The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by michaela__
I feel so sick already over it and my exam isn't even today lmao 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too ngl. AND MINE IS IN A WEEK!!!!!

Seriously, just don't stress and don't go in thinking what people have said (eg QR is much easier as that can impact you). Not to scare you but my friend got 520 in the QR, as you can imagine, he was pissed.

So good luck, come of TSR and do what you can now :smile:

Make sure to update us tomorrow!!!
Original post by Nuba123
That's a great back-up btw personally I have more interest in bodily functions and dissections - which is distasteful but I find it interesting so that's why I would go down the more academic route.

Honestly, the number 1 worst thing you could be doing right now is freaking out - which I have to say I spent a lot of time doing and I didn't get what I wanted. Spend loads of time on AR because patterns you notice whilst practising some of them WILL come up. So this section could significantly improve your score as there are only a limited amount of patterns that come up and if you remember these then you'll find the section easy. For VR I did **** in this but that's because I freaked out take your time with this and make sure you read the question carefully. For quantative reasoning it was like Nat 5 maths except really time constraint so make sure you JUST work on the timing for this because for this section I didn't really find anything tough I just ran out of time - to such an extent I had to basically guess the last 15 questions. SJ you'll manage this I'm sure it's worth reading the general medical practise document and you'll easily get a 1 or 2. Hope this helped.

Thanks so much! I really hope it goes well and your score is pretty good. I would take your average tbh!!!

You still have a big chance :smile:

Going to try and stop procrastinating now :smile:
Original post by .......Jeff458
Me too ngl. AND MINE IS IN A WEEK!!!!!

Seriously, just don't stress and don't go in thinking what people have said (eg QR is much easier as that can impact you). Not to scare you but my friend got 520 in the QR, as you can imagine, he was pissed.

So good luck, come of TSR and do what you can now :smile:

Make sure to update us tomorrow!!!

Aw bless you, you're so lovely! I'm going to go in thinking it's hard af otherwise I won't concentrate properly anyway 😂 I'm relying on my QR so hopefully I do decent in that 😰 thank you and hopefully I can come back onto the thread tomorrow and not make a massive fool out of myself lol 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
how many hours a day are you guys revising on average? also vr is killing me, i don't even understand the passages in medify let alone being able to answer them :frown: and people are saying its harder in the real thing so i am doomed!
do you think i would get an offer for medicine in a London college if i got BBCD at AS and i got low gcse results (1A* 3As rest are Bs)???
i dont know my ukcat score yet cuz i still need to do the exam but what sort of score would still give me a chance
also for people who have done the test; would you suggest reading the intro section of the QR questions? these seem to be quite long and i was wondering if its best to jump into the questions
Reply 5366
Original post by mm_7
do you think i would get an offer for medicine in a London college if i got BBCD at AS and i got low gcse results (1A* 3As rest are Bs)???
i dont know my ukcat score yet cuz i still need to do the exam but what sort of score would still give me a chance

you can apply for foundation medicine courses. Kings has a foundation medicine degree which requires AAA-BBB and my friend got an offer last year of ABB so you have a chance. St Georges also have a lower entry requirement of AAB. But to be eligible for these courses, you need to meet specific requirements e.g. low income, first in family to go on to higher education.

If you're okay with moving outside London, Southampton and Northampton have foundation medicine degrees with BBC entry requirements.
Original post by .......Jeff458
Thanks so much! I really hope it goes well and your score is pretty good. I would take your average tbh!!!

You still have a big chance :smile:

Going to try and stop procrastinating now :smile:

Thanks lol, my dad's constantly like phone the unis and ask them if my score is good lol. I just emailed them so we'll see what they say. And yeah, definitely don't procrastinate - but by saying that I would be a HUGE hypocrite. lol.
Original post by asyth
you can apply for foundation medicine courses. Kings has a foundation medicine degree which requires AAA-BBB and my friend got an offer last year of ABB so you have a chance. St Georges also have a lower entry requirement of AAB. But to be eligible for these courses, you need to meet specific requirements e.g. low income, first in family to go on to higher education.

If you're okay with moving outside London, Southampton and Northampton have foundation medicine degrees with BBC entry requirements.

I emailed Kings to see if i was eligible for their course but because my school isn't in greater london i'm not eligible so that's out of the question :frown: i don't fit the other criteria aswell :frown:(

i don''t really know where else i can apply thats in london
So I did my UKCAT and got 710 avg and was wondering if that was good enough for Exeter as I have A*A*A predictions and exeter rejected a lot of people with predictions lower than A*A*A* :\
Reply 5370
Original post by Potatoo
Any tips for VR I've been trying but I suck at it. I can do the T/F questions but I can't do the other ones. Got my test tomorrow

Yo i got 723 on my ukcat exam. In all honesty, you should just read the qs first and then scan the passage for the questions which arnt true or false. That way after reading the qs you already know what sorta keywords to be looking for
Original post by Vomi
Yo i got 723 on my ukcat exam. In all honesty, you should just read the qs first and then scan the passage for the questions which arnt true or false. That way after reading the qs you already know what sorta keywords to be looking for

Thanks mate. I really struggle with the other type of questions(comprehension ones). Did you read question first, then the options and finally the passage?
Reply 5372
Original post by mm_7
I emailed Kings to see if i was eligible for their course but because my school isn't in greater london i'm not eligible so that's out of the question :frown: i don't fit the other criteria aswell :frown:(

i don''t really know where else i can apply thats in london

You could retake some AS exams and hopefully AAA for A2 so you'd be eligible to loads of London unis but this would mean you'd have to get your teachers to predict you AAA. If not, you could always take a gap year and apply next year.
Reply 5373
Original post by Potatoo
Thanks mate. I really struggle with the other type of questions(comprehension ones). Did you read question first, then the options and finally the passage?

I read the question, scan the passage and finally pick the option which best matched what i read
Original post by Vomi
I read the question, scan the passage and finally pick the option which best matched what i read

Thanks man
Original post by asyth
You could retake some AS exams and hopefully AAA for A2 so you'd be eligible to loads of London unis but this would mean you'd have to get your teachers to predict you AAA. If not, you could always take a gap year and apply next year.

what if i didn't retake some AS and got predicted AAA? would that mean i'm eligible for loads of london medical schools??
if i'm getting 21/30 on medify on the limited time practice, what sort of score should i be expecting in the real ukcat exam
Reply 5377
Original post by mm_7
what if i didn't retake some AS and got predicted AAA? would that mean i'm eligible for loads of london medical schools??

Yeah, you'd be eligible for Kings, Queen Marys and St Georges. You'd also have to do the BMAT (i think) for UCL and Imperial. Check their websites for detailed entry requirements.
Original post by asyth
Yeah, you'd be eligible for Kings, Queen Marys and St Georges. You'd also have to do the BMAT (i think) for UCL and Imperial. Check their websites for detailed entry requirements.

ahh greatt!! thanks for your help!! now i've just got to convince my teachers to predict me 3 As :s-smilie::smile:
Original post by mm_7

No london unis i don't think. UCL are heavy on AS and imperial are on GCSEs.
Try other places, besides two unis in london are bmat anyway

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending