The Student Room Group

Eligibilty for Loans From 2nd Year Onward

Hello,
I am a New Zealand citizen who has been living in the UK for the last two years(under a Tier 2 visa) and will be starting a three year undergraduate program in England from the 2016-2017 academic year.

I haven't met the three year residency rule and hence am not eligible for domestic rates at unviersities neither am I eligible for any loans from the government.
However, from the next academic year(2017-2018), I would have lived in the UK for three years.

My question is, from the 2017-2018 academic year, will I be eligible for any loans(student loan/maintenance loan) from the UK government?

Any help is much appreciated!
Reply 1
Original post by gwagon
Hello,
I am a New Zealand citizen who has been living in the UK for the last two years(under a Tier 2 visa) and will be starting a three year undergraduate program in England from the 2016-2017 academic year.

I haven't met the three year residency rule and hence am not eligible for domestic rates at unviersities neither am I eligible for any loans from the government.
However, from the next academic year(2017-2018), I would have lived in the UK for three years.

My question is, from the 2017-2018 academic year, will I be eligible for any loans(student loan/maintenance loan) from the UK government?

Any help is much appreciated!

No.

You need to meet the eligibility requirements from the start of the course. So if you want to defer a year and start when you're eligible, that's fine. You can't start on international fees and change to home fees.
Reply 2
Original post by Juno
No.

You need to meet the eligibility requirements from the start of the course. So if you want to defer a year and start when you're eligible, that's fine. You can't start on international fees and change to home fees.

I understand that I will be billed for international fees for the whole three years, but are you also telling me that I won't be eligible for any loans from year 2 onwards?
Reply 3
Original post by gwagon
I understand that I will be billed for international fees for the whole three years, but are you also telling me that I won't be eligible for any loans from year 2 onwards?

As I've said, you can't change your eligibility during the degree. If you're not eligible for loans at the start then you're not eligible for loans.
Reply 4
Does this eligibility rule apply for all students including UK citizens? I have not applied for the student finance for my first academic year (2016/17), my mum paid for me. But I was hoping to get the student loan from second academic year onwards. Thank you
Reply 5
Original post by Lemonny
Does this eligibility rule apply for all students including UK citizens? I have not applied for the student finance for my first academic year (2016/17), my mum paid for me. But I was hoping to get the student loan from second academic year onwards. Thank you

If you're eligible for loans then of course it doesn't apply - you're not trying to change your eligibility!

:banghead:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending