The Student Room Group

Summer 2017 Applications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by A12R34
Morgan Stanley haven't sent me any tests in 7 days now for investment management.

Contact HR/check junk mail. I've just applied for IM and got a test invitation immediately.
Reply 2941
anyone know why there aren't any grad/summer programmes in ER at UBS?
Original post by networx
Got a JPM IBD rejection today

What divison and when did you apply?
I am slightly over-exaggerating as I was tired and pis**d at this after that Lazard numerical and fair enough as I legit messed up MS and Laz have a high a cut off. On my Assessment Day practice tests (6 of them) I averaged 77th percentile but I reckon that's still less than applicant average?

Original post by Turing
MS have come back with test rejections? When did you do them?

Maybe you're just geared up to smash TalentQ (Citi's deadly numerical) :tongue:

Failing that, PhD then Research? Dissertations > Psychometric Tests

Original post by Dante991
Did you get the rejection emails or do you feel the test went bad?

Original post by Kate992
Did you get an email from MS straight away saying you failed the numerical?

Yeah I got direct rejections for Ms, and Laz updates you a almost immediately after each test you do (SJT, then Verbal, then Numerical) so pretty immediate as well

Original post by AKRP

Well, why do you fail them? Is it the time or are the questions too hard?

It's the timing

Original post by Commercial Paper
Unfortunately these tests 100% predict on the job performance which means your destined for unemployment, soz. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not sure whether you're joking but can you expand if you're not? As in, rapidity has never been my strength, but can it go as far as predicting my job performance? I have oriented my career plans away from fast-paced careers such as Markets and more towards project-oriented, time-taking analysis such as Ibd or consulting because I know that fits my skill set better but surely banks need all kinds of people with different skills? And if it does predict job performance, why do banks not just make us take these tests and then give a fit interview, starting with the highest scorer and going in decreasing order? Not trying to be confrontational, just trying to understand the rationale behind those tests, as to me they're just relatively ok-ish ways for Hr to downsize the pool of applicant without subjectively discriminating. Also if the relationship between the tests and job performance is so direct, that would indirectly imply that practising numerical tests and scoring higher through practice would make you better at your job, which is absurd...
Original post by YoussefSilva
Not sure whether you're joking but can you expand if you're not? As in, rapidity has never been my strength, but can it go as far as predicting my job performance? I have oriented my career plans away from fast-paced careers such as Markets and more towards project-oriented, time-taking analysis such as Ibd or consulting because I know that fits my skill set better but surely banks need all kinds of people with different skills? And if it does predict job performance, why do banks not just make us take these tests and then give a fit interview, starting with the highest scorer and going in decreasing order? Not trying to be confrontational, just trying to understand the rationale behind those tests, as to me they're just relatively ok-ish ways for Hr to downsize the pool of applicant without subjectively discriminating. Also if the relationship between the tests and job performance is so direct, that would indirectly imply that practising numerical tests and scoring higher through practice would make you better at your job, which is absurd...

He does have a point to be fair

Pretty sure it was sarcasm dude.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am slightly over-exaggerating as I was tired and pis**d at this after that Lazard numerical and fair enough as I legit messed up MS and Laz have a high a cut off. On my Assessment Day practice tests (6 of them) I averaged 77th percentile but I reckon that's still less than applicant average?

Yeah I got direct rejections for Ms, and Laz updates you a almost immediately after each test you do (SJT, then Verbal, then Numerical) so pretty immediate as well

It's the timing

Relax mate, I'm joking, I think these tests are the biggest pile of **** ever invented.

You know the guy who co-founded SHL, also co-founded TalentQ and also makes a mint out of creating material and creating practise material for certain websites. The guy has legit created a whole industry and minted himself out beyond imagination.

For whatever reason the providers sell to HR that these predict on the job performance with some *****y evidence and then HR believe them. They are used just to cut applicants so I was just being sarcastic in my previous post because it's ****ing obvious to a duck that these tests in no way predict actual performance.

I've never come across a candidate who thinks these tests are any good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Oof. Expecting a rejection from MS after those tests
Original post by alexjones1994
Anyone heard back from Citi posts tests? All i got was the *****y 'passed it' email.

How long did it take for you to get that after completing the test?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Commercial Paper
I've never come across a candidate who thinks these tests are any good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i think they're brilliant. the point of them is exactly that, to cut down the pool of applicants. because i know i can beat many candidates for the mere fact that i'm prepared for them, so it works out in my favour.

simply some people are prepared, whilst others are not.. and to be frank i'll rather work with someone who invested a bit of time and money and spent 2 days actually preparing, because whilst that might not be full 100% evidence, it does show for those who don't pass a lack of initiative.

i think banks however should retest at ACs, given these tests are quite simple to cheat by getting someone who has practiced them to do them for you.

but it's better than hr reviewing 20k CVs cause that's just a long and an unproductive use of time.
Original post by gr8wizard10
i think they're brilliant. the point of them is exactly that, to cut down the pool of applicants. because i know i can beat many candidates for the mere fact that i'm prepared for them, so it works out in my favour.

simply some people are prepared, whilst others are not.. and to be frank i'll rather work with someone who invested a bit of time and money and spent 2 days actually preparing, because whilst that might not be full 100% evidence, it does show for those who don't pass a lack of initiative.

i think banks however should retest at ACs, given these tests are quite simple to cheat by getting someone who has practiced them to do them for you.

but it's better than hr reviewing 20k CVs cause that's just a long and an unproductive use of time.

Agree with this. All AC's should retest as soon as you step through the door and if you perform less than expected you should get sent home immediately.
Original post by Turing
Agree with this. All AC's should retest as soon as you step through the door and if you perform less than expected you should get sent home immediately.

They do this at HSBC and Citi. I've seen people sent home before.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Hey, I know you're feeling pretty disheartened right now but please don't give up. As cliché as this is going to sound, there is a firm out there for you. These schemes/internship application processes are also a test of perseverance and you must remain hopeful and strong during times of adversity. Keep on practicing your numericals, it's long and boring but it will be worth it in the end. If you know you're confident with one area, focus on another. To improve your timing you need to put a little pressure on yourself during practice tests, try to work swiftly but thoroughly.

You said you're not sure about which divisions to apply for and I can only advise that you choose roles that match your interests and your strongest skills. READ the descriptions given on the company website of what they're looking for and if you feel like you can tick the majority of the boxes then go for it.

I feel as though higher education has conditioned a lot of us to feel like we don't match up to this "dream candidate" and we therefore restrict ourselves to where we apply and what we do because we are afraid. Fxck it, break free from the shackles and take a chance.

At the end of the day all they can do is reject you... or not reply.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Turing

UBS does this.
Original post by JessicaPearson
Hey, I know you're feeling pretty disheartened right now but please don't give up. As cliché as this is going to sound, there is a firm out there for you. These schemes/internship application processes are also a test of perseverance and you must remain hopeful and strong during times of adversity. Keep on practicing your numericals, it's long and boring but it will be worth it in the end. If you know you're confident with one area, focus on another. To improve your timing you need to put a little pressure on yourself during practice tests, try to work swiftly but thoroughly.

You said you're not sure about which divisions to apply for and I can only advice that you choose roles that match your interests and your strongest skills. READ the descriptions given on the company website of what they're looking for and if you feel like you can tick the majority of the boxes then go for it.

I feel as though higher education has conditioned a lot of us to feel like we don't match up to this "dream candidate" and we therefore restrict ourselves to where we apply and what we do because we are afraid. Fxck it, break free from the shackles and take a chance.

At the end of the day all they can do is reject you... or not reply.

this this this this this this this ^

great advice

these are the type of people who i want to work with, want and go get
1) Got JPM (IBD London) rejection today. Applied on the 10th of September. 2) Does anyone when approx. you get a rejection from MS if you failed the test. As for the spring week, I am sure to have failed the test but did get a rejection in January.

Thanks for your help.
Reply 2956
Does anyone know how long you have to complete the Barclays video interview? Email didn't mention anything..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ay42
Does anyone know how long you have to complete the Barclays video interview? Email didn't mention anything..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mine said 48
Does anyone have Nomura grad recruitment email address ?
Original post by gavgav123
Does anyone have Nomura grad recruitment email address ?

[email protected]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending