The Student Room Group

Does anyone commute?

I'm currently looking into doing a Masters in the History of Medicine/Medical Humanities, starting in Sept 2017.

I live and work in North Manchester, and Manchester has a great course to offer, but I'm more interested in the courses offered at both Leeds and York. I'll be doing the Masters part time, but if I chose either Leeds or York it would mean commuting (driving) two days a week. My daughter lives in York, so I know the city well and the timings to get there, and Leeds isn't too far away.

I'm just wondering about the times that I'll need to be there which aren't for lectures, such as library visits etc and whether it'll be better to go for the Manchester course, as it's much closer to home.

So my question is, does anyone commute to their Uni and is it doable?
Thanks 😊
I have a one and a half hour drive, and I'm in five days a week (for an undergraduate STEM course). I usually stay in B&B accommodation 2 nights, so I'm only commuting for 3 days. It's a bit of a pain, and I have to be very disciplined to get all my coursework done. Being so far from the library can be difficult, so I try to do as much work as I can while I'm actually on campus. On the days when you have lectures, you may find it's worth spending the whole day there to make use of the facilities. It's certainly doable. It's just a question of whether the better course is worth spending a few hours a week in the car.
Reply 2
I'll be doing Manchester to Liverpool approx 4 days a week and on the tram and train, it's a bit daunting but I didn't like the course at Salford...
Reply 3
Yeah I commute around 30/40 minutes, it's a direct train so not too bad. I get the bus from the train station directly to the university, I could walk but I paid for a bus, train and metro pass. Plus it's too cold to walk anyway 👀

By the way, I'm going into second year now! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Debsadac
That's good sounds like you've got a good system there! It's looking very doable for me then 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! :smile:

Just have a look at the way you can get to university and look for student passes for travelling etc. Especially during winter, I don't mind walking but it gets very cold :frown: ahaha
Reply 5
Thanks, that's very helpful and yes you're right the course does have to be worth it.

I think using a SCONUL card I can get access to the John Rylands library at Manchester which would mean I wouldn't need to go to either Leeds or York just for the library. And I don't mind the drive either. So lots to think about!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not quite the same situation. But when I did my master's I lived in Bristol for the taught component then used SCONUL to access universities closer to home to complete the dissertation.

What you have outlined is not too bad. Like one of the other posters, I have a 1-and-a-half hour commute each way to attend my undergraduate degree and I will be starting external clinical placements soon so this may actually increase. I got a car over the summer which makes some things easier. But I imagine I will still be using the bus a lot to cut down on costs and ensure I can fit in some reading.
Reply 6
I think it works if you have a few transport options. I travel 25 miles which usually takes around an hour. I live fare enough away to get a permit to park on campus, but it can be tiring in heavy traffic, so I sometimes go by train (added bonus of being able to work on the way) or bus which takes just a little longer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I will be commuting this October to a dofferent university. I think if you're committed then you'll commute especially if it is a long journey.
Oh I didn't realise you could park on campus if you live far away, I think I'll investigate that! Thanks 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on the university- some are more open to students parking on campus than others.
Reply 9
Original post by jelly1000
Depends on the university- some are more open to students parking on campus than others.

Yes, at my uni you have to live at least 15 miles away or have childcare responsibilities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Hi everyone!I'm currently undertaking research as part of my final year studies for my (very expensive) degree. This survey takes less than 10 minutes and is completely anonymous!

arunxd.typeform.com/to/WjbCdu

This survey offers some useful insights into health living in cities for you!I would massively appreciate if you could fill it out!Feel free to message me if you want any further info. Thank you again x1000
Yes I drive in and it is 50/60 mins each way, depending on traffic. It can be a pain sometimes when the only thing I have on is an hour seminar at 3 pm and sometimes we're only there for maybe 45 mins!! But it is only till Christmas, so the timetable will change again!!

Quick Reply

Latest