The Student Room Group

Britain MUST take in more refugees

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KimKallstrom
Palestine never was a state. Strong knowledge lol*

That's a matter of your opinion. Does not make it a fact. But, that's a debate for some other day. So, don't bother replying.
Original post by Rohina123
But you look mixed race lmaooo that means one of your parents are from here 😂😂if u told them to come in you wouldn't exist

Completely irrelevant ...
No!
Out out out!
Build the wall!
Original post by bassbabe
Because there are plenty of other countries that are perfectly safe for refugees. They only want to come here for the benefits. We should be giving houses to the homeless, not barbaric people who's mentalities are stuck in the 14th century.

Why should we burden the surrounding countries by not taking in our share? Given our misadventures in the Middle-East in terms of foreign policy, surely it's somewhat decent to do our bit.

Actually, the refugees are fleeing people whose mentality is stuck in the "14th century". I've personally communicated with individuals from different factions of the civil war who have since become dillusioned with the dichotomy presented to them and left, and most of them seem fairly moderate.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Countries like Yemen, Saudi and Qatar are so much more closer to Syria than Germany. Hardly Islamic to reject a fellow Muslim in need :/

Well, Yemen is in conflict right now too so I doubt refugees would want to go there. I agree about Saudi and Qatar but I'm sure about that Saudis don't like people who don't work white collar jobs so they won't tolerate refugees.
Original post by Saba XD
Well, Yemen is in conflict right now too so I doubt refugees would want to go there. I agree about Saudi and Qatar but I'm sure about that Saudis don't like people who don't work white collar jobs so they won't tolerate refugees.

Is it? Oh that rules it out. I just find it ironic how they're one of the most religious countries in the world and yet they won't help people in need.
Original post by Iridocyclitis
It's appalling that we are stalling on this issue and failing to take in our fair share of refugees.

Even Tim Farron, leader of the Lib Dems, has said that an aid worker told him that Britain needed to "take some effing refugees" and that he is ashamed we aren't doing enough: http://win ww.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/aid-worker-told-tim-farron-britain-must-take-some-effing-refugees_uk_57e14996e4b0d584f7f2d0a3

Numerous celebs have also come out in support. Carey Mulligan has said she is ashamed to be British over our failures to take refugees: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/carey-mulligan-ashamed-to-be-british-over-uk-response-to-refugee-crisis_uk_57e10f13e4b028e52a120c58

We MUST help and take in more refugees.

Have you taken any refugees into your home? No? Oh. What a shame.
Also, hate to agree with Trump, but I mean, his analogy was slightly close to the truth (kind of involving millions of people rather than one in ten people, that was stupid). Although anyone can be radicalised, in any religion (IRA etc.). So...
Excuse me?
Original post by bassbabe
Because there are plenty of other countries that are perfectly safe for refugees. They only want to come here for the benefits. We should be giving houses to the homeless, not barbaric people who's mentalities are stuck in the 14th century.

And what if they're from African countries.
@The_Opinion @Betelgeuse- have you lot seen this thread? :biggrin: I only just discovered it today lol.
Original post by 0to100
Excuse me?

It's foolish to complain about the lack of refugees being taken in when the person complaining is not acting upon their belief. We probably should take in some more refugees, however, there is always the danger of clashes of culture and of extremism. This has already been shown in Germany, although it could be entirely coincidental. The problem is that we can't just allow people into the country when there is a distinct possibilty that a proportion, no matter how small, of the refugees will be extremists. And I am not one of those idiots who goes around saying "stop the muslims from getting into the country", I don't care what religion a person believes in. I am just saying that there is no point letting in people who could be extremists. I agree that we need a long term solution, because that will stop refugees from being disillusioned with the West, but I do not think that rashly letting refugees into the country will help.
Is it? Oh that rules it out. I just find it ironic how they're one of the most religious countries in the world and yet they won't help people in need.

A large proportion of their GDP if made from the fees they charge for Muslims to go on the Hajj.

But they take in basically zero refugees from Syria/Iraq. Wrong type of Muslims apparently so they just assume they are all terrorists and don't let them in.

They are perfectly happy to welcome slave construction labour from places like India and Bangladesh though...
Original post by 0to100

Have you ever heard of Boko Haram?
Original post by Ambitious1999
You could include Syrian Kurdistan although not actually a country, we enticed them to fight IS and yes with help of coalition airstrikes, they did well liberating many city's from ISIS but shortly after liberating Manbij we took Turkey's advice and turned against the Syrian Kurds.

We stopped the airstrikes that protected Kurds from IS, we then told them to stop attacking IS and to retreat back across the Euphrates to Kobane.
We stood back while Turkey shelled and launched airstrikes against the Kurds in Syria and on the other side, IS shelled the Kurds and took back the land they lost to the Kurds with no doubt horrific vengeance against people who'd be liberated a month or so ago, the same people who were seen removing beards, burning the IS flag and burning their burkas in public will be back under IS control. We're not even doing anything to protect these people because Turkey says we shouldn't .

So what good did we do for the Syrian Kurds? In 6 months or so ISIS will once again be attacking and besieging Kobane like in 2014. We told them to fight IS and then stopped supporting them now they are on their own while IS seeks revenge.

I wouldn't deny, leaving your allies is a very bad thing - but these situations are so politically complex - people will decry government action or inaction regardless of what the situation is.

Intervene in Syria - people protest.

Don't intervene in Syria - people protest.

It's only with hindsight that anyone has any "good" ideas about what to do in these places - and even those ideas are terrible.
Original post by 0to100

What's your actual question?

Yeah, they treat non-saudis as fairly low. But, if you're a non-Saudi and work a very high end job then you'd be treated very well. I know a lot of my white friends who work there and have white collar jobs. One of my friend told me that he gets treated like he's a prince or something. (He works in a finance company). But, he said right in front of him, Saudis treat Pakistanis and Bangladeshis who are on labour visas like they're nothing. They treat them very badly. I guess they are just status conscious. :dontknow:

(I hope I'm not derailing the thread though)
Original post by Iridocyclitis
It's appalling that we are stalling on this issue and failing to take in our fair share of refugees.

Even Tim Farron, leader of the Lib Dems, has said that an aid worker told him that Britain needed to "take some effing refugees" and that he is ashamed we aren't doing enough: http://win ww.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/aid-worker-told-tim-farron-britain-must-take-some-effing-refugees_uk_57e14996e4b0d584f7f2d0a3

Numerous celebs have also come out in support. Carey Mulligan has said she is ashamed to be British over our failures to take refugees: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/carey-mulligan-ashamed-to-be-british-over-uk-response-to-refugee-crisis_uk_57e10f13e4b028e52a120c58

We MUST help and take in more refugees.

You're linking the Huff? :lol:

Who gives a **** what "celebs" say?

Britain does not need more refugees. We need to sort our own **** out.
Original post by Duck10101
It's foolish to complain about the lack of refugees being taken in when the person complaining is not acting upon their belief. We probably should take in some more refugees, however, there is always the danger of clashes of culture and of extremism. This has already been shown in Germany, although it could be entirely coincidental. The problem is that we can't just allow people into the country when there is a distinct possibilty that a proportion, no matter how small, of the refugees will be extremists. And I am not one of those idiots who goes around saying "stop the muslims from getting into the country", I don't care what religion a person believes in. I am just saying that there is no point letting in people who could be extremists. I agree that we need a long term solution, because that will stop refugees from being disillusioned with the West, but I do not think that rashly letting refugees into the country will help.

Well everyone on here knows I voted Brexit/to Leave to avoid this. It honestly makes me sick this free movement thing only because it often screws up the priorities of the government helping its own people. These self righteous celebrities tried to convince people to vote Remain as well, from their ivory towers, head completely in the clouds, not realising how dangerous it would be to continue the ignored state of migration into UK with its lack of policies and laws and regulations. It's an obvious safety/security risk. Like every establishment has basic policies on who they let in lol
Original post by Tootles

You're linking the Huff? :lol:

Who gives a **** what "celebs" say?

Britain does not need more refugees. We need to sort our own **** out.

10/10 would sort of agree again
Original post by 0to100
Well everyone on here knows I voted Brexit/to Leave to avoid this. It honestly makes me sick this free movement thing only because it often screws up the priorities of the government helping its own people. These self righteous celebrities tried to convince people to vote Remain as well, from their ivory towers, head completely in the clouds, not realising how dangerous it would be to continue the ignored state of migration into UK with its lack of policies and laws and regulations. It's an obvious safety/security risk. Like every establishment has basic policies on who they let in lol

True. Especially seeing as how the extremists are using new methods to do damage. I mean one man killed 70+ people with a bloody truck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending