The Student Room Group

Is the dream of studying medicine over? Bad A2 Results - Extenuating Circumstances?

(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Talk to the universities you are interested in and explain your extenuating circumstances.
A few options are still available to you, but first you need to find out about the extenuating circumstances bit. Email the universities you're interested in, pester them until they reply. If it takes more than 2 weeks to receive a reply - call them. Once you find out about it, you can decide what to do next. So I'll just leave these few tips you can consider if you like:

Take a gap year and resit the exams if possible. Improve your academic achievements. Get work experience, volunteer. Stay proactive. Here's a guide that may help you decide on the activities during gap year: click me.

Another route could be, do a degree in life sciences and achieve well so you can apply as a graduate. Any route is competitive when it comes to medicine, but I'm sure being dedicated and hard working will take you there.

If you decide to take a gap year, you'll find out more about the career itself, who knows, maybe you'll discover new interests and choose a different career prospect.

I wish you the best of luck, so sorry to hear about the anaemia!
Definitely don't give up medicine, your AS grades show you're definitely capable
Yes, the admissions team :smile:
I think you should resit , the Bs should be able yo go up to As quite easily and just work hard on that D :smile: where did you apply last times and what was your Ukcat (I'm applying this year and mines soooooo low) :frown: :frown: ?
I'm sure youll get in next Year! :wink: I got 640 but I've been told by my school that it's really bad and also Manchester is where i really wanted to go but I've been told that it's waaay too low for them :/ did you get any interviews last time or just rejections?
Ok thank you, yeah I'm going to look around and if not I will take a gap year! Maybe keele as well but they want A*AA :/ good luck with your resits, I hope you get in :smile:
Reply 8
Most Med Schools will say that you should have applied for extenuating circumstances at the time you sat your A2s, and are unlikely to accept them as a reason for your low A2 grades/resits at this stage, I'm afraid. You can contact the admissions teams of any Unis you are particularly interested in, but I would do this BEFORE you apply to ensure they will accept your circumstances.
However, there are some Med Schools that are happy to accept A levels taken over 3 years without extenuating circumstances. I am not sure how up to date I am, but it certainly used to be: Liverpool, UEA, BSMS, Exeter, Plymouth. Some want you to have got higher grades than you did first time round, and some (most) expect you to get A* in any subjects you resit.
I suspect you may be better taking this year to resit and then having a gap year and applying with achieved grades, as trying to research all this, study for BMAT, if you decide to sit this, keep up WE/extracurriculars, etc as well as work for A2s may jeopardise your grades again.
Good luck
Did you fill in the extenuating circumstances form and present it to the board?

Make a phone call to the universities and explain your circumstances to them to see if they would accept results

Remove all of the universities that won't accept resits

Secondly I would focus this year on your resits and when it comes to filling UCAS form, use the 5th choice for biomedical route. Could you think about the 6 year medical route?

Good luck with your application

Access to HE in Social Work

BSc Health and Social Care - pending
Reply 10
Achieve the required grades and apply next year then take a gap year.
Reply 11
But that will take you 3 years, and admissions is even more crazy competitive for GEM.
Why don't you apply for alternative courses and if you get the grades for medicine, then consider another gap year, as you will still be ahead of the game compared to taking another degree?
If you can't get your money back it may be worth sitting it anyway to get a feel of it as apparently scores improve the next time you take it in a lot of cases. Plus if you get a good score it could boost your confidence.
Reply 13
Original post by redhelen
If you can't get your money back it may be worth sitting it anyway to get a feel of it as apparently scores improve the next time you take it in a lot of cases. Plus if you get a good score it could boost your confidence.

I wish mine did!! went from 725 to 697!! gutted lol
Reply 14
UEA or Bristol are the only ones where I can meet the criteria currently! :frown:
Reply 15
Yes, everything else still said earlier in the thread will still apply, but with the required grades (likely to be A*AA at least) then there may well be 5 or 6 medical schools that would look at your application
Guys I really need some advice, my school have filled out an extenuating circumstances form for me and have sent it to Exeter University, but I'm not sure whether or not they'll take it into consideration? Basically my mum had been diagnosed with stage 3 cancer late march and I haven't been able to revise properly as I've had to look after her and my 3 sisters. I don't know why I feel like they wont...? I've applied for Medical sciences and need AAB, so far exams haven't went great and I'm really scared that I won't be able to get in. I've tried so hard to get into Exeter now I feel like it's just a distant dream. I'm not sure if I should call them personally or?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending