loan. Your call to the uni is critical. In order to get the Maintenance Loan, they must class you as full-time. Talk to your Head of Year first and see firstly whether he supports you and then whether he can offer any advice about what to do next.

thanks so much for your reply. Do you think it is up to the uni discretion whether they think someone is part or full time or is hard and fast rules like to be full time you MUST be attending the entire full course that year?

Also is the registration that I confirm that says part time the exact same that will be passed onto SF or could the one they send to them say different and I am just worrying over nothing right now?
Reply 3
Original post by Klix88

one more question sorry. Is this a new rule ? I know someone who failed some modules a year ago and had to repeat just those modules and he was still given full maintenace loan and grant?
Reply 4
Original post by bugsy12
one more question sorry. Is this a new rule ? I know someone who failed some modules a year ago and had to repeat just those modules and he was still given full maintenace loan and grant?

It has been the case for at least the last 8 years as far as I know.

Unless you know the full background on your friend, we have no way of knowing how he came to be receiving the Maintenance Loan. I wouldn't waste effort worrying about it.

The uni will judge each case individually and it is at their discretion. They should be telling you the same thing they tell SF.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending