The Student Room Group

Bad UKCAT!!!

So I just took my test today and I got an average score of 600 (and a Band 1).Now I know that this is a big problem, however after talking to my year group leader(who is in charge of the medicine applications) he made it seem as if I still had a chance of getting into medical school. He ensured that they will take into consideration the fact that my current school is underprivileged and that my predicted grades are good. Can someone help???
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by shadow122
so I just took my test today and I got an average score of 600 (and a Band 1).Now I know that this is a big problem, however after talking to my year group leader(who is in charge of the medicine applications) he mad it seem as if I still had a chance of getting into medical school.He ensured that they will take into consideration the fact that my current school is underprivileged and that my predicted grades are good. Can someone help???

Yes they will but ukcat is an assessment of cognitive abilities so school doesn't really play a factor. But it does make your grades look better e.g. a B at a bad school looks like an A. You could apply to less ukcat heavy unis or even do the BMAT. Just research your options carefully.
Reply 2
Original post by Xenon17
Yes they will but ukcat is an assessment of cognitive abilities so school doesn't really play a factor. But it does make your grades look better e.g. a B at a bad school looks like an A. You could apply to less ukcat heavy unis or even do the BMAT. Just research your options carefully.

Thanks for the rapid response. I will do some more research into the requirements of certain universities.
Reply 3
If you did well at GCSE maybe apply to Cardiff? Or plymouth and Bristol as Plymouth has low cut off points and Bristol doesn't look at it at all
Reply 4
Original post by Jehaan
If you did well at GCSE maybe apply to Cardiff? Or plymouth and Bristol as Plymouth has low cut off points and Bristol doesn't look at it at all

Thank you for the response. I shall look into the university's and will call the admissions by tomorrow
Original post by shadow122
So I just took my test today and I got an average score of 600 (and a Band 1).Now I know that this is a big problem, however after talking to my year group leader(who is in charge of the medicine applications) he made it seem as if I still had a chance of getting into medical school. He ensured that they will take into consideration the fact that my current school is underprivileged and that my predicted grades are good. Can someone help???

Hey there!

Don't worry! We know of 5 potential universities you could still apply to! For instance, Bristol only attribute 10% of their selection process to the UKCAT. 70% focuses on your personal statement. The other 20% is based on your examination performance.

Check out this blog: med schools to apply to with a low UKCAT score.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your application!
The Medic Portal
Reply 6
Original post by The Medic Portal
Hey there!

Don't worry! We know of 5 potential universities you could still apply to! For instance, Bristol only attribute 10% of their selection process to the UKCAT. 70% focuses on your personal statement. The other 20% is based on your examination performance.

Check out this blog: med schools to apply to with a low UKCAT score.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your application!
The Medic Portal

Thanks a great deal ,your response was very useful.
Hey Guys, I am doing my UKCAT next thursday and I am stressing about it. In a mock I did I got, 700 in VR, 530 in QR and 450 in AR. Are these good? Also, I am looking at applying to birmingham, Nottingham, Edinburgh and Sheffield. How much do these universities look at the UKCAT?

Quick Reply

Latest