The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Squishy•
Is there even an Isc 1000 question book? I thought it was 600?

the new version is 1000 ... which i think covers new type AR Type1 -4
Bmat is much easier to learn and prepare for, it's less of a niche test and you can learn it instead of relying on anything else.
It'd be better to get an offer elsewhere and then decide because who knows she might change her mind and might never get an offer in Scotland in the future anyway.
There's not much point applying to places with ukcat cut off scores which are generally much higher than her scores and especially this year, perhaps if she is devoted to medicine then it'd be best to not be sold on the idea of staying in Scotland.

what makes you say the BMAT is easier to prep for?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lostperson
what makes you say the BMAT is easier to prep for?

Two sections are easily learned. The science section is simple and has been covered at gcse anyway. Just little practice for time is fine.
The essay is easy to get a high score, as long as you know about the basic principles of being a doctor and have a GCSE in english language that's all you need.
The first section is a little bit trickier but easier to practice than any subtest of UKCAT other than sjt.
Basically for the same reason that GCSEs are easier to get a higher grade in than UKCAT is.
Hello guys!
I do IB! and
Predicted 40
HL 666 (maybe 766 than it will be 41)
UKCAT avg. 726.7 /SJT 3

Where should I apply? I really really want to goto KCL medicine, and I am international student, would I stand a chance?

Please help!
Hello all, just sat my UKCAT test.

My scores are:
Verbal: 580
Quantitative: 900
Abstract: 750

Pretty pleased, I'd recommend everyone to use Alt+C to open the calculator as it saves valuable time. Additionally, I would say the quantitative reasoning section is easier in the exam than the practices. I got like 650-700 avg. in the practices.
Original post by Jackster556

My scores are:

Pretty pleased, I'd recommend everyone to use Alt+C to open the calculator as it saves valuable time. Additionally, I would say the quantitative reasoning section is easier in the exam than the practices. I got like 650-700 avg. in the practices.

That's amazing! Well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Roman hang Limbu
Well trust me when i say this mine is probably one of the worst one out there. BAND 4 ON SITUATIONAL JUDGEMENT. (and apparently only psychopaths get band 4). All other sections 580s except for QR which i struggled most on before but got 620 which is still garbage i know but it was my best section. The thing that pisses me of the most is that i used to get minimum band 2 every mock i did on Situational judgement and then i completely screw it up in an actual exam.

Your score is not the worst out there. Just make sure you apply to universities that aren't ukcat heavy and chances of success are not 0%. So don't undermine yourself just yet. Stay optimistic. If things really aren't looking well then if you're in England try the BMAT. Best of luck. Or you could try again next year but still apply this year - you stand a fair chance. :smile:
Original post by Jackster556

My scores are:

Hey nice score, How many data questions were on QR? Were there a lot of long questions? How did you prepare also.
How did you find Abstract reasoning? Were the patterns similar to medify?
Was Vr harder than medify?
Original post by Roman hang Limbu
Well trust me when i say this mine is probably one of the worst one out there. BAND 4 ON SITUATIONAL JUDGEMENT. (and apparently only psychopaths get band 4). All other sections 580s except for QR which i struggled most on before but got 620 which is still garbage i know but it was my best section. The thing that pisses me of the most is that i used to get minimum band 2 every mock i did on Situational judgement and then i completely screw it up in an actual exam.

Morning,

Don't worry about your UKCAT score! You've still got the BMAT as a back up, and there are actual five possible universities you can still apply to with a low UKCAT.

For instance, Bristol have only just started using the UKCAT to select candidates. Your score will actually only count towards 10% of your application, with 70% focusing on your personal statement!

Check out this free blog: where to apply with a low UKCAT score

Good luck with your application! :smile:
The Medic Portal
I got an average of 673 in ukcat today - AR let me down :frown:

AR-610, VR-700 and QR-720

I was thinking of applying for Nottingham, Bristol, Sheffield and Manchester - is this still good enough ? I got AAABB at AS and am predicted A*A*A.
thank u for the help !
hi guys is there a faster way of typing the numbers into the calculator or do you have to use the mouse? i keep making mistakes when i use the mouse to click the numbers in :/
Original post by ellen111
hi guys is there a faster way of typing the numbers into the calculator or do you have to use the mouse? i keep making mistakes when i use the mouse to click the numbers in :/

There's a number pad. Press num lock when u want to use it and then u won't have to use the clicked
Two sections are easily learned. The science section is simple and has been covered at gcse anyway. Just little practice for time is fine.
The essay is easy to get a high score, as long as you know about the basic principles of being a doctor and have a GCSE in english language that's all you need.
The first section is a little bit trickier but easier to practice than any subtest of UKCAT other than sjt.
Basically for the same reason that GCSEs are easier to get a higher grade in than UKCAT is.

ah I see...
:smile: thanks for the insight :smile:
how do you work out Pi and stuff on the calculators they provide?
Screenshot_20160921-200508.png
Here's the preliminary results and deciles! Saw that there were a few people wondering about it :smile:

you just use 3.14 instead, there isn't a pi button on the calculator
Original post by ASTK98
Keep practising and it will come with time. I really wouldn't recommend reading the passage first - it's just too time consuming and a lot of the time you'll try to remember irrelevant bits of info that won't even be required to answer the questions that come up. Especially considering most people have come out saying the passages in the actual exam are quite long; you don't want to lose out on a lot of valuable time.

I wouldn't really agree with not reading the passage first. I found that the questions tended to require a certain degree of certainty about your answers and that can be better achieved with reading the passage first. In my opinion, skim reading tends to result in you second guessing yourself especially when the options are similar. I managed to read most of the passages fully before answering. I only switched to skimming towards the end when i was short on time. I scored decently well for VR doing this

I'm not sure you'll need to do calculations with Pi often but just sub in 3.14 instead
Original post by jaysinn
I wouldn't really agree with not reading the passage first. I found that the questions tended to require a certain degree of certainty about your answers and that can be better achieved with reading the passage first. In my opinion, skim reading tends to result in you second guessing yourself especially when the options are similar. I managed to read most of the passages fully before answering. I only switched to skimming towards the end when i was short on time. I scored decently well for VR doing this

I never said that reading it first is the wrong way of doing it, I just feel like scanning the passage for key words is a more effective method tbh but I guess it just boils down to preference
Original post by ASTK98
I never said that reading it first is the wrong way of doing it, I just feel like scanning the passage for key words is a more effective method tbh but I guess it just boils down to preference

If you find them hard tomorrow are you going to start reading them? I'm unsure what to do because I know they are going to be hard and not sure if what I normally do (skimming for the answer) will suffice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending