The Student Room Group

Theory Tes

Hello,
I have a query regarding my theory test. I was just wondering I had my first driving lesson on Monday where my driving instructor asked me if I had started revising for my theory test. I said yes as I was. My question is when do I actually book my theory test? Do I have to do my lessons still or stop lessons and do my theory test? Please explain!

Thank you very much
Reply 1
You can book the theory test for whenever you like. I passed the theory/hazard then booked practical lessons. Good luck.*
Original post by MiszShortee786
Hello,
I have a query regarding my theory test. I was just wondering I had my first driving lesson on Monday where my driving instructor asked me if I had started revising for my theory test. I said yes as I was. My question is when do I actually book my theory test? Do I have to do my lessons still or stop lessons and do my theory test? Please explain!

Thank you very much
Original post by Trapped
You can book the theory test for whenever you like. I passed the theory/hazard then booked practical lessons. Good luck.*

Thank you for your replyThat makes sense... I will just book it after I get paid next week.... seeing as I have only had 1 practical lesson so far and I am revising both.What mark did you get for both?Thanks!
Reply 3
You're welcome. My scores: Theory - 48/50; Hazard - 49/75. I revised using the official DVSA CDs, three days before the test. :smile:
Thank you for your replyThat makes sense... I will just book it after I get paid next week.... seeing as I have only had 1 practical lesson so far and I am revising both.What mark did you get for both?Thanks!
Original post by Trapped
You're welcome. My scores: Theory - 48/50; Hazard - 49/75. I revised using the official DVSA CDs, three days before the test. :smile:

Congratulations! I am also aiming for at least in my 40s for my theory hopefully!

I am also revising using the official driving books... however its 2013 edition... would this make any difference?
You can do your theory test at any time, whenever you feel ready to take it (you can book it several weeks in advance, or if there are slots available you can take it sooner once you feel ready). I learned the majority of the revision questions and answers before booking my test, then used the remaining time before the test to learn the rest and do mock theory tests. I took and passed the theory after a few months of practical lessons, then continued the lessons until I passed my practical test too. The only thing you can't do is take your practical test before you pass the theory :smile:
Reply 6
No, it is ok, my edition was 2012 :smile:*
Congratulations! I am also aiming for at least in my 40s for my theory hopefully!

I am also revising using the official driving books... however its 2013 edition... would this make any difference?
Reply 7
Hey, have you bought a car yet? Car hunting is so stressful, not to mention insurance.*:biggrin:
Original post by Leviathan1741
You can do your theory test at any time, whenever you feel ready to take it (you can book it several weeks in advance, or if there are slots available you can take it sooner once you feel ready). I learned the majority of the revision questions and answers before booking my test, then used the remaining time before the test to learn the rest and do mock theory tests. I took and passed the theory after a few months of practical lessons, then continued the lessons until I passed my practical test too. The only thing you can't do is take your practical test before you pass the theory :smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741

Thank you for your reply!

I am nowhere near ready to take my theory test yet... I think I might get more practical driving lessons and take it from there. Meanwhile, I have been througholy revising the theory for at least 4 hours each day lol! :h: and please don't even talk about HP! :/
Original post by Trapped
Hey, have you bought a car yet? Car hunting is so stressful, not to mention insurance.*:biggrin:

Not yet, I can't afford to buy one (let alone pay for the insurance too!). I'm hopefully going to be able to be put on the insurance for my mum's car next year though (there's not much point in me having a car just yet anyway, since I can't take one to uni) :smile:
Thank you for your reply!

I am nowhere near ready to take my theory test yet... I think I might get more practical driving lessons and take it from there. Meanwhile, I have been througholy revising the theory for at least 4 hours each day lol! :h: and please don't even talk about HP! :/

That seems like a good idea, I had quite a few lessons before I started revising for the theory, because it all made more sense once I'd got some practical driving experience. Don't worry about the hazard perception too much, the clips are much clearer and the hazards are easier to spot in the real thing than on practice clips :smile:
Take your theory whenever, but it might be worth talking to your instructor first (there's no point taking it before they think you're going to pass it)! Good luck :smile:

P.S. The DVSA CDs are very good, as @Trapped pointed out :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest