The Student Room Group

Half of all Australians want to ban Muslim immigration

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3799419/Half-Australians-AGREE-Pauline-Hanson-s-call-completely-ban-Muslim-immigration.html

It came as an Essential Research poll released on Wednesday found 49 per cent of Australians support a ban on Muslim immigration, including 60 per cent of Coalition voters, 40 per cent of Labor voters and 34 per cent of Greens voters.

The most common reasons for wanting a ban were fears over terrorism, and a belief that Muslim migrants do not integrate into society nor share Australian values. The poll was first conducted in early August and then repeated to ensure it was not a rogue.

"It's too a big a number to say it's an unrepresentative rump that should be shunned from polite society," Essential pollster Peter Lewis told Fairfax Media.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/half-of-all-australians-want-to-ban-muslim-immigration-poll-20160920-grkufa.html

34% of Greens voters. :eek: Apparently, Australian Greens are not the same as ours.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sample Size: 1000

:colonhash:

out of 24,095,200 people :curious:
(edited 7 years ago)
That's pretty scary in all truth.

Anti-Muslim bigotry manifesting in broad generalisations and stereotypes is really becoming the new norm in political discourse.
Reply 3
Original post by AshEntropy

This is how statistics work.
Original post by Cain Tesfaye
That's pretty scary in all truth.

Anti-Muslim bigotry manifesting in broad generalisations and stereotypes is really becoming the new norm in political discourse.

So....you're saying Australians are bigoted?

Yes, that is how stats work.
Original post by Trinculo
So....you're saying Australians are bigoted?

If you support a blanket ban on an entire group of people because of their religion then I would regard you to be a bigot.

So the 49% of people in the poll that espoused that view, yes, I would regard them as bigots.
Reply 7
Before you accept the poll results as gospel, remember that some of the surveys taken pre-referendum had 75% support for Remain.

Medical studies operate on similar sized samples, and these studies help shape medical treatments for the whole worlds population. There are arguments to be made against these statistics, but this is not the argument. This just shows a lack of understanding of basic statistics.
Original post by Josb

The most common reasons for wanting a ban were fears over terrorism, and a belief that Muslim migrants do not integrate into society nor share Australian values.

Beyond all the media influences I think this is a very valid point...

Professional statisticians generally design the test so that the sample size would produce a sufficiently small margin of error to allow reasonable conclusions to be drawn, this isn't A level biology where ''hehehe, make sure teh sample size is big enuff so dat u can make acceptable conclusions xxx :*'' gets you 3 marks.

People on TSR seem to genuinely believe an acceptable sample size is just a proportion of the absolute population, like you have to ask half or a quarter etc.

Original post by Dez
Before you accept the poll results as gospel, remember that some of the surveys taken pre-referendum had 75% support for Remain.

The usual reasons for blatantly wrong poll results like that are generally poor sampling methodology, e.g. it only polled readers of one newspaper.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by West Bank Spank
The usual reasons for blatantly wrong poll results like that are generally poor sampling methodology, e.g. it only polled readers of one newspaper.

Quite right, and exactly the same thing may have happened on this poll too. At the very least they ought to have run the survey more than once.
Original post by Dez
Quite right, and exactly the same thing may have happened on this poll too. At the very least they ought to have run the survey more than once.

I'm not sure how that would help if the selection process itself is flawed, with political polls there is always a danger of those people with the strongest opinions being most eager to answer whereas a more ''typical'' member of the population just doesn't care enough to bother.

EDIT: As I'm sure you're aware.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by West Bank Spank
Professional statisticians generally design the test so that the sample size would produce a sufficiently small margin of error to allow reasonable conclusions to be drawn, this isn't A level biology where ''hehehe, make sure teh sample size is big enuff so dat u can make acceptable conclusions xxx :*'' gets you 3 marks.

People on TSR seem to genuinely believe an acceptable sample size is just a proportion of the absolute population, like you have to ask half or a quarter etc.

Original post by The Epicurean
Medical studies operate on similar sized samples, and these studies help shape medical treatments for the whole worlds population. There are arguments to be made against these statistics, but this is not the argument. This just shows a lack of understanding of basic statistics.

To be fair, I made thread yesterday that got completely derailed because people couldn't understand some very basic maths.
Original post by KingBradly
To be fair, I made thread yesterday that got completely derailed because people couldn't understand some very basic maths.

TSR has some cool people on it, but compared with the people I've spoken with on other websites, this really is the special ed class. I think it's because it selects for middle class A level kids who just trot out what the learned at school that day.

When I first came on, everyone seemed super clever and logical, then I realised it was because they took A level critical thinking and were just repeating the syllabus, not impressed.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Dez

But this is what they did: "The poll was first conducted in early August and then repeated to ensure it was not a rogue."
Reply 16
I think the same poll would get even bigger support for banning Muslim immigrants in most European countries. What is really surprising is to see that many left wing sympathisers also support such ban.
Reply 17
Australia has always had racist immigration policies which excluded non white people from immigrating there. This is just a continuation of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Australia_policy
Original post by Maker
Australia has always had racist immigration policies which excluded non white people from immigrating there. This is just a continuation of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Australia_policy

muslims are not a 'race'
Reply 19
The ruling powers want Muslims to be moved out of their homelands so what Australian people think is irrelevant to them

Quick Reply

Latest