The Student Room Group

Open application?

Hi, I am trying to decide whether or not to make an open application. I know for definite that I'd rather go to any Cambridge college than any other university, which has led me to consider making an open application. However, I have read a range of stories regarding open applications, ranging from that they give you a much better chance to they give you a worse chance of getting in. Can anyone confirm if they decrease/increase/have no effect on your chances, please? Also, how reliable is the pooling system? If I were truly good enough to get in, would I get in regardless of the college I applied for?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Stringer8ell
Hi, I am trying to decide whether or not to make an open application. I know for definite that I'd rather go to any Cambridge college than any other university, which has led me to consider making an open application. However, I have read a range of stories regarding open applications, ranging from that they give you a much better chance to they give you a worse chance of getting in. Can anyone confirm if they decrease/increase/have no effect on your chances, please? Also, how reliable is the pooling system? If I were truly good enough to get in, would I get in regardless of the college I applied for?

Thanks!

Has no effect on your chances! By all means submit an open application if you really dont have any preference to college, but if there's one you prefer you may as well apply there.

This might be more relevant if your a girl and would rather be/not be in a mixed college, or want to be able to cook for yourself, or are going to be applying for a 4yr course - not all colleges guarentee accomodation for 4th year.

I was in the winter pool and summer pool so I like to think it works! I cant quote anything but the colleges would rather take a strong application from the pool than a weaker direct applicant.
Original post by Stringer8ell

Thanks!

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/colleges/open-applications
Reply 3
It won't have a negative effect on your application! However, it is worth bearing in mind that you might be allocated a college that might be less preferable, such as an all-girls college, or one of the "further out" colleges. So that's worth bearing in mind :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by camaieu
It won't have a negative effect on your application! However, it is worth bearing in mind that you might be allocated a college that might be less preferable, such as an all-girls college, or one of the "further out" colleges. So that's worth bearing in mind :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Or...

Churchill :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by jneill
Or...

Churchill :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

But Churchill have a pond-thing with ducks in it! When I was cycling back from the library at silly-o'clock last year, I used to stop outside Churchill and watch all the little ducks sleeping. **
Reply 6
Original post by camaieu
But Churchill have a pond-thing with ducks in it! When I was cycling back from the library at silly-o'clock last year, I used to stop outside Churchill and watch all the little ducks sleeping. **

Yeah, it was just jks

And I am probably in a minority of 1 but I like the architecture anyway :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by camaieu

Cycling back from the library and pass along Churchill??
Which college are you at?
Reply 8
Original post by vincrows
Cycling back from the library and pass along Churchill??
Which college are you at?

I was at Trinity Hall, but I lived in the Wychfield site in my final year, beside Fitz. :smile:*
Original post by camaieu
I was at Trinity Hall, but I lived in the Wychfield site in my final year, beside Fitz. :smile:*

Ahh, that makes sense. :smile:
OK, thanks everyone, I think I'll make an open application!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending