The Student Room Group

Friends (or lack of) in Sixth Form/college

(Note: This is anonymous for in case anyone recognises me, I think my usual username would proabbly give me away if anyone I know irl saw this)

So I started 6th form last week at a college, so it's not attatched to a school. However, pretty much everyone from my school goes here too and there's lots of people from other local schools. There's about 1500+ in our year group alone.

I did have a friendship group at school who all attend here but I've kinds drifted apart from them over the past year or two and only really speak to 2 of them but don't want to cling on as one of them doesn't even like me that much.

Last week most people were going to meet their old friendship group from secondary school after lessons and I was hoping this would eventually stop and I'd make a good friendship group then or at least have someone to go to at breaks and lunches. However, this week I've seen different people sitting together (so people from my old school sitting wiht people not from my old school) so I feel a bit like I've missed my chance. I've made friends in all my classes who I chat to and laugh with but they all have their separate friendship group and I've got different people in all my classes which also makes it awkward.

There's a girl I sit with in one of my lessons who I get one really well with and I'd like to ask if I can sit with her at lunch or break but I don't really know how? The lesson I'm in with her isn't just before lunch/break. Tomorrow I've got lesson with her, another lesson, then lunch. Is there any way I could ask without being weird/creepy/awkward.

It's really upsetting me, I feel like I'm the only without anyone to go to at breaks and lunches and it really gets me down, I want to make the first step but I don't know how and I don't want to put someone in a difficult position where they have to say yes, or it's awkward if they make an excuse

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sorry that's an essay and a half: basically I have no friends at 6th form, how do I make some?/how do I ask someone if I can hang out with them at breaks and lunches. Did anyone else have this problem and if so what did you do?

(Also for clarification in my post I'm a girl)
Hiya!

I also started sixth form college last week. All my other friends (my whole social group) went to other colleges, so I went to my new college completely alone.

I made my first friend on Monday and for the first time since I've started, I had someone to hang out with. Up until today, I've been completely alone in frees/breaks/lunch.

What I did was tried to chat to the people around me in my lessons. I tried to be approachable and friendly (which I found tricky because I'm quite a quiet and shy person). She basically asked for another girl on my tables number so they could revise together, and I asked if I could join in too, so we all exchanged numbers. That evening I asked her a question (about our class work) and we got chatting, and then I asked if we shared frees, we sent each other pictures of our timetables and arranged to work together in our frees.

I know this is more of a story, and I really hope it helps in some way! I think you should definitely ask some of the people you chat with in your lessons if they wanted to revise together or do something outside of class.

If you want to have a chat or have any questions feel free to pm me☺️x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
Sorry that's an essay and a half: basically I have no friends at 6th form, how do I make some?/how do I ask someone if I can hang out with them at breaks and lunches. Did anyone else have this problem and if so what did you do?

(Also for clarification in my post I'm a girl)

Hm..I have a feeling I know what college you are talking about. It is ironic as I too am in your situation if you indeed are, even though the chances are rare
Reply 4
Original post by Clueless<3
Hiya!

I also started sixth form college last week. All my other friends (my whole social group) went to other colleges, so I went to my new college completely alone.

I made my first friend on Monday and for the first time since I've started, I had someone to hang out with. Up until today, I've been completely alone in frees/breaks/lunch.

What I did was tried to chat to the people around me in my lessons. I tried to be approachable and friendly (which I found tricky because I'm quite a quiet and shy person). She basically asked for another girl on my tables number so they could revise together, and I asked if I could join in too, so we all exchanged numbers. That evening I asked her a question (about our class work) and we got chatting, and then I asked if we shared frees, we sent each other pictures of our timetables and arranged to work together in our frees.

I know this is more of a story, and I really hope it helps in some way! I think you should definitely ask some of the people you chat with in your lessons if they wanted to revise together or do something outside of class.

If you want to have a chat or have any questions feel free to pm me☺️x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, Glad you're making friends and I hope I get a similar opportunity, it does help so thanks again :h:
Reply 5
Hm..I have a feeling I know what college you are talking about. It is ironic as I too am in your situation if you indeed are, even though the chances are rare

Bit freaked out now...what's the first letter of your college? :K:
Bit freaked out now...what's the first letter of your college? :K:

I so want a reply

This is interesting because I'm such a loner although I do think I'm confident but maybe a bit too enthusiastic in lessons.

My college has no extra curricular so literally I'm too picky about the people in my lessons.
Reply 7
Original post by Maths is Life
I so want a reply

This is interesting because I'm such a loner although I do think I'm confident but maybe a bit too enthusiastic in lessons.

My college has no extra curricular so literally I'm too picky about the people in my lessons.

We have to do on ec but I've picked a really awkward one that people go to at different times so I can't really meet people through that

<being deliberately vague because if anyone recognises me as friendless loner irl I'll have even less chance of making friends lmao>
We have to do on ec but I've picked a really awkward one that people go to at different times so I can't really meet people through that

<being deliberately vague because if anyone recognises me as friendless loner irl I'll have even less chance of making friends lmao>

My reason exactly.

People hate it when you wreak of desperation and your self esteem spirals in oblivion...
Reply 9
Original post by Maths is Life
My reason exactly.

People hate it when you wreak of desperation and your self esteem spirals in oblivion...

That's why I don't want to ask someone even though I know beggars can't be choosers.

Hoping someone can advise on a non desparate way to ask to sit with someone haha
That's why I don't want to ask someone even though I know beggars can't be choosers.

Hoping someone can advise on a non desparate way to ask to sit with someone haha

The only casual way is through extra curricular.

I just hate the notion of rejection, I lost all my friends when they failed A level then we drifted...
Guess it's time to make new friends?
I feel so bad but look you need to put yourself out there. Be nice to people and try to get involved more.
Original post by Carthaginian
Guess it's time to make new friends?

Erm yeah I know...it's more about how lol

Original post by Epistemolog y
I feel so bad but look you need to put yourself out there. Be nice to people and try to get involved more.

I do try, I just don't know how to ask someone if I can join them for lunch without appearing desparate/weird

I do try, I just don't know how to ask someone if I can join them for lunch without appearing desparate/weird

E......

Also we are anonymous, so no one could find out

And you?:cry2::cry2::cry2:

Could just say Hi can I join you? You need to ask people its not desperate. If it feels awkward try something else. Most people know how it feels so won't act like dicks. Just try it you won't regret it. You need to go outside your comfort zone
E......

Also we are anonymous, so no one could find out

And you?:cry2::cry2::cry2:

Not E, Mine begins with R, it would have been so creepy if it was the same college (although then we could have been loners together lmao)
Original post by Epistemolog y
Could just say Hi can I join you? You need to ask people its not desperate. If it feels awkward try something else. Most people know how it feels so won't act like dicks. Just try it you won't regret it. You need to go outside your comfort zone

Because the college is so big you kinda have to agree to meet someone somewhere otherwise you have little chance of just randomly finding them as they'd get lost in the sea of people that is everywhere that people go at breaks and lunches. It just feels so awkward to ask but I'm really going to try
(Note: This is anonymous for in case anyone recognises me, I think my usual username would proabbly give me away if anyone I know irl saw this)

So I started 6th form last week at a college, so it's not attatched to a school. However, pretty much everyone from my school goes here too and there's lots of people from other local schools. There's about 1500+ in our year group alone.

I did have a friendship group at school who all attend here but I've kinds drifted apart from them over the past year or two and only really speak to 2 of them but don't want to cling on as one of them doesn't even like me that much.

Last week most people were going to meet their old friendship group from secondary school after lessons and I was hoping this would eventually stop and I'd make a good friendship group then or at least have someone to go to at breaks and lunches. However, this week I've seen different people sitting together (so people from my old school sitting wiht people not from my old school) so I feel a bit like I've missed my chance. I've made friends in all my classes who I chat to and laugh with but they all have their separate friendship group and I've got different people in all my classes which also makes it awkward.

There's a girl I sit with in one of my lessons who I get one really well with and I'd like to ask if I can sit with her at lunch or break but I don't really know how? The lesson I'm in with her isn't just before lunch/break. Tomorrow I've got lesson with her, another lesson, then lunch. Is there any way I could ask without being weird/creepy/awkward.

It's really upsetting me, I feel like I'm the only without anyone to go to at breaks and lunches and it really gets me down, I want to make the first step but I don't know how and I don't want to put someone in a difficult position where they have to say yes, or it's awkward if they make an excuse

Just a simple you want to get some lunch later? Drop it in the middle of a conversation as you say you chat alot with her.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not E, Mine begins with R, it would have been so creepy if it was the same college (although then we could have been loners together lmao)

Damnn...the suspense was real. True, by that logic we wouldnt be loners lol

And its weird to think there is a 1/18 chance of a college that you may go to. If you went to that college, there would be a 1/1500+ chance that I would know you. Even creepier...near impossible but...creepier...

Quick Reply

Latest