The Student Room Group

What is it like to be an ODP

Hi all please can you help me I am interested in becoming an ODP but I have no idea what it is really like. I have a problem with urine and faeces and would not be able to clean a patient. Would I be responsible for cleaning this up? Is human waste something that I am likely to come in to contact with. Please help

Steve
Original post by stevenf12
Hi all please can you help me I am interested in becoming an ODP but I have no idea what it is really like. I have a problem with urine and faeces and would not be able to clean a patient. Would I be responsible for cleaning this up? Is human waste something that I am likely to come in to contact with. Please help

Steve

Yes, you are likely to see/smell human waste, especially in general/urological surgery.

In my hospital, the theatre nurses are generally called on to deal with any excretory accidents on the patient, but in general/urological surgery some of it can end up on the floor. In that case it is still the responsibility of ODPs/nurses/support workers to clean the theatre, and you will be expected to be part of the team who clears it up. It's something I got over pretty quickly myself.

If you want to find out what being an ODP is really like, it might be an idea to take up a job as a theatre support worker/care assistant in your summer holidays. Or feel free to pm me (I'm a theatre support worker at the moment, but I work around a lot of ODPs)
Original post by stevenf12

Steve

In short yes you'll encounter most bodily fluids, you will and yes, you will be expected to help clean up someone who needs it.

As a student ODP you'll have to complete competencies in all aspects of perioperative care, so anaesthetics, scrub and recovery. If you have a problem with urine and faeces, have you thought about how you'll cope staring into someone's abdomen being given bits of their resected intestines? In recovery, if a patient soils themselves or bleeds onto their sheets you'll be expected to clean them up, to leave them like that is to put them at risk of their skin breaking down and think about the dignity side of things too.

If you've not already, I suggest you go and get some exposure to the role through work experience or as a support worker like the above poster has just suggested to see if it's really for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending