The Student Room Group

I re-took A2 Exams. Now at University. AMA

Trying to keep is short as possible..

Intro:
Ngl, 3 years ago when I received my A2 results I was bitterly upset and disappointed with my A2 results. I had messed up badly and didn't know what to do. So I'm posting this thread just for those that also 'messed up' and need to take a year out resit there A2's or are even considering it and if they want any advice. Here to help. It can be done!

Bio:Original AS Grades
AABB
Original A2 grades:ABC
Predicted A2 grades: A*AA

Course + Requirements:
Firm: University of Birmingham - Chemical Engineering.
AAA
Insurance: University of Sheffield - Chemical Engineering.AAB

Re-sit A2 grades:AAB - Got into firm which was University of Birmingham to study Chemical Engineering even though offer was also AAA again. (Delighted)

QnA.

Why did you take a gap year and resit?
As my predicted grades showed and what I already knew is that I was more than capable of getting the grades but was lazy and messed up a few exams also. I didn't want to settle for a worse university.

Did the universities care?Nope. All the universities I applied to were russell group, all gave me offers on re-application. I even submitted the form quite late (December) and with the same personal statement with no changes. No-on gave a toss. Remember universities want your heard earned $$.

How many exams did u resit?Two Chemistry A2 modules
Two Physics A2 modules

You didn't meet the grades again, do you struggle at university?
Currently at university, going into masters with current average of 67% which is not too bad tbh.

Any further questions, ask away.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alexjones1994

Intro:
Ngl, 3 years ago when I received my A2 results I was bitterly upset and disappointed with my A2 results. I had messed up badly and didn't know what to do. So I'm posting this thread just for those that also 'messed up' and need to take a year out resit there A2's or are even considering it and if they want any advice. Here to help. It can be done!

AABB

Course + Requirements:
AAA

Re-sit A2 grades:AAB - Got into firm which was University of Birmingham to study Chemical Engineering even though offer was also AAA again. (Delighted)

QnA.

As my predicted grades showed and what I already knew is that I was more than capable of getting the grades but was lazy and messed up a few exams also. I didn't want to settle for a worse university.

Did the universities care?Nope. All the universities I applied to were russell group, all gave me offers on re-application. I even submitted the form quite late (December) and with the same personal statement with no changes. No-on gave a toss. Remember universities want your heard earned $$.

Two Physics A2 modules

Currently at university, going into masters with current average of 67% which is not too bad tbh.

That's amazing man! Btw, how long did it take for them to give you an offer for next year?
Reply 2
Original post by KINGYusuf
That's amazing man! Btw, how long did it take for them to give you an offer for next year?

I don't remember exactly but roughly the same time as before.
I don't remember exactly but roughly the same time as before.

Did you retake at your College?
Reply 4
Did you retake at your College?

Ah yes. Key bit of detail I missed out. I re-took at school. I didn't re-attend school however for teaching as I knew it was just a case of me having to be less lazy and actually learning the stuff rather than me not understanding. I had to pay for the resits and I obviously just re-sat them with the year below me. (was annoying seeing them again :P)
Ah yes. Key bit of detail I missed out. I re-took at school. I didn't re-attend school however for teaching as I knew it was just a case of me having to be less lazy and actually learning the stuff rather than me not understanding. I had to pay for the resits and I obviously just re-sat them with the year below me. (was annoying seeing them again :P)

See the problem with that now is everyone's on the new spec, where am I supposed to do it haha
Reply 6
See the problem with that now is everyone's on the new spec, where am I supposed to do it haha

Ah, that could be a problem. Have you asked your college?
Reply 7
Did no one at all say anything about using the same personal statement?
I thought that we were required to change it?
Do you regret it at all? Is it worth it for a 'good uni'? Also, I am contemplating doing a foundation year locally and seeing if I can transfer to a better university with the foundation year under my belt. How does this sound for increasing my odds of getting into a Russell Group Uni?

Intro:

AABB

Course + Requirements:
AAA

QnA.

Two Physics A2 modules

I'm considering doing something similar to this as I'm not happy with the A2 grades I got + no longer want to go to my firm but have a few questions.

I improved my AS grades from last year massively but all the retakes affected my A2 exams - will my new predicted grades when I reapply be based on the improved AS grades or A2 grades I have now and who decides the predictions?

Also will my reference be only written by one teacher or many like the first time?
Original post by atimsa
Did no one at all say anything about using the same personal statement?
I thought that we were required to change it?

Yeah I thought this too but I literally must of changed about 2 lines in the statement. You are supposed to show you are doing something productive I guess in the year out and thats where I made up two lines. They didn't really care as you can tell! No problems with plagiarism etc. Technically its self-plagiarism but UCAS allows it.
Original post by cstubbs101
Do you regret it at all? Is it worth it for a 'good uni'? Also, I am contemplating doing a foundation year locally and seeing if I can transfer to a better university with the foundation year under my belt. How does this sound for increasing my odds of getting into a Russell Group Uni?

Is it possible to do a foundation year at one university and transfer to a degree course to another University straight after?
(edited 7 years ago)
Is it possible to do a foundation year at one university and transfer to a degree course to another University straight after?

I'm not sure to be perfectly honest. My friend is trying it an my local university said you get a certificate out of it so it is a qualification. The problem is whether other universities accept it. :/
Original post by cstubbs101

I know alot of people who took a foundation year in engineering at my university and went on to do chemical engineering. Two things with foundation year:
1) Its pretty tough. Normally they require you get <70% in relevant modules.
2) It really helps prepare you for your course, more so than a-levels.

In regards to transferring. I don't believe the top universities will allow you to transfer to another university like that unless in extenuating circumstances. You will have to do the degree at that university most likely. Bear that in mind.

You got to weigh up your options. Realistically, can you get better grades? If so 100% retake. Why do you want to be stuck at a worse university and be worse of after education? If your university of choice offers a foundation year and you have the grades for that then take that up... Think carefully though and do your research. Remember its the rest of your life. One year won't make a difference.
Original post by studntoflife
I'm considering doing something similar to this as I'm not happy with the A2 grades I got + no longer want to go to my firm but have a few questions.

I improved my AS grades from last year massively but all the retakes affected my A2 exams - will my new predicted grades when I reapply be based on the improved AS grades or A2 grades I have now and who decides the predictions?

Also will my reference be only written by one teacher or many like the first time?

Mine were based of AS and A2 grades. Your teachers at your current school / college will tell you your predicted grades. Even though i got ABC i got predicted AAA again as I had AAB at AS.

I got the exact same references as I did first time :smile:. They just used the same ones.

I would discuss these things with your school / college also just to confirm.
Wow, this is a great story. I'm in a similar position as I'm having to retake during a gap year. May I ask, what other unis did you apply to? :smile:
Original post by Sammy9898
Wow, this is a great story. I'm in a similar position as I'm having to retake during a gap year. May I ask, what other unis did you apply to? :smile:

I applied:
Birmingham
Sheffield
Manchester
Loughborough
Nottingham

I knew Loughborough, Sheffield and Notts would likely take me on ABB hence I applied there :smile:.
Reply 17
I applied:
Birmingham
Sheffield
Manchester
Loughborough
Nottingham

I knew Loughborough, Sheffield and Notts would likely take me on ABB hence I applied there :smile:.

Was your third a level, maths?
Reply 18
I'm currently taking a 2ND GAP YEAR and my current grades are A*BB in Mathematics, Economics and Chemistry. I am retaking Economics and Chemistry and I'm predicted A*A*A* in Maths, Economics and Chemistry. I am planning to apply for the LSE, UCL KCL and I have 9 As and 2Bs at GCSE. I am trying to produce the best personal statement I can as I really want to get onto the course I want. When I first got my A-level results (August 2015) I got BCC in Econ, Maths and Chem respectively and this year (August 2016) I got A*BB as mentioned above. Now that I'm taking a 2ND GAP YEAR, I am doing work placements at KPMG and PwC to enhance my application plus a part time job. I had an offer for QMUL this year for Econ but I didn't want to go because I didn't like the university/area plus a pure Econ course is very maths heavy. I just felt like QMUL wasn't the right university and I wasn't excited to go at all. QMUL isn't heavily targeted for banking and finance and I would feel more motivated at KCL, UCL or LSE. Do you think I made the right decision ?
Did you mention you were re-sitting on your application?

Quick Reply