The Student Room Group

Medicine Re-applicants 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Millie-3
hi everyone! Just gonna introduce myself. I missed my offer this year (A*AB) so I'm back to try again. I previously held an offer at QUB and Liverpool. I'm gonna resit the B and hope for an A* this time. I got 705 average on the UKCAT. PS is in the works. What else? Oh yeah, currently thinking about unis. What looks good guys?

Hey me too I got AAB and missed 2 offers that I had. Currently working on ukcat. congrats on the amazing score!! :smile: do u have any advice? where are you thinking of applying? and try and get some work experience this year, show that you're keeping busy xx
Original post by stormer1
Hey me too I got AAB and missed 2 offers that I had. Currently working on ukcat. congrats on the amazing score!! :smile: do u have any advice? where are you thinking of applying? and try and get some work experience this year, show that you're keeping busy xx

Thanks :smile: as for tips, all I can say is that it's much more pleasant second time around. I started a month before and worked every weekday. I got Medify and did at least 3 hours of work each day so that I'd build up resistence to tiring because the real thing can seem so long. I also recommend the Kaplan book for practice but do not follow some of the advice which is very flawed. I kept all the mocks for the final week before my test and did one every day. I won't pay much attention to the scores themselves just what generally I need to work on. Finally, on test day I didn't do decision making. I don't know if that's something I should be recommending but it worked for me. My friend was doing the test at the exact same time as me and she said she was exhausted after DM and couldn't recover fully before going into QR. On the other hand I took 5 mins of the DM time to just chill, calm myself and then go on. QR was my highest section (740). I just don't see the point in this group doing it because we don't know our score. Our unis don't know our score. And of enough of us do badly, then the following groups may find it easier to score higher on that section.

Right, I'll end my sermon now. All the best, and let me know how you get on!
Reply 42
I'm a retired GP (either that or this is a long career break, I'm not yet sure!!). My daughter was a resit reapplicant 2 years ago having originally applied 3 years ago (3 interviews, no offers, AAB). She is now a second year at Peninsula and loving it (4 interviews, 3.1 offers, A*A*AA).

We all know the stats and how tough this is but it does work out sometimes so don't lose heart.

I have supported loads of potential medics over the last 2 years most of whom were on their second application cycle and my word of advice to you all is that interview skills can be learned so don't believe anyone who tells you that you should turn up to interview 'natural' or 'unprepared' - they are either numpties or else being ruthlessly competitive.

Apply tactically, prepare well and reap the rewards…

Oh and don't feel like second class citizens; re-sitters are more determined, more committed, more mature, have higher tariff points, are more confident, more worldly wise and make really solid (dare I say better?) med students/doctors; that's why the re-sit-friendly universities put up almost no barriers to them: they know that they're onto a good thing and would prefer that other med schools don't wise-up to it!

Good luck!
Hi everyone, I'm a gap year student and I'm really struggling to write my personal statement. I still have mine from last year but I heard that we're not allowed to reuse it :/ and someone said that you only write about stuff you've already completed. Is that true?? Can someone please reply!!
From what I know and have asked on UCAS you are allowed to use the same personal statement. I am also a gap year student and am practically keeping all my ps the same.
Original post by Lostalltime
From what I know and have asked on UCAS you are allowed to use the same personal statement. I am also a gap year student and am practically keeping all my ps the same.

Thank youuu! Do you know if you should only write about stuff you've already completed?
Original post by Batool1997
Thank youuu! Do you know if you should only write about stuff you've already completed?

I think it would be best to write about the things you've already done and what you gained from it but I see no harm in writing about what your plans are for the rest of the year.
To help out my fellow resitters, here are the fruits of my research about universities that we can apply to. All information is based on direct correspondence from the unis themselves from August to September this year.

QUB: open to applicants who applied there last year, degree of success irrelevant. If you held an offer from them last year, you will get full marks on their academic scale. this makes interview likely even with an average UKCAT score. Offer conditional on repeating ALL of the modules (AS and A2) in the subject you got a B in, and you must have A in all modules.

BSMS: No conditions on what to repeat. Offer conditional on getting a A. BMAT uni. AAB minimum grade requirement.

UEA: No conditions on what to repeat. Offer conditional on getting a A*. UKCAT required. ABB grade requirement minimum - if you achieve AAB your offer will be A*, if ABB offer will be A*A.

Exeter: Typical offer range A*AA-AAA. No conditions on what to repeat. UKCAT. CCC minimum

Liverpool: No conditions on what to repeat. Offer conditional on getting a A*. UKCAT required. REQUIRES A REFLECTION PARAGRAPH IN THE PS ON THE NEED TO RESIT. CCC minimum again.

Plymouth: Typical offer AAA. No conditions on what to repeat. UKCAT. Has individual section cut offs, so maybe smart to avoid if you do worse than average in one section. AAB minimum

Lancaster: Typical offer range A*AA-AAA. No conditions on what to repeat. BMAT. ABB minimum without mitigation, CCC with. ALSO needs the reflective statement about resitting. Basically v similar to Liverpool haha

Cardiff (I think you need to have applied to Cardiff the year before?) and HYMS require mitigating circumstances, which I dont think the majority of us have. If i have anything wrong here, or you know something i havent included, please let me know. I think it is useful to have all our options within one post.
(edited 7 years ago)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Blatezboy
Did you have extenuating circumstances because I thought that Imperial didn't allow resit applicants unless they had extenuating circumstances?

Thanks guys :smile:

I wasn't a retake applicant - I didn't get an offer first timer round. :smile:
Hi everyone, I'm a gap year student and i'm really struggling with my options this year. My UKCAT score is quite low so my options are very limited and I got a grade B in english language so that also limits my options :frown: I really need help, If anyone has any suggestions please let me know :smile:
My stats are:
GCSEs: 8A*s, 2As, 2Bs and a C
AS: AAAAA
A-Level: A*A*AA
UKCAT: 630 :/ and band 2

I would like to apply to Kings but my UKCAT score isn't good enough, UEA and Bristol want an A in english language so I can't apply there. I applied for Birmingham last yer and got rejected after my interview ( they don't accept re-applicnats :frown: ) My only safe options are Cardiff and Exeter. can someone please suggest medical schools that might want to interview me?
Hi everyone, I'm a gap year student and i'm really struggling with my options this year. My UKCAT score is quite low so my options are very limited and I got a grade B in english language so that also limits my options :frown: I really need help, If anyone has any suggestions please let me know :smile:
My stats are:
GCSEs: 8A*s, 2As, 2Bs and a C
AS: AAAAA
A-Level: A*A*AA
UKCAT: 630 :/ and band 2

I would like to apply to Kings but my UKCAT score isn't good enough, UEA and Bristol want an A in english language so I can't apply there. I applied for Birmingham last yer and got rejected after my interview ( they don't accept re-applicnats :frown: ) My only safe options are Cardiff and Exeter. can someone please suggest medical schools that might want to interview me?

What did you get in English Lit?
Reply 52
Hello all, I'm also applying this year, however this is my first application for medicine (I am also on a gap year though). I was looking at Keele and they said regarding UKCAT "we exclude total scores in the bottom 20% nationally..."

How do you know what is in the bottom 20%? I got 653 average is that in the bottom 20%?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mikejordan97
What did you get in English Lit?

I got an A in English lit
Original post by Kwaks
Hello all, I'm also applying this year, however this is my first application for medicine (I am also on a gap year though). I was looking at Keele and they said regarding UKCAT "we exclude total scores in the bottom 20% nationally..."

How do you know what is in the bottom 20%? I got 653 average is that in the bottom 20%?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No that's defineltly higher than the 2nd decile
Reply 55
No that's defineltly higher than the 2nd decile

Thank you, I was getting worried :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr Gin
I'm a retired GP (either that or this is a long career break, I'm not yet sure!!). My daughter was a resit reapplicant 2 years ago having originally applied 3 years ago (3 interviews, no offers, AAB). She is now a second year at Peninsula and loving it (4 interviews, 3.1 offers, A*A*AA). We all know the stats and how tough this is but it does work out sometimes so don't lose heart. I have supported loads of potential medics over the last 2 years most of whom were on their second application cycle and my word of advice to you all is that interview skills can be learned so don't believe anyone who tells you that you should turn up to interview 'natural' or 'unprepared' - they are either numpties or else being ruthlessly competitive. Apply tactically, prepare well and reap the rewards… Oh and don't feel like second class citizens; re-sitters are more determined, more committed, more mature, have higher tariff points, are more confident, more worldly wise and make really solid (dare I say better?) med students/doctors; that's why the re-sit-friendly universities put up almost no barriers to them: they know that they're onto a good thing and would prefer that other med schools don't wise-up to it! Good luck!

*First year at BSMS here! Dr Gin was so supportive when I was applying and has inspired me to do the same. I resat, so if anyone has any questions about resitting or BSMS itself, fire away! Also something to note resitters is that Keele want you to have your grades in hand when you apply - meaning you need to take a second gap year to apply there.

Original post by Millie-3
To help out my fellow resitters, here are the fruits of my research about universities that we can apply to. All information is based on direct correspondence from the unis themselves from August to September this year.

QUB: open to applicants who applied there last year, degree of success irrelevant. If you held an offer from them last year, you will get full marks on their academic scale. this makes interview likely even with an average UKCAT score. Offer conditional on repeating ALL of the modules (AS and A2) in the subject you got a B in, and you must have A in all modules.

BSMS: No conditions on what to repeat. Offer conditional on getting a A. BMAT uni. AAB minimum grade requirement.

UEA: No conditions on what to repeat. Offer conditional on getting a A*. UKCAT required. ABB grade requirement minimum - if you achieve AAB your offer will be A*, if ABB offer will be A*A.

Exeter: Typical offer range A*AA-AAA. No conditions on what to repeat. UKCAT. CCC minimum

Liverpool: No conditions on what to repeat. Offer conditional on getting a A*. UKCAT required. REQUIRES A REFLECTION PARAGRAPH IN THE PS ON THE NEED TO RESIT. CCC minimum again.

Plymouth: Typical offer AAA. No conditions on what to repeat. UKCAT. Has individual section cut offs, so maybe smart to avoid if you do worse than average in one section. AAB minimum

Lancaster: Typical offer range A*AA-AAA. No conditions on what to repeat. BMAT. ABB minimum without mitigation, CCC with. ALSO needs the reflective statement about resitting. Basically v similar to Liverpool haha

Cardiff (I think you need to have applied to Cardiff the year before?) and HYMS require mitigating circumstances, which I dont think the majority of us have. If i have anything wrong here, or you know something i havent included, please let me know. I think it is useful to have all our options within one post.

*I also thought I should add the minimum grade requirements to apply to each. Feel free to correct if I've missed anything!
Original post by AnnekaChan173
*First year at BSMS here! Dr Gin was so supportive when I was applying and has inspired me to do the same. I resat, so if anyone has any questions about resitting or BSMS itself, fire away! Also something to note resitters is that Keele want you to have your grades in hand when you apply - meaning you need to take a second gap year to apply there.

*I also thought I should add the minimum grade requirements to apply to each. Feel free to correct if I've missed anything!

That's brilliant, thanks for that! I'll add it into the previous post too just in case
Reply 58

Hi! Congrats on getting a place at BSMS! I got AAB so will be reapplying and like the look of BSMS, I was just wondering how you revised for the BMAT and for how long and how you found it in general. As I didn't do it last year, I'm quite worried about it, any advice would be great, thanks!
Original post by Cal1234
Hi! Congrats on getting a place at BSMS! I got AAB so will be reapplying and like the look of BSMS, I was just wondering how you revised for the BMAT and for how long and how you found it in general. As I didn't do it last year, I'm quite worried about it, any advice would be great, thanks!

thanks! I did badly, I had crippling tonsillitis at the time, but I went to a course and did questions from the book they gave. I made sure I did X questions from each section so I didn't work too much in one area and little in another. One thing I'd say is work on the essay! I only did one practice essay so mine didn't go as well as it should have. Do as many as and send them to old teachers to have a read of ^^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending