The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by spock2000
Hi All

I am looking to apply for Medicine next year.
Doing A levels

Maths Chemistry Biology Geography

Only Maths has AS at the end of the first year.
I was planning to drop that. So will have 3 A levels and 1 AS level.

I was wondering if at the end of the first year I dropped Geography and carried on with Maths. Then I would not have an AS level.

How would that be viewed by unis. I know a lot of unis say that if your college does not do AS levels then it is ok. But how do they view things if had dropped Geography and so had no AS levels.

You could request to be put in for the AS exam, but yeah, it likely wouldn't be an issue
Original post by Bright_Gift
Hi,
Could you please give me some advice?

GCSE's: 9A*s 1A
AS: A in Eng Lit, A in Maths
(My Bio and Chem Courses are Linear so didn't take AS exams for them)
A level Predictions: A*A*A (Bio, Maths, Chem)
UKCAT: 670 and Band 3 SJT
BMAT: will do!

WE: 1 week at a hospital
2 weeks work experience in a pharmacy
I don't have any voluntary work in a care environment :frown:
I have taught and supported younger students struggling in maths
Dofe
Prefect
(there's more but I don't want to go on and on :smile: )

I'm thinking if applying to Imperial, Leeds, Birmingham. I'm also thinking about Bristol.
Do you think I stand a chance with these schools?
What effect do you think my Band 3 will have on my chances if getting in?
Will my lack of voluntary work (in a care home etc.) affect my application?
Can you think of any other unis that would be a wise move?

I would REALLY appreciate any help

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think Bristol want 2 weeks in a care environment - ugh I haven't got 2 weeks either but I have been caring for a family member so I don't even know if I should bother applying. You should ring them up. |Bristol is really nice though, I really want to apply too. I hate all these technicalities !!!
Original post by chrisdale98
I got a B in chem at AS. Uni wont look that much at them will they if u have an AAA prediction? My other stats are fine ish

I got AABB too (bio, french, maths, chem), I'm still applying :/
Original post by aliyah99
I think Bristol want 2 weeks in a care environment - ugh I haven't got 2 weeks either but I have been caring for a family member so I don't even know if I should bother applying. You should ring them up. |Bristol is really nice though, I really want to apply too. I hate all these technicalities !!!

Thanks for your response. I'm not considering Bristol anymore. Their heavy emphasis on personal statement is too risky for me
Do i stand a chance at Exeter with A*AA prediction, 660 UKCAT and 7A* 3A at GCSE?
Original post by aliyah99
I got AABB too (bio, french, maths, chem), I'm still applying :/

Thats reassuring, thanks
Original post by chrisdale98
Do i stand a chance at Exeter with A*AA prediction, 660 UKCAT and 7A* 3A at GCSE?

I'm in a similar position to you (achieved A*AA thought) and unfortunately what exeter do is put you in tiers according to your predicted grades. So people who were predicted 3A*s in tier 1, 2A*s in tier 2, 1A* in tier 3 and I was surprised to look on last year's thread that a lot of people in tier 2 didn't even get an interview, so I guess tier 1 was over subscribed and only people who were predicted 3A*s were given one which kind of sucks if they're only going to give you an A*AA offer..
Original post by Ninjakam119
I'm in a similar position to you (achieved A*AA thought) and unfortunately what exeter do is put you in tiers according to your predicted grades. So people who were predicted 3A*s in tier 1, 2A*s in tier 2, 1A* in tier 3 and I was surprised to look on last year's thread that a lot of people in tier 2 didn't even get an interview, so I guess tier 1 was over subscribed and only people who were predicted 3A*s were given one which kind of sucks if they're only going to give you an A*AA offer..

I was gonna apply with predictions of A*A*A but I think especially with people doing internal exams this year, predictions will be inflated. So I'm insure whether tier 2 will even be looked at.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michaela__
I was gonna apply with predictions of A*A*A but I think especially with people doing internal exams this year, predictions will be inflated. So I'm insure whether tier 2 will even be looked at.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah that's a very good point... that didn't cross my mind. I'd be in tier 2 as well because I've already achieved my a levels, but I probably won't risk an application to Exeter in fear of a pre-interview rejection.
Ah that's a very good point... that didn't cross my mind. I'd be in tier 2 as well because I've already achieved my a levels, but I probably won't risk an application to Exeter in fear of a pre-interview rejection.

What score is your ukcat? Mine is tomorrow so if I might have to attempt Exeter if I don't do that amazing as Exeter medical school does look really good! The problem with internal exams is they will inflate the predictions and then those candidates most likely won't be able to meet what they were predicted, because all I can say is AQA AS Chem papers this year were nasty lol and so was edexcel bio. I just don't think it prepares students as well for the real thing, but that's just my opinion of course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What score is your ukcat? Mine is tomorrow so if I might have to attempt Exeter if I don't do that amazing as Exeter medical school does look really good! The problem with internal exams is they will inflate the predictions and then those candidates most likely won't be able to meet what they were predicted, because all I can say is AQA AS Chem papers this year were nasty lol and so was edexcel bio. I just don't think it prepares students as well for the real thing, but that's just my opinion of course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

At the moment it's 2000, band 1 but something happened during my exam so I had half the time I should've got for AR so I'm waiting for the result of investigation which is sort of annoying because I don't know exactly where I stand. If you don't do well there's still many uni's you have a good chance for. Haha well if that's the case, there may be even more opportunities to get into medicine via clearing, every cloud.. Good luck btw
(edited 7 years ago)
At the moment it's 2000, band 1 but something happened during my exam so I had half the time I should've got for AR so I'm waiting for the result of investigation which is sort of annoying because I don't know exactly where I stand. If you don't do well there's still many uni's you have a good chance for. Haha well if that's the case, there may be even more opportunities to get into medicine via clearing, every cloud.. Good luck btw

Lmao fingers crossed for clearing then 😂 oh no that's so unfortunate I'm really sorry to hear that, hopefully it'll all get sorted for you and they can help you somehow as that's so not fair :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
URGENT Guys,

My UCAS is getting sent off next week and I'm still confused on where to apply?

GCSEs: 6A*s 4As (Eng Lang, Eng Lit, Bio and Drama)
A Level Predicted: A*A*A (History, Chemistry, Bio)
UKCAT: 637 avg, Band 2

I'm am going to sit the BMAT but I need to know what universities I stand the best chance at?

So far out of the BMAT universities
I was considering:
Lancaster
Leeds?? - what is their GCSE scoring system??
Brighton and Sussex
UCL

Is it best to do a 3:1 ratio or 2:2 ratio of UKCAT : BMAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Last year i applied with A*A*A and got straight up rejected. they only interviewed people with A*A*A* predictions and a UKCAT above 580 for tier 1.
However they take into account contextual factors and did invite people from tier 2/3. If for example, you went to a poor performing school they may invite you if you were in tier 2/3.
Original post by Mathsmad123
Last year i applied with A*A*A and got straight up rejected. they only interviewed people with A*A*A* predictions and a UKCAT above 580 for tier 1.
However they take into account contextual factors and did invite people from tier 2/3. If for example, you went to a poor performing school they may invite you if you were in tier 2/3.

That's so sad 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ipanda99
URGENT Guys,

My UCAS is getting sent off next week and I'm still confused on where to apply?

GCSEs: 6A*s 4As (Eng Lang, Eng Lit, Bio and Drama)
A Level Predicted: A*A*A (History, Chemistry, Bio)
UKCAT: 637 avg, Band 2

I'm am going to sit the BMAT but I need to know what universities I stand the best chance at?

So far out of the BMAT universities
I was considering:
Lancaster
Leeds?? - what is their GCSE scoring system??
Brighton and Sussex
UCL

Is it best to do a 3:1 ratio or 2:2 ratio of UKCAT : BMAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brighton is all about high BMAT (BMAT cut off)
Lancaster is meeting BMAT cut off and passing the PS stage
UCL is EVERTHING on the UCAS form lol
So basically, the above 3 unis require a very good bmat, if you a confident, go for it!

This is leeds scoring system:
1) GCSE score out of 27 points (A*=3 points, A=2 points, B= 1 point) 40% of applicants gained 27/27 last year
2) 8 points for 3 predicted A's
3) 5 points for BMAT. Top 20% of those applied to leeds receive 5/5, next 20% receive 4/5
This makes up an academic score out of 40. The top 1000 scoring applicants have their personal statement reviewed from which, 580ish get interviewed.
Does anyone know whether Edinburgh has a cut off for each individual section in the UKCAT? Or do they only consider your total score..?
Hi,
Could someone give me some advice?

UKCAT:
average 747
Band 2

4 As at a level in Chemistry, Maths, Biology and German.
7 A* 1A 3Bs at GCSE

2 weeks shadowing a cardio-thoracic surgeon in pap worth.
2 weeks in a GP practice.
3 months volunteering in a care home.
Tutor students in maths.
DofE.
Grade 6 piano and violin.
Football and tennis teams.

Im thinking of applying leeds, Nottingham, newcastle and brighten-sussex. Are these wise choices? would you recommend elsewhere?

any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!
Original post by 123456789qwerty
Hi,
Could someone give me some advice?

UKCAT:
average 747
Band 2

4 As at a level in Chemistry, Maths, Biology and German.
7 A* 1A 3Bs at GCSE

2 weeks shadowing a cardio-thoracic surgeon in pap worth.
2 weeks in a GP practice.
3 months volunteering in a care home.
Tutor students in maths.
DofE.
Grade 6 piano and violin.
Football and tennis teams.

Im thinking of applying leeds, Nottingham, newcastle and brighten-sussex. Are these wise choices? would you recommend elsewhere?

any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

Why bother with the bmat? Any ukcat uni will interview you(except exeter maybe)
On the Bristol website it says they require a minimum of 2 weeks experience in a caring environment. Does anyone know how they would enforce this - we don't have to fill out a supplementary form or write specific dates on the personal statement? Is it a strict rule that they will ask you to prove to them or is it more of just a guideline?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending