The Student Room Group

My mum is stopping me from doing what l want

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I'm in a similar situation so I'm just going to apply for unis out of my city. Family can't do anything once it's gone through. Why not do the same?

Becayse she needs to weigh up the consequences. Not all families are the same. We dont know what her mum is like. Sge could throw her out which means nowhere to stay and very bad relations. She needs to be ready for that.
Reply 21
To start with stop complaining about it online and ignore her.
Have a serious discussion about why she doesn't want you to study further away.
Is it because she's concerned about money, your safety or does she just not trust you?
Original post by 999tigger
Bot if you are dloing a course you dont enjoy, in a sbject which is no use and at a uni you dislike.

Your perception is you don't like it. You may fond it okay. The people make the course for me in less your complètent set then talk to her. Dépending on how flexible she is she may come round but you cant just run off. Unless youre being abused at home eould be the only reason I would run away, do try to understand her point of view.
Original post by Anonymous
Your perception is you don't like it. You may fond it okay. The people make the course for me in less your complètent set then talk to her. Dépending on how flexible she is she may come round but you cant just run off. Unless youre being abused at home eould be the only reason I would run away, do try to understand her point of view.

Why shouldnt she pick the course she wants and stufy at the uni she wants?

This is especially so considering its her and not her mum who will be paying back the tens of thousands of £'s over the next 30 years. She's an adult and can pick her own course. The mother has no expertise that we know of and hasnt been to Uni.

You can make friends on any course, She has just as much if not a better chance on making friends on a course she wnats to be on. You go to uni principally to study. Ofc she can choose her own course and go to uni to study it. That is her choice and not a parents. Its ludcirous a parent thinks they have a right to dictate what course their child studies.
this is sooo like asian parent
Don't even know what to do, so i'l try talking to her like a thousand times!
You can't put up with this bs, speak to your father and if he rejects your wish for no valid reason, refuse to go to any university or college.
I know the feeling bruh, my parents aren't exactly the smartest either. Gl
Original post by the.chantele
Like l said she's an african parent, l can't just do that. I was taught to follow the rules of your parents and all that.

So was I

But I still kicked up a fuss large enough so I could move out. I chose my own course, but I wasn't allowed to choose the university (and I still regret it to this day) and I wasn't allowed to move out, despite the rest of my siblings choosing whatever they wanted
Maybe you could manage it, but there was no way I could manage living at home for 5 more years and still keep my sanity

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending