The Student Room Group

Year 13 Maths Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kiiten
Ye you lost me here. Sorry if i wasted your time but i think i need someone to go through this with me irl :s-smilie: - ill ask my teacher but thanks anyway :smile:

Do you understand why the fractions go to 0 as x goes to infinity? If you understand this, then you should understand how we are left with the asymptote value.
Original post by RDKGames
Do you understand why the fractions go to 0 as x goes to infinity? If you understand this, then you should understand how we are left with the asymptote value.

not really - i thought that it would go to 0 when x goes towards 3 :s-smilie:
Original post by kiiten
not really - i thought that it would go to 0 when x goes towards 3 :s-smilie:

But x isn't going towards 3?? x is going towards infinity. The 3 is something we consider with the VERTICAL asympotote and we already established this previously. Now we are dealing with the horizontal asymptote so the 3 has nothing to do with it. If x was to approach 3 then the function's value would shoot to infinity because x=3 is an asymptote.

1/1=11/1=1
1/10=0.11/10=0.1
1/100=0.011/100=0.01
1/1000=0.0011/1000=0.001

and so on. As the denominator goes to infinity, the fraction goes to 0. The numerator can be anything, the fraction will still go to 0, which is what we apply to the question. Simple observation you should be aware of.
(edited 7 years ago)
But x isn't going towards 3?? x is going towards infinity. The 3 is something we consider with the VERTICAL asympotote and we already established this previously. Now we are dealing with the horizontal asymptote so the 3 has nothing to do with it. If x was to approach 3 then the function's value would shoot to infinity because x=3 is an asymptote.

1/1=11/1=1
1/10=0.11/10=0.1
1/100=0.011/100=0.01
1/1000=0.0011/1000=0.001

and so on. As the denominator goes to infinity, the fraction goes to 0. The numerator can be anything, the fraction will still go to 0, which is what we apply to the question. Simple observation you should be aware of.

Ohh yea i understand that. I just need to go over considering the horizontal and vertical asymptotes separately again
Original post by kiiten
Ohh yea i understand that. I just need to go over considering the horizontal and vertical asymptotes separately again

Okay, just ask your teacher concerning the two then. I don't think I can explain it any simpler than that, sorry. You can also see it from the graph that for the horizontal asympotote you must go off to infinity along the x-axis in order to approach it, so it makes sense from that perspective.
Okay, just ask your teacher concerning the two then. I don't think I can explain it any simpler than that, sorry. You can also see it from the graph that for the horizontal asympotote you must go off to infinity along the x-axis in order to approach it, so it makes sense from that perspective.

I appreciate your help anyway - thanks :smile:
Reply 746
Despite bumping it numerous times, the Year 12 Maths Thread is still dead so far. What can I do to revive it?
Original post by Palette
Despite bumping it numerous times, the Year 12 Maths Thread is still dead so far. What can I do to revive it?

Leave it dead. Y12s clearly don't need it :tongue:
Original post by Palette

Skip to may, then they ask what y=mx+c is before the C1 exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Skip to may, then they ask what y=mx+c is before the C1 exam

Posted from TSR Mobile

10 minutes before a uni exam for a module called ODEs and Control, someone jokingly asked 'what is an ODE and how do I control one?'. I cracked up.

@Jellyxx are you still stuck? :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SeanFM
10 minutes before a uni exam for a module called ODEs and Control, someone jokingly asked 'what is an ODE and how do I control one?'. I cracked up.

No, but thank you for inquiring! :biggrin:

Edit: Probably won't be the last of me you will see. I'll come back soon with another question :colonhash:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 751
Leave it dead. Y12s clearly don't need it :tongue:

What explains why the Year 12 thread has died while the Year 13 thread is thriving?
Original post by Palette
What explains why the Year 12 thread has died while the Year 13 thread is thriving?

Year 12s became yr 13s lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Palette

Because Y13 maths is harder? Dunno.
Original post by SeanFM

Lol.
Hahahahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why were fp3 edexcel grade boundaries so much higher than last year and do people reckon they will remain higher or is it common for one year a papers boundaries just shoot up and back down
Also nhow does fp3s difficulty compare to s3 m2 fp2
Reply 756
Original post by physicsmaths
Lol.
Hahahahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

From your experience, which is harder: BMO 1 geometry or STEP I geometry?
Original post by Palette
From your experience, which is harder: BMO 1 geometry or STEP I geometry?

BMO1
STEP doesn't have a huge amount of geometry tbh
Can someone check if this is right so far...

NOTE: sorry the pic is the wrong way around it wouldnt let me rotate it. Ill take it properly next time :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kiiten
Can someone check if this is right so far...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes it is

Quick Reply

Latest