The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JTran38
Yes it's possible and if you want some help I recommend @Lemur14 and @_gcx but ofc others would happily help. :biggrin:

Thanks Jacky :smile: Pm me @pinkypaz123 if you need any help :smile:
For their history coursework, is there anyone doing the question 'To what extent is Kenilworth castle typical to the development of castles?' OCR Is my exam board by the way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tips on the seen poetry? Learning them and stuff, haven't learned any yet....
Original post by Rhasa91
Tips on the seen poetry? Learning them and stuff, haven't learned any yet....

Memorise a few quotes for each poem. Analyse the quotes in deep. The questions are always quite predictable. For AQA it'll always be a comparison of a common theme between two poems, with one poem printed. You can do practice questions based on that template

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi!!

I'm Wen Qi!!
I enjoy reading, sudoku, kenken (search it up, it's pretty fun), tennis, piano, violin, scrabble (when I feel like it), manga and anime. (#otaku)
I'm taking 13 GCSEs but I've already taken 3 so that's 10 left for Year 11! :biggrin:

Spoiler

Honestly, I think I spend wayyyyy too much time reading manga and just messing about so no, I'm not ready for Year 11. If I actually stop procrastinating, I could actually get somewhere... haha...

For everyone out there, I HATE the new English GCSE... Why can't I just have coursework and a clean copy of the poem in the exam? (*sobs*)

My favourite subject is Maths and probably always will be... (although I don't like my teacher) The rest are kind of so-so. English is definitely not my favourite subject.

For A-Levels, I'm thinking Maths, Further Maths, Further Further Maths and Further Further Further Maths. Just kidding!
I will definitely take Maths and Further Maths. Maybe Physics. And just because I need a written subject, I might go for Economics because I don't like English much and History gets a little repetitive (I mean, it's history)

I don't know what I want to be in the future yet.... so I'll just leave that for another day :biggrin:
Original post by wenqi.s
Hi!!
And just because I need a written subject, I might go for Economics

Why do you need a written subject? Whats wrong with picking all maths/sciences?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BobBobson
Why do you need a written subject? Whats wrong with picking all maths/sciences?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's so that I'm not limited to just maths and sciences, just in case I feel like switching to something more... I don't know.. language based? My teachers are all gung-ho about taking an essay-based subject when all I want to do are maths and sciences and to be completely honest, Economics is pretty valued anyways...
Original post by wenqi.s
It's so that I'm not limited to just maths and sciences, just in case I feel like switching to something more... I don't know.. language based? My teachers are all gung-ho about taking an essay-based subject when all I want to do are maths and sciences and to be completely honest, Economics is pretty valued anyways...

Okay, but don't feel pressured into taking a subject you don't want to take just because your teacher's or whoever want you to.
Original post by BobBobson
Okay, but don't feel pressured into taking a subject you don't want to take just because your teacher's or whoever want you to.

Thanks for the concern :smile: but I genuinely enjoy that subject and I would have taken it even if my teachers or whoever didn't pressure me to take it.
Original post by Lemur14
Yep that's the same question as me. We haven't really done much research yet, we've literally researched key dates around that time lol. We have a double tomorrow where hopefully our teacher is back and we can make some progress (We've only had 2 hours with her so far due to various different things happening at school).
I can't really say how I'm finding the question because of how littke we've done, but I'm happy with the topic so that's a good start though I'd rather talk about economic instability than political disorder.
I wouldn't worry about how to structure your answer as I'm sure you will be guided through it, and if nothing ekse, all it is is a massive sclaed up 10 marker. You'll need plenty of points amd evidence but I'm sure you've already researched that :smile:
I'm hoping for an A/A* as well, if nothing ekse but to pull up my exam grade, because I akways run out of time:frown: I ideally want all As/A*s plus the B I already have so I really need to work for that in history in particular.
What other units are you doing?
I'm doing
International Relations: The interwar years 1919-1939 (which is actually really helpful for this coursework:smile:)
USA:Land of the free? 1945-1975
and British depth study 1890-1914 (I think that's the years anyway, lol)

I've just had 2 lessons of the 'actual coursework' so far (so planning)- it's been quite good, just sorting through contextual knowledge and which sources to use (although the sources we've been given aren't the best).
I'm sure you'll do great, good luck though! I'm the same in tests, I only just managed to finish history :smile: I also am really hoping for A*s in most things, with the exception to english (i find english impossible lol, hoping for a 6) maybe German (hoping for an A/A*) and the same for history (depending if its a nice exam paper :biggrin:)

I think for history I'm doing;
International Relations: The Cold War 1945-1975
The USA 1919-1941 depth study
and How far did British society change? 1939-1975??? ( I think it's this one anyway- not sure as I'm starting this one after coursework:tongue:)
Could anyone who has their music composition graded give me an idea of the standard of mine? I'm really not sure what to add but it's due in two weeks! I'll PM anyone the link who asks! Please help
Original post by MissChameleon
Good luck to you too! :smile:

I'm doing Macbeth, Jekyll & Hyde and An Inspector Calls too. What do you think about them? I'm doing Relationships from the poetry anthology.

I'm doing the same English Lit texts. I went back to read Jekyll & Hyde over the holidays (we did it at the very start of year 10) and I'd forgotten how difficult it was to understand Victorian language! At least with Shakespeare they translate it on the other side of the page!

I'm doing nine and a half GCSEs, and I've already done the half one.

Spoiler

Planned A-Levels:
Government & Politics.
Economics.
French.

It would be good for my uni course to do Maths but I'm worried enough about the GCSE - I don't think I could stand doing it for A-Level, which has basically disqualified me from a good few universities.
Oh well.

On the topic of maths, I really don't understand quadratic sequences or getting the minimum point of a graph from completing the square. I've talked to my teachers about it and even gone onto MyMaths (that's how distressed I am about this) but I can't understand it for the life of me. Any help?
Cheers!
Reply 672
Anyone else thinking about taking english lit, history and politics at a-level?
Original post by Skiing Turtles

On the topic of maths, I really don't understand quadratic sequences or getting the minimum point of a graph from completing the square. I've talked to my teachers about it and even gone onto MyMaths (that's how distressed I am about this) but I can't understand it for the life of me. Any help?
Cheers!

For Min Turning points:
Say you have the equation y=x2+4x+1 y = x^2 + 4x + 1 , that can be written as: y=(x+2)23 y = (x+2)^2 -3 .
To find the minimum turning point, you need find the point where y is at its lowest value. So therefore, you want the point where (x+2)23 (x+2)^2 - 3 is at its lowest value. You can't do anything about the "-3" bit, that's a constant, but what you can do is to make (x+2)2 (x+2)^2 as low as possible. You do that by making x = -2, so that you get (2+2)2=02 (-2+2)^2 = 0^2 , if x is any less, or any more, then you'll get a positive number for that part of the equation. The key is to make the value inside the brackets be 0.

So now you know x is -2, what is y? Well, you just plug in the values so you get y=(2+2)23=3 y = (-2+2)^2 - 3 = -3 , this is just the value outside the brackets. So the minimum turning point for y=x2+4x+1 y = x^2 + 4x + 1 is (2,3) (-2, -3) . See if you can do the same for the maximum turning point of y=x2+4x+1 y = -x^2 + 4x + 1
Original post by Skiing Turtles
I'm doing the same English Lit texts. I went back to read Jekyll & Hyde over the holidays (we did it at the very start of year 10) and I'd forgotten how difficult it was to understand Victorian language! At least with Shakespeare they translate it on the other side of the page!

I'm doing nine and a half GCSEs, and I've already done the half one.

Spoiler

Planned A-Levels:
Government & Politics.
Economics.
French.

It would be good for my uni course to do Maths but I'm worried enough about the GCSE - I don't think I could stand doing it for A-Level, which has basically disqualified me from a good few universities.
Oh well.

Cheers!

Hi,

Nice to meet you! :biggrin: I just starting rereading Jekyll and Hyde. I also read it at the start of year 10, somehow my teacher felt we'd remember everything.

I understand the maths struggle. :frown: Tomorrow, I have a maths test on everything we've learnt. Do you have a mathswatch login? It saved my life last year. Bitesize can be useful also and I recommend getting a revision guide - I have the CGP 9-1 revision guide.

I don't think I'm qualified to help anyone with quadratic sequences since I've already forgotton it but here's the bitesize link for quadratic sequences: http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/maths/algebra/sequencesquadrev1.shtml

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by lexren
Anyone else thinking about taking english lit, history and politics at a-level?

Yep :biggrin: I'm clearly not the only one :smile:
Hi! I'm Anshul
- What are your hobbies and interests?

Kickboxing and I'm probably going to start badminton soon maybe depending on school work and stuff
- How many GCSEs are you taking?
9, already taken Core Science. Achieved a B, 6 marks off an A

- What subjects are you taking and with what exam board?
English Lit and Lang AQA, Maths Edexcel, Add. Science OCR, ICT Edexcel, Business Edexcel, History AQA and French AQA.

- Do you think you're ready for Year 11 and the new GCSEs?
Noooooo bare scared for maths LOOL

- What's your favourite subject(s)?
Errrrrrrr LOL, English and History? I want As in both as I'm definitely going to do both for A-Level

- What's your dream career?
It's been Law for the last few months but I'm thinking to do economics or medicine maybe. Honestly not sure tbh
Hey, I'm Amy and I'm obviously in Year 11 right now. Not particularly ready for it as I'm already freaking out about mocks in November. With my high skill in procrastination on top of that, I have no clue how I'm going to survive.

My hobbies are basically watching YouTube all day and listening to music, mostly musicals as of lately, but sometimes I mix it up a bit. I play video games too.

I'm interested in Maths and Computing, so I plan on taking both of those in A-Level as well along with History and Law if I can.

I'm taking all the compulsory subjects for GCSEs (Additional Science included unfortunately :frown:), but I'm also taking History, Computer Science (ocr) and Drama.

My dream career would probably be something in Computing like Software Engineer maybe, but I guess I'll see where life takes me.
Original post by amyjones14xx
Hey, I'm Amy and I'm obviously in Year 11 right now. Not particularly ready for it as I'm already freaking out about mocks in November. With my high skill in procrastination on top of that, I have no clue how I'm going to survive.

My hobbies are basically watching YouTube all day and listening to music, mostly musicals as of lately, but sometimes I mix it up a bit. I play video games too.

I'm interested in Maths and Computing, so I plan on taking both of those in A-Level as well along with History and Law if I can.

I'm taking all the compulsory subjects for GCSEs (Additional Science included unfortunately :frown:), but I'm also taking History, Computer Science (ocr) and Drama.

My dream career would probably be something in Computing like Software Engineer maybe, but I guess I'll see where life takes me.

I am an awful procrastinator too but there are various apps where you have a timer on for 25 minutes and that is followed my a 5 mins break. In the 25 minutes you can do nothing but work I recommend it I went through two cycles and got 2 pieces of homework done in 50 minutes instead of 2 or 3 hours XD
Does anyone know of any good apps or websites that test year 11 maths non calculator. My teacher said that at the end of every month we will have a miniature mock she just told us today for next Friday....

Latest