The Student Room Group

How to get a B in a level biology?

I'm in year 12 and just started my a levels. I've chosen biology along with psychology and media. I've been constantly hearing how hard of an a level biology is and how very few people actually pass. I'm doing the new 2015 spec & I've heard how much harder it is. My question is how to get a B in a level biology? I'm not trying to aim for an A because I know it's unrealistic and people who are really clever don't even get an A. I got a B at biology GCSE so does this mean I most likely can't even get a B at a level? Has anyone got tips on how to get a B overall in a level biology. I'm not really good at science, well I know most things just not in depth like the others in my class who did triple science GCSE whereas I did double science. I'm really scared for biology because of how hard everyone said it is. Please, any tips and advice would be so amazing.
You'll do good as long as you find things that help all the cycles and such make sense!!

I got a B in Bio GCSE as well but I'm getting As atm (I'm with that disgusting new spec too...) so I'm sure you'll be grand!

I'd recommend trying to use different resources and POVs to just understand the fundemental processes and such like for example with cells and organelles just remember their ultrastructure, functions and keep going over it in your head and after a while it'll just feel like the right thing because repetition. Also make sure to keep ahead! My teachers in year 12 always shoved lots of work on us expecting us to kind of know the content but extra-reading was good for that.

Feel free to message me for help on understanding if you want also and I'll do my best! :smile:

tl;dr just try to get an idea of the processes and how they flow, try to read ahead so you know what questions you need to ask in class and yeah
Reply 2
Original post by everythingice
You'll do good as long as you find things that help all the cycles and such make sense!!

I got a B in Bio GCSE as well but I'm getting As atm (I'm with that disgusting new spec too...) so I'm sure you'll be grand!

I'd recommend trying to use different resources and POVs to just understand the fundemental processes and such like for example with cells and organelles just remember their ultrastructure, functions and keep going over it in your head and after a while it'll just feel like the right thing because repetition. Also make sure to keep ahead! My teachers in year 12 always shoved lots of work on us expecting us to kind of know the content but extra-reading was good for that.

Feel free to message me for help on understanding if you want also and I'll do my best! :smile:

tl;dr just try to get an idea of the processes and how they flow, try to read ahead so you know what questions you need to ask in class and yeah

Thank you so much! How much do you revise daily?
I also got a B at GCSE Biology and im also doing it for A level. Im currently in year 12 and i do find it difficult but i am trying to change the way i revise for example, the technique and more time revising. It would be appreciated if i also got some tips to get an A although people have said to be it is unlikely to get an A if you had a B at GCSE. Unfortunately im also doing the new spec :frown:
Original post by rdlewiss
Thank you so much! How much do you revise daily?

Tbh with you I don't revise biology as much as I should but I do some reading, use the textbook and external notes to make some paper notes and listen to some crash course when I'm having hard time understanding something or just want clarity on how it flows together whilst i'm walking which I find helps me relax and make sense of it a little bit better.

I did most of my last year revision last minute though haha- I just typed up notes on things I needed to get clear in my head and made sure all of it made sense to me so I knew I could apply it well!

Hope that helped haha! :biggrin:
Reply 5
The new spec is the worst! I'd be less stressed if it was the old spec ugh. I hope you get the advice you need & get the grades you want!! Good luck
To be honest, you don't need to be clever to get a good grade in biology. I know this because I got 4A's at AS last year (new spec) doing triple science and maths.

For biology all you need to do is revise hard. Spend a lot more time at home going through what you did in class lessons and basically memorise everything on the spec.

When it comes to exam time, bang out past papers and questions (old spec ones included) and know what the questions and mark schemes are like.

I know it sounds like a lot, but that's why clever people can still slip up, because they haven't revised enough. It's better to start now than later. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by LogicIsKey
To be honest, you don't need to be clever to get a good grade in biology. I know this because I got 4A's at AS last year (new spec) doing triple science and maths.

For biology all you need to do is revise hard. Spend a lot more time at home going through what you did in class lessons and basically memorise everything on the spec.

When it comes to exam time, bang out past papers and questions (old spec ones included) and know what the questions and mark schemes are like.

I know it sounds like a lot, but that's why clever people can still slip up, because they haven't revised enough. It's better to start now than later. :smile:

Wow 4A's! Congrats that's really good. That's my dream lol. Yeah I've started just reading and trying to learn off by heart eveything that I've been learning but I'm so scared that's it's going to get more hard as everything we've learnt so far isn't that tricky.
Hey guys,

SO I achieved an A in A Level Biology and I thought I'd share some wisdom. Could have prob got an A* but got quite lazy with the final unit. And I cannot stress enough how much these resources have helped me. Basically, I used them for the old spec. But now the author seems to have created resources for the NEW spec and they are on this website. www.gapteaching.com
They aren't too expensive either and you get SO much depth and detail from them.
Honestly, my number one tip is to go into UNDERSTAND things fully and the only way you can really do that is if you use resources as detailed as these in order to truly get a full grasp of the concepts. Honestly in class the teachers mostly just brush over things. And the textbooks especially the official OCR book is so crap. You really need to find resources outside of this. Research, research, research is key. By the end of all this, your exam will feel so simple and easy because of how well you've understood everything before. I find that if I study something in detail, then my mind also kind of automatically picks it up because I just understand it so much better. When you understand something you can actually recall it. And I believe this is really the secret to doing well at A Level Biology.
Reply 9
Hi I do Aqa I was wondering if that resource would still be useful to me?
Reply 10
Original post by Luminique
Hey guys,

SO I achieved an A in A Level Biology and I thought I'd share some wisdom. Could have prob got an A* but got quite lazy with the final unit. And I cannot stress enough how much these resources have helped me. Basically, I used them for the old spec. But now the author seems to have created resources for the NEW spec and they are on this website. www.gapteaching.com
They aren't too expensive either and you get SO much depth and detail from them.
Honestly, my number one tip is to go into UNDERSTAND things fully and the only way you can really do that is if you use resources as detailed as these in order to truly get a full grasp of the concepts. Honestly in class the teachers mostly just brush over things. And the textbooks especially the official OCR book is so crap. You really need to find resources outside of this. Research, research, research is key. By the end of all this, your exam will feel so simple and easy because of how well you've understood everything before. I find that if I study something in detail, then my mind also kind of automatically picks it up because I just understand it so much better. When you understand something you can actually recall it. And I believe this is really the secret to doing well at A Level Biology.

I am considering buying this but before I do what do you mean by them being very detailed?
i got an A in biology a level, just make sure that you are revising constantly throughout the year, keeping on top of Ur knowledge, because new spec bio has a heck of a lot of content, and cramming just will not do. Some people in my school tried this, and ended up failing, so bio is defo very content heavy and memorisation based! As you get closer to the exams, say a few months before, start practising past papers to test yourself, and learn the exam technique/applied and synoptic questions as this will get a lot of marks. Bio isn't just memorisation. But yeah the key is just to be revising constantly throughout the year (Cannot stress it enough!!!) so come exam/past paper time you will have all/almost all the knowledge, and the time leading up to exams can be spent on technique/exam time management. Good Luck!
Reply 12
I got a B in Biology A-level and was pretty down about it. I'd say past paper after past paper. Constantly re-cap and write down specific vocab that you'll need to use or else you'll lose easy marks. (E.g complementary). Learn example answers to questions that come up often. I'd say to also make sure you understand what you are learning (obviously) and make sure you're certain you can apply your knowledge.
yes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending