The Student Room Group

Economics help

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Im confused with income elastity of demand. econplus dal said that an inferior good has a negative value (which I get) but the normal good confused me. he said it can be either a normal necessity or luxary. so a positive yed >1 is a luxary (I get that). but then a negative yed figure <1 is a necesiity. but he said earlier that a negative value is an inferior good?!!! so wth ? :/ @zainyyyyy @citibankrec
Reply 41
Original post by zainyyyyy
Ok answering an essay question really easy teachers just complicate it for no reason.
first paragraph should be defining all key words in your essay question

second paragraph should consist of the strongest point you have. When examiners read the essay they will get bored and only remember first and last thing. So leave a good impression.

third paragraph is your second point, get this point from the extract and elaborate on this.

fourth is another point also get this from the extract. It is better to get points from the extract rather than your head as the extract points can be backed up.

conclusion is not really a conclusion. Its more of a summary of how you should answer the question and deciding what the question is asking about, Make the answer a yes or no question and dont stand on the fence. Standing on the fence makes it seem youre asking a question

Also, i mean also EVALUATE EVERY POINT AND ANSWER THE QUESTION IN EVERY PARAGRAPH
Also, i mean also EVALUATE EVERY POINT AND ANSWER THE QUESTION IN EVERY PARAGRAPH

repeating it so you'll understand how important this is

why did you not mention diagrams? my teacher said they're important
Reply 42
forgot to say to include diagrams ffs... diagrams is like 1/3 of the marks
Original post by Jane122
why did you not mention diagrams? my teacher said they're important
Reply 43
Hello, I am an A2 student who got a B at AS Level and i am willing to help out anyone with any economic related questions.

Feel free to pm me or just post below

Edit - I do AQA Economics new spec

Hey,

I'm currently AQA A2 Economics too.

How are you finding it so far?
Reply 44
pretty straightforward, understand the firm objectives graph. What have you covered so far|?
Original post by kas9
Hey,

Reply 45
pretty straightforward, understand the firm objectives graph. What have you covered so far|?

Haven't gone into a lot yet just behavioural economics which was pretty interesting
Reply 46
hated that topic.
Original post by kas9
Haven't gone into a lot yet just behavioural economics which was pretty interesting
Original post by kas9
Hey,

Hi just a quick question I'm doing AS and if a question says draw demand cure for x can you use the PPF graph such as the unemployment graph if that makes any sense :smile:
Original post by sahil19
ah brilliant, I desperately want an A in economics. Anything I should be doing at the start of the year now?

Literally stay up to date with current affairs, or subscribe to the Economist.. then start all your papers in February/March :P
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by nisha.sri
Hi just a quick question I'm doing AS and if a question says draw demand cure for x can you use the PPF graph such as the unemployment graph if that makes any sense :smile:

Hey,

If it says draw a demand curve, then draw that. PPF's and demand curves are two separate things.

Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by kas9
Hey,

If it says draw a demand curve, then draw that. PPF's and demand curves are two separate things.

Ok thank you :smile: So can you draw the same thing as the unemployment graph thing with Demand curve:smile:
Reply 51
Ok thank you :smile: So can you draw the same thing as the unemployment graph thing with Demand curve:smile:

I never had to draw an unemployment graph, so i'm not really sure on that front.
You can let me know of the question if you're still stuck.
Reply 52
the PPF does not show employment, it shows how much you can make using the resources you have in the economy. If the question states draw a demand curve, you have to draw a demand curve as PPF does not show demand directly. however PPF does show demand of two goods. Good x and good y
Reply 53
+1
Original post by azizadil1998
Literally stay up to date with current affairs, or subscribe to the Economist.. then start all your papers in February/March :P
Reply 54
there is no unemployment graph in AS level. You are getting mixed up PPF and unemployment. Look online and read about the ppf
Reply 55
i honestly dont believe economics is a challenging subject. In my honest opinion i reckon anyone could get above a c if they tried.
I started to revise late april/early may and this revision consisted of watching a youtuber called "econplusdal" this guy goes through the whole syllabus for every exam board in one playlist for both micro and macro. The supply demand curves are awfully easy the teachers just explain it badly.

I could sit here and tell you the answers but you'll just memorise the answers instead of trying to understand it, if you do want more help just message me.

Does the YouTube have it for the new spec of a level economics?
Reply 56
nope but its still good to use

Original post by Rajive
Does the YouTube have it for the new spec of a level economics?
the PPF does not show employment, it shows how much you can make using the resources you have in the economy. If the question states draw a demand curve, you have to draw a demand curve as PPF does not show demand directly. however PPF does show demand of two goods. Good x and good y

I think what he is referring to is the employment of resources not employment as in people; my previous teacher used to say things such as "if you are operating on the PPF curve then you are employing all resources" so it makes sense if he means it in that context.
Original post by kas9
Hey,

Wondering what kind of unemployment he means? Like AS/AD? Employment of resources?
Original post by Jane122
Im confused with income elastity of demand. econplus dal said that an inferior good has a negative value (which I get) but the normal good confused me. he said it can be either a normal necessity or luxary. so a positive yed >1 is a luxary (I get that). but then a negative yed figure <1 is a necesiity. but he said earlier that a negative value is an inferior good?!!! so wth ? :/ @zainyyyyy @citibankrec

I don't exactly what he said, but YED<1 doesn't have to be negative.

So you could have luxury - supercar with YED positive and more than 1.

Then butter - more or less a necessity, for which demand will rise but by less than income. If your house earns a bit more then your generally gonna consume a bit more of things like this.

Then margarine, which is an 'inferior' substitute for butter. You'll have to start buying more of it as you get poorer.

Quick Reply

Latest