The Student Room Group

Is this lying?

If I said on my statement I shadowed at a prestigious law firm and it was a firm thats not very well known, is this ok

for law degree btw

also, can i say i play tennis if i stopped a while ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Which universities are you applying to?
Reply 2
Original post by Hippysnake
Which universities are you applying to?

Is that relevant?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Don Joiner
Okay I'm writing my personal statement and about to submit it,

I played tennis competitively from when I was 12-16, and then I quit about 2 years ago,

On my personal statement I wrote "I have been a competitive tennis player for four years"

Now technically that is true, I have been a tennis player for 4 years of my life but not the most recent 4

Is this okay to write?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it is on the borderline but I would say it is okay, though if asked at interview or something they might think that you were trying to mislead them
Is that relevant?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really. Just making small talk.
Okay I'm writing my personal statement and about to submit it,

I played tennis competitively from when I was 12-16, and then I quit about 2 years ago,

On my personal statement I wrote "I have been a competitive tennis player for four years"

Now technically that is true, I have been a tennis player for 4 years of my life but not the most recent 4

Is this okay to write?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

But yes what are the unis you are applying to as some interview and some don't
Reply 6
Original post by Hippysnake
Not really. Just making small talk.

Oh, sorry lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by LPauling
But yes what are the unis you are applying to as some interview and some don't

I am not applying to any courses that interview, so bringing it up at interview is not an issue

Posted from TSR Mobile
it would only be a deal breaker if you were applying to do a tennis degree ?
Just say you played [past tense] tennis for four years, that way you're not lying and you won't be worried about being caught out .
if it bugs you so much, just say 'i played tennis for 4 years' =)))
Reply 11
Original post by W. A. Mozart
There really is nothing wrong with that statement.

"I have been a competitive tennis player for four years" - it already implies past tense, so you're pretty much fine to phrase it in that way.

Thank you very much that has put me at ease :smile:

I think it's good because phrasing it that way could imply I still am but without saying it explicitly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not really important. It doesnt look good if they questioned you about it because the suggestion is you are currently a competitive tennis player rather than a retired one. They arent going to be bothered unless it was a sports science course and you were interviewed. If it came up in that context and they found out you had already quit, then they might think you were pulling a fast one, which goes to character. Really dont think hobbies is going to matter one bit.
I am not applying to any courses that interview, so bringing it up at interview is not an issue

Posted from TSR Mobile

What course and what unis have you applied to? If you would rather PM me them that is fine
I played tennis competitively for 4 years would be better but what you did say is not really a lie
Reply 15
Original post by 999tigger
Not really important. It doesnt look good if they questioned you about it because the suggestion is you are currently a competitive tennis player rather than a retired one. They arent going to be bothered unless it was a sports science course and you were interviewed. If it came up in that context and they found out you had already quit, then they might think you were pulling a fast one, which goes to character. Really dont think hobbies is going to matter one bit.

I won't be interviewed so that's not a problem, thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's good because phrasing it that way could imply I still am but without saying it explicitly

Posted from TSR Mobile

You dont think they have seen a zillion forms before? They will be experienced enough at assessing forms. Of hobbies is the only thing you are going to stretch thats fine (akthough I cant see why it matters), but be careful it doesnt become a habit for other parts.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not a great use of space in your PS tbh. Whether you played competitively or for fun or spend your free time making sculptures from your belly button fluff won't really matter either way to admissions staff - they'd much rather hear about your academic interests.
It's not really lying.
Original post by W. A. Mozart
There really is nothing wrong with that statement.

"I have been a competitive tennis player for four years" - it already implies past tense, so you're pretty much fine to phrase it in that way.

Have implies present tense.

'I have been playing tennis for 4 years.'

If have isn't present tense, then what is?

OP should say 'I played tennis competitively over 4 years.'

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest