The Student Room Group

Newcastle Medical School 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by elish2chambers
Is it worth me applying with a 717 average? I have 9A* 1A at GCSE, AAAA at AS and A*A*A for bio, Chem and maths a level, but I know most of these academics will be lost on Newcastle since all they are about is UKCAT. But I really love the course and the city, do you think 717 will be enough for interview?

Definitely apply.
Any predictions on the ukcat cut off score for newcastle?
Original post by mariapcusi
Any predictions on the ukcat cut off score for newcastle?

There's really no point in making them, but if I had to guess, maybe 685?
Original post by Gogregg
There's really no point in making them, but if I had to guess, maybe 685?

Definitely higher than that. I predict around 730 cut off for Newcastle. Ukcat averages have increased this year and taking out decision making has only further increased averages.
Original post by Paulmedic
Definitely higher than that. I predict around 730 cut off for Newcastle. Ukcat averages have increased this year and taking out decision making has only further increased averages.

They've increased, yes, but not by that amount.
Original post by Paulmedic

They haven't increased by that much, blimey. Of course, we are mainly basing them off of the interim results, but, they won't change by that much.

It also depends on the scores that people apply with, but, there won't be that big a shift.
Reply 106
There's very little point in trying to guess cut-offs - they're not really related to either the national average or the average in this thread. As you know it's decided by the 400th odd lowest score (or however many spots Newcastle has) of the people that apply to Newcastle and there is not necessarily an equal spread of UKCAT scores across all schools in the country. Also notably all of the Durham applicants will be analysed within the same "pool" as Newcastle applicants this year, and this may lower the UKCAT cut-off (due to a higher number of spaces).
Are Personal statements scored and used at interview or not???
This medical schools council document says they dont- http://www.medschools.ac.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/MSC-Entry-requirements-for-UK-medical-schools.pdf
I called the admissions and they said they do score and use ps at interview
Original post by Gap yaaah
This medical schools council document says they dont- http://www.medschools.ac.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/MSC-Entry-requirements-for-UK-medical-schools.pdf

They said on their open day last Saturday that they only use the personal statement for verification after the interview before giving out an offer.
Reply 109
Original post by Gap yaaah

They don't use the PS at all in any part of the process. They previously used it at interview to help guide discussion a few years ago (and when I applied) but they're not formally scored it for yonks and yonks.
Reply 110
Hi I don't know whether or not to apply to Newcastle for 2017 entry into Medicine

- I got 7 A*s 4As in my GCSEs
- I do the IB Diploma and am predicted 38 points
- In my UKCAT I got 680 VR, 690 QR, 730 AR and Band 1 SJT; and average of 700

Do you think that I would be invited for interview?
Original post by fosibs
Hi I don't know whether or not to apply to Newcastle for 2017 entry into Medicine

- I got 7 A*s 4As in my GCSEs
- I do the IB Diploma and am predicted 38 points
- In my UKCAT I got 680 VR, 690 QR, 730 AR and Band 1 SJT; and average of 700

Do you think that I would be invited for interview?

With your UKCAT, it's definitely very possible, I'd say go for it! :biggrin:
Are interviews traditional or mmi? I know they were traditional last year
Original post by chrisdale98
Are interviews traditional or mmi? I know they were traditional last year

They are MMI :smile:
Reply 114
Likely applying to Newcastle - 757 UKCAT average, band 2 SJT :smile:
FYI the head of medical school told us (3rd year biomeds) that he expects the scores to drop by 25% from last year. Just so you guys are aware :smile:
Is it worth applying with 747 and band 1?

Posted from TSR Mobile
for 2016 entry, the UKCAT cut off was 695 average. So the cut off this year may be slightly higher, around 710. Ofc this is just an estimate and it may be lower.

I would certainly apply if you have strong GCSEs and a ukcat score above 710 :smile:
Original post by MoshBosh
for 2016 entry, the UKCAT cut off was 695 average. So the cut off this year may be slightly higher, around 710. Ofc this is just an estimate and it may be lower.

I would certainly apply if you have strong GCSEs and a ukcat score above 710 :smile:

GCSEs literally don't matter at all for Newcastle
Reply 119
Do you have to apply for both A100 and A101 courses separately as a graduate? Or if you are unsuccessful for A101, do they consider you for A100?

I've got a UKCAT average of 686 - what was last years "cut off" for interview for graduates?

Any idea on how important they view your personal statement? I've got volunteering / work experienced lined up at a hospice / hospital, but due to the DBS backlog still have not had my certificate, and probably won't be able to start for another month or so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending