The Student Room Group

Why is A-level maths SO much harder than every other A-level?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 04MR17
Ok, so you bombed C1 and weren't that great in C2 or S1 (not wonderful for economics if you're getting low S1 scores) you do realise that the score out of a hundred is not a percentage? The score you get out of 75 [I'm presuming you did Edexcel by the way] corresponds to a UMS mark (standardised) out of a hundred which is the number you get on results day. Did you do all the papers? Timed? And marked yourself?

Usually finished C1 papers in 30 minutes, they gave us a horrible exam on the day, used full time for the others, and yes i marked them myself.
Original post by lw8
I agree with you. But there's no excuse for poor teaching, teachers should only go into a job in teaching if they know they can make a difference to students lives and improve their grades, going through a quick power-point and handing them a textbook does not benefit anyone. Teachers definitely have a responsibility for grades, some students however do seem 'unteachable' but in that case the teacher should make it their goal to change this person, they aren't just here to teach subjects, they should change their students lives. That's what a true teacher would do, not just someone that's there for the salary.
Oh there are plenty of excuses for poor teaching: poor training, work-load, family problems etc. Your opinion on teaching is fundamentally flawed sadly, but to involve ourselves in a debate on pedagogies would be a digression from your thread title.
Original post by lw8
Oh i know that then, you worded it funny, but it finds the gradient, thats the thing, i know that, but i dont know why the gradient is relevant and how differentiation fundamentally works. I get that its a formula of some sort or whatever.
I want to go on to do economics, Maths in economics makes entire sense, as the letters mean something and they aren't just referred to as a 'number'. I need context to understand fully.:biggrin:

This is all really good banter.

I struggle to remember the formulae in economic theory... but that's just me and my effort.
Reply 43
Original post by 04MR17
Oh there are plenty of excuses for poor teaching: poor training, work-load, family problems etc. Your opinion on teaching is fundamentally flawed sadly, but to involve ourselves in a debate on pedagogies would be a digression from your thread title.

Just curious. What a levels do you do sorry?
Original post by Maths is Life
Fundamentally lol... sick guy.
Some teacher's pay will probably depend on their student's grades.
Last year a maths teacher got sacked for that reason.
I do understand what you're saying.
However this is student room.
TSR has created a stereotype in which you know what that is.
And you condone this? What you have here is the effects of both privatising the education system and creating a system based on academic results.
Original post by lw8
Usually finished C1 papers in 30 minutes, they gave us a horrible exam on the day, used full time for the others, and yes i marked them myself.
OK, so timing was a problem for C1, but your other grades should not be that low. Did you see an improvement in your marks from when you started the papers to when you'd finished? [You should because there's 20 papers per unit]
Original post by Rajive
Just curious. What A levels do you do sorry?
English Lit, Maths, History, Further Maths, General Studies, E.P.Q.
(edited 7 years ago)
From the A Levels I've picked, Maths is the easiest moneyyyyyy yeaaa boiiii
Original post by HurtfulHarold
From the A Levels I've picked, Maths is the easiest moneyyyyyy yeaaa boiiii
BEHAVE or I'll tell your wife:
Original post by Rajive
Same I had to drop history ASAP Lool. What subjects do you do?

Maths
Physics
Chemistry
D.T
Original post by lw8
One thing you can do is get 100%, i'm still convinced no examiner has ever given 100% in an essay based subject, in maths you're right or you're wrong, for people that are good at it, it's easier to get higher.

MY friend’s brother got 100% in GCSE History, if that counts at all.
Personally I find maths the easiest a level that I do
Further maths is more of a challenge
Because all of the exam boards tell you to revise one thing and then when it comes to the actual exam they COMPLETELY change the whole style of the question and screw everyone.:colonhash: If you don't believe me, look at the MPC3 June 2016 paper :smile:) that was a real dream killer *has flashbacks of that disgusting paper* *cringes*
Reply 52
Original post by GEEKSruletheworld!
Because all of the exam boards tell you to revise one thing and then when it comes to the actual exam they COMPLETELY change the whole style of the question and screw everyone.:colonhash: If you don't believe me, look at the MPC3 June 2016 paper :smile:) that was a real dream killer *has flashbacks of that disgusting paper* *cringes*

I'm with AQA for maths a level. Scared now
It depends on your teacher and your strong points. Mostly on the teacher though.

I'm talking Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths (and I took AS Art), and I found Maths to be by far the easiest. Maybe tying in first with Biology. No revision needed for those two.
Original post by Rajive
I'm with AQA for maths a level. Scared now

You might aswell just jump off a cliff now....
just kidding. :tongue:

AQA is a female dog when it comes to exams :colonhash: Core 3 is definitely more horrible than core 4 but my advice would be to learn from our mistakes and basically practice questions from all exams boards aswell as AQA
Reply 55
Original post by GEEKSruletheworld!
You might aswell just jump off a cliff now....
just kidding. :tongue:

AQA is a female dog when it comes to exams :colonhash: Core 3 is definitely more horrible than core 4 but my advice would be to learn from our mistakes and basically practice questions from all exams boards aswell as AQA

What grade did you end up getting?
Original post by Rajive
What grade did you end up getting?

B. but only because my AS grade (A) saved me
Original post by Bulletzone
A very subjective thread.
I'm finding AS Maths nice, but Psychology :colonhash:..... (I dropped that faster than the Prices at sports direct)

>implying the prices ever drop at Sports Direct

They're literally always at 60% OFF! 70% OFF
Original post by JustJusty
It depends on your teacher and your strong points. Mostly on the teacher though.

I'm talking Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths (and I took AS Art), and I found Maths to be by far the easiest. Maybe tying in first with Biology. No revision needed for those two.

Omg how are you doing so many ! :eek: when did you do as art BTW and what did you get if you don't mind me asking :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by leopard923
Omg how are you doing so many ! :eek: when did you do as art BTW and what did you get if you don't mind me asking :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's a bit of a complicated story. I shall write it as bullet points (without the bullet part).

I originally took Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Art.
I dropped Art at the start of October to pick up maths.
My Art teacher didn't let me drop it because I was 'guaranteed an A'.
I did Art in my own time and took up Maths.
At this point I was taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths, with Art as an extra thing.
It turned out I was good at Maths and my teacher really wanted me to do Further Maths (as did I).
I got my results and picked up AS Further Maths on results day.
I am now doing Bio, Chem, Physics, Maths and FM, but I've dropped art.

My results:
Biology: A, predicted A*.
Chemistry: B, predicted A.
Physics: B (3 marks off an A!!), predicted A.
Maths: A, predicted A (but I will retake my AS exams to hopefully get an A*).
AS Art: A.
FM: no predicted grade yet, but finding it easy so far.

Quick Reply

Latest