The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Hiya!! when do you think i should start to do my medify mocks?? I have 13 days till my exam and don't know when to start??
Original post by michaela__
A month, and yes I skim read too! I'm actually gonna have a little practice now at reading the passages on UKCAT Ninja just in case the questions are dreadful tomorrow ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which region of the country are you doing it in? I'm hoping on the off chance you are doing it in the same one as me so you can tell me if there are keyboards there lol
Original post by mm_7
Hiya!! when do you think i should start to do my medify mocks?? I have 13 days till my exam and don't know when to start??

I started mine like 3/4 days before lol but I'd say leave them until the last week

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Squishy•
Which region of the country are you doing it in? I'm hoping on the off chance you are doing it in the same one as me so you can tell me if there are keyboards there lol

😂 ngl I am worried after seeing someone say there wasn't any keyboards lol, I'm in Cheshire.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mathsmad123
Recently sat my UKCAT and got:
VR: 530 (lol)........was always bad at this, was getting 570ish in the mocks, the texts were not insanely long but so hard to understand as it was mainly on 16th century history and politics in different countries
QR: 890.....was getting about 850ish in the mocks, tbh people say it was so easy but it really wasn't, it was just standard. Don't get complacent for this section, my mate came out with 600. It was a tad easier then medify. Overall just be quick at understanding the data and you'd be fine.
AR: 860.....found it quite easy, the same difficulty as medify. I guessed 5 questions in total as i couldn't figure out 1 set. Just remember scans. There were a lot of annoying sequences questions too about 6-7 i would say.
SJT: band 1

did you apply scans in each set and get a definite answer?? x
well done, amazing score!!!
Nice score!
Did you get loads of data questions or not? What were the type of qs in QR??
How were the patterns in AR, were they complexed and were there lots of Set A/B Questions or were there lots of complete the series/this is that so what is this to that?
Thanks

Yes lots of data for QR: pie charts ( 8 questions) bar chars (MANY questions ) it was all data tbh.
For AR there was roughly 45 set A/B questions out of 55. there was 10 of serious and this is to this so was is that equal to.Patterns same difficulty as medify one pattern was number of enclosed spaces and i was just like yeah baby!!!!
Having sat this exam twice i would say it is:60% ability (which almost all of us have)20% strategy (for e.g for VR just make sure you know what you are gonna do, i skipped long passages and concentrated mainly on the T/F/CT, this worked the best for me)20% mental (Take deep breathes (or breaths????) at the start to slow you heart rate down and remove anxiety, trust me last year i was SOOOOO nervous for the VR section, i couldn't read the passages and take in and retain in. So its crucial you keep control of your nerves!)
Good Luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Does anyone know if you get certain number of T/F questions and type 2 questions or is it random?
Yes lots of data for QR: pie charts ( 8 questions) bar chars (MANY questions ) it was all data tbh.
For AR there was roughly 45 set A/B questions out of 55. there was 10 of serious and this is to this so was is that equal to.
Having sat this exam twice i would say it is:60% ability (which almost all of us have)20% strategy (for e.g for VR just make sure you know what you are gonna do, i skipped long passages and concentrated mainly on the T/F/CT, this worked the best for me)20% mental (Take deep breathes (or breaths????) at the start to slow you heart rate down and remove anxiety, trust me last year i was SOOOOO nervous for the VR section, i couldn't read the passages and take in and retain in. So its crucial you keep control of your nerves!)
Good Luck!

When you say 45 set A/B do you mean A, B, neither? or actually A/B because I can't do those ones at all 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lostperson
wow... congrats... so did you read the whole passage quickly then answer?

Yeap i did that for the most part but switched to skimming only at the very end when i didn't have sufficient time left.
For AR there was roughly 45 set A/B questions out of 55. there was 10 of serious and this is to this so was is that equal to.Patterns same difficulty as medify one pattern was number of enclosed spaces and i was just like yeah baby!!!!
Good Luck!

do you remember any other sort of patterns that came up? LOL AT yeahhhh baby!! haha
When you say 45 set A/B do you mean A, B, neither? or actually A/B because I can't do those ones at all 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

A, B neither luckily! All of the patterns from what i can remember had one rule except for 1 set with some horrible arrows, which had like 3 rules!!!! Just remember the SCANS and all that.
Original post by jaysinn
Yeap i did that for the most part but switched to skimming only at the very end when i didn't have sufficient time left.

awesome , thanks! it is my strategy to skim read the passage too!... I've been practicing skimming!
Original post by Potatoo
See for VR was it mostly T/F/CT or the type 2.

If i recall correctly (i did my ukcat more than a month ago), i think it was more type 2!
Good Luck!

What did you get in VR,QR and AR last year?
Thanks loads for the advice. Are you able to let me know of you practice analysis % on medify if you can please?
So did you flag all the longer ones and do all the t/f/c straight away and then come back to them?
You know the AR patterns, how simple were they? like was there some u were puzzled on or had multiple rules?
awesome , thanks! it is my strategy to skim read the passage too!... I've been practicing skimming!

Stick to whatever you prefer because thats what you're most familiar with! :smile:
do you remember any other sort of patterns that came up? LOL AT yeahhhh baby!! haha

HMmmmmmmmmm, just the general ones like : number of enclosed spaces, rotation of 90 degrees vs 180 degrees, some random one with arrows indication colour and position and there was one with LOTS of shapes in each box that i couldn't get lol. The sequences were easy for me, anyone with half a brain would have gotten the sequences i had they were just like increasing the number of sides in a shape, increasing number of objects and all that. I guess most of it is luck!
I started mine like 3/4 days before lol but I'd say leave them until the last week

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahh ok ! thanks
What did you get in VR,QR and AR last year?
Thanks loads for the advice. Are you able to let me know of you practice analysis % on medify if you can please?
So did you flag all the longer ones and do all the t/f/c straight away and then come back to them?
You know the AR patterns, how simple were they? like was there some u were puzzled on or had multiple rules?

LOL at my VR school last year (470), QR: 810, AR: 600.
Okay for VR on medify I got 53%, QR: 89%, AR: 82%
Yeah i went straight to the T/f/CT ones, having said that they were hard for someone who has only read 1 fiction book in their whole life!!!!!! You just have to be so fast with you eyes. I came back to the longer ones, in total i guessed 16
AR was fine, seriously the same as medify, 1 had multiple rules
Oh and i should mention for QR i guessed 4 and still got 890
A, B neither luckily! All of the patterns from what i can remember had one rule except for 1 set with some horrible arrows, which had like 3 rules!!!! Just remember the SCANS and all that.

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's gotten to the point where I just want it over with, there's a certain aspect of luck and that's the part that I'm most nervous for ngl.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending