The Student Room Group

Tips for Rome

Hey all,

I'm travelling to Rome next week for a long weekend and aside from booking flights and accommodation I haven't put any real thought in what to do/see when I'm there.

I'm thinking of going on a walking tour and I would like to see the Colosseum, but aside from that I haven't had the chance to do a lot of research. Does anyone have any places they would recommend visiting? I am happy visiting tourist places but equally I'd love to go to a few places slightly off the beaten track - Thanks!
Reply 1
Ah you will love Rome! It's literally like an open-air museum. I went in June and I hope my tips etc. help you a little!

There are two free English tours you can do, if you google 'Rome free walking tour', one goes to the Colosseum and other things along the way and the other goes to the Pantheon (amazing building) and on to the outside of the Vatican (it ends at the Vatican). They do the tours every day from the Spanish steps (meeting place), one at 10am and one at 4pm. Take comfy shoes because there is a LOT of walking, but it's really cool!

Then what we did when we got to the Vatican, we went into the church there (Basilica), where we paid to go to the dome at the top. The view was incredible! You have to walk up 500+ steps though, haha. The staircases start off straight and then they're spiralled! It's crazy. Be aware of the dress code in religious buildings, too. Women and men are refused entry in some places if their shoulders or knees aren't covered. You have to dress appropriately (google it if you wanna know more)...they sent some people away.

Then we booked the Vatican museum online in advance (otherwise the queue is absolutely huge, but you can skip the most of it if you book online). It's huge - SO much to see, but it's cool! You get to see the Sistine chapel in there, too. It can be a bit much because there is so much to see, but I enjoyed it. It took us a whole day.

If you like gelato, go to Gelateria Del Teatro! They do the best gelato ever! They have crazy flavours like wine and chocolate, peach and lavender, white chocolate and basil...and then all the normal ones. I would definitely recommend it!!

The Trevi fountain is cool but very crowded - a must see though!

Then we had a day trip on the train outside the city to these ruins, which was also incredible. The ruin place was called Ostia Antica - you can get the train there, and get a ticket and it's a huge walk through these ruins - so much to see! A lot of it is quite similar, but there are some awesome hidden gems there! Comfy shoes are a must again - it's very uneven everywhere!

The food is also amazing - if you want any restaurant recommendations, just let me know! Oh and be careful when going to some restaurants if you get a panini for lunch or something and sit down there, some of the crafty buggers charge you extra for sitting in, hehe. Have an amazing time!
Original post by soph3mai
Ah you will love Rome! It's literally like an open-air museum. I went in June and I hope my tips etc. help you a little!

There are two free English tours you can do, if you google 'Rome free walking tour', one goes to the Colosseum and other things along the way and the other goes to the Pantheon (amazing building) and on to the outside of the Vatican (it ends at the Vatican). They do the tours every day from the Spanish steps (meeting place), one at 10am and one at 4pm. Take comfy shoes because there is a LOT of walking, but it's really cool!

Then what we did when we got to the Vatican, we went into the church there (Basilica), where we paid to go to the dome at the top. The view was incredible! You have to walk up 500+ steps though, haha. The staircases start off straight and then they're spiralled! It's crazy. Be aware of the dress code in religious buildings, too. Women and men are refused entry in some places if their shoulders or knees aren't covered. You have to dress appropriately (google it if you wanna know more)...they sent some people away.

Then we booked the Vatican museum online in advance (otherwise the queue is absolutely huge, but you can skip the most of it if you book online). It's huge - SO much to see, but it's cool! You get to see the Sistine chapel in there, too. It can be a bit much because there is so much to see, but I enjoyed it. It took us a whole day.

If you like gelato, go to Gelateria Del Teatro! They do the best gelato ever! They have crazy flavours like wine and chocolate, peach and lavender, white chocolate and basil...and then all the normal ones. I would definitely recommend it!!

The Trevi fountain is cool but very crowded - a must see though!

Then we had a day trip on the train outside the city to these ruins, which was also incredible. The ruin place was called Ostia Antica - you can get the train there, and get a ticket and it's a huge walk through these ruins - so much to see! A lot of it is quite similar, but there are some awesome hidden gems there! Comfy shoes are a must again - it's very uneven everywhere!

The food is also amazing - if you want any restaurant recommendations, just let me know! Oh and be careful when going to some restaurants if you get a panini for lunch or something and sit down there, some of the crafty buggers charge you extra for sitting in, hehe. Have an amazing time!

This is really helpful! What restaurants would you recommend? We are looking for authentic Italian which isn't too pricey :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Colour Me Pretty
This is really helpful! What restaurants would you recommend? We are looking for authentic Italian which isn't too pricey :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been to Rome twice and had a proper sit down mean once on each occasion. The second time I went, I went to Da Augusto in Trastevere which was amazing. I rolled in at about 10.30 pm and sat down next to a stranger reading a novel. Place still fairly busy with locals. Waitress rolls up and starts speaking in Italian. I know a bit but am by no means fluent. She says we've only got a few things left, so I order two courses, only one I actually understood. Didn't ask what it was in English in order to save face. The one I knew was cacio e pepe, and the second turned out to be a really nice rabbit stew. Side of salted broccoli. Total for two courses + side, bread and house wine: less than €20. Would return in a heartbeat.

Quick Reply

Latest