The Student Room Group

Chemistry-Chromatography

Hi, could someone in simple terms explain mobile phase and stationary phase in chromatography to me? I don't really understand it :/
They all have a stationary phase (a solid, or a liquid supported on a solid) and a mobile phase (a liquid or a gas). The mobile phase flows through the stationary phase and carries the components of the mixture with it.
From this, I can infer that the mobile phase would be the solid colour at the bottom of the filter paper, and the water is absorbed by the paper, the colour, which was once solid moves into the stationary phase, in which it is mixed with the water, travelling upward, therefore it can be referred to as a liquid, by becoming a part of the liquid.
Original post by jsk800
They all have a stationary phase (a solid, or a liquid supported on a solid) and a mobile phase (a liquid or a gas). The mobile phase flows through the stationary phase and carries the components of the mixture with it.
From this, I can infer that the mobile phase would be the solid colour at the bottom of the filter paper, and the water is absorbed by the paper, the colour, which was once solid moves into the stationary phase, in which it is mixed with the water, travelling upward, therefore it can be referred to as a liquid, by becoming a part of the liquid.

Thank you so much! I understand it now!
Original post by MartynaJP6
Thank you so much! I understand it now!

No problem!

Quick Reply

Latest