The Student Room Group

Is economics a possibility with these subject options?

Hi everyone!
I recently have had a change of heart in terms of my career options and I now want to pursue econs at university. I have done some wider reading but the issue I have now is that my subjects aren't really that orientated towards economics (Math, physics and chemistry). Will universities be put off by this?
Reply 1
Was Economics an option at your school? If yeah then unis might question why you didn't pick it, but if not then those options are absolutely fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unfortunately for me, it was an option. Would it still be worthwhile applying, or would I be at too big of a disadvantage?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
You can apply but you'll need to have some basic economics knowledge to write in your personal statement. Make sure you've read books like the Undercover Economist or other books in order to give yourself some basic knowledge of macro and microeconomics. Also, perhaps write about which aspect of economics interests you- microeconomics, macroeconomics, behavioural economics, econometrics, development economics, economic policy?

Pretty much every university will accept you without economics A-Level as long as you have good predicted grades and a good personal statement.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Lobsterknowspeed
Unfortunately for me, it was an option. Would it still be worthwhile applying, or would I be at too big of a disadvantage?

Still worth applying yeah, although if there's is an interview you may have to justify why you didn't choose it. It will put you at a disadvantage, how much so I am not sure, although I'm sure someone older than myself (I've just started year 13) will expand on what I've said
Economics A Level is a pile of crap anyway, I wouldn't be too worried. Just make sure you've done your background reading and you're willing and ready to discuss ideas, as well as being able to capably justify your decision (in your PS).
Will do! Thank you so much everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending