The Student Room Group

New i7 Laptop AMA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by IWMTom
But, why do you need that much power??? What do you even do that actually requires such a large amount of processing power???
I don't really need it, just i find it handy.

Original post by Pulse.
Am I the only person who finds Connor's story in Assassins Creed 3 the most tragic out of all the games?
never played it. i tore two pieces of hair out playing the first mission of black flag, completed the mission and haven't gone back.

yes i understand that now.

Original post by FailedMyMocks
Ain't you the guy who got into tons of credit card debt?..

Just a bit.
How can you afford such a expensive laptop?
Reply 22
Which laptop did you buy?
Reply 23
Original post by Ishax

He puts it on credit cards as he thinks it is free money. Read his other threads.
Reply 24
Original post by Ishax

Credit cards
Original post by sh9
Which laptop did you buy?

Aspire v-15 i7 -5557u 3.1 gz processor with 8 gig ram, and 1 tb hdd plus a keyboard that lights up and a sound card with brilliant bass and reverb. I want to upgrade the ram to 32 gig though, but my wife has locked my cards away. This would cost about another £350.
Original post by IWMTom
He puts it on credit cards as he thinks it is free money. Read his other threads.
yep. If i didn't pay it back though, they wouldn't keep on giving me them!
Reply 25
Original post by john2054
Credit cards

Aspire v-15 i7 -5557u 3.1 gz processor with 8 gig ram, and 1 tb hdd plus a keyboard that lights up and a sound card with brilliant bass and reverb. I want to upgrade the ram to 32 gig though, but my wife has locked my cards away. This would cost about another £350.
yep. If i didn't pay it back though, they wouldn't keep on giving me them!

Banks pray on the financially irresponsible. We can see your other threads, you know.
Reply 26
Original post by IWMTom
pray on the financially irresponsible. We can see your other threads, you know.

Can you :redface: :s-smilie::colondollar:
Reply 27
[QUOTE=john2054;67695852

yep.

What are you going to do with 32gb RAM? It's totally overkill and unnecessary. I think it's highly unlikely that your laptop is ever going to demand anything more than 4GB.

I upgraded my RAM a few years ago to 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz and it's been more than enough for anything and made a massive difference in itself. Go for quality, not quantity.
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-envy-17-n152na-17-3-laptop-silver-10137887-pdt.html#srcid=11026. Can someone tell me if the above laptop has good specs for the price. I need to do school work + spreadsheet modelling, video editing in bulk and light gaming (indie games). £900 is my budget so any suggestions wouls be nice.
(edited 7 years ago)
Lol why do you need 32gb of ram? Thats completely unnecessary for any average user.
No SSD + crappy integrated graphics + no gaming = waste of money (and battery life) for an i7. Also, why a gaming mouse?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Willdono
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-envy-17-n152na-17-3-laptop-silver-10137887-pdt.html#srcid=11026. Can someone tell me if the above laptop has good specs for the price. I need to do school work + spreadsheet modelling, video editing in bulk and light gaming (indie games). £900 is my budget so any suggestions wouls be nice.

Instead of spending £960 on that, why don't you spend £660 on the one i brought, and then buying a spare 8 gig ram for £35. Here is the link for the ram http://www.ebuyer.com/509117-kingston-8gb-1600mhz-ddr3l-non-ecc-cl11-1-35v-so-dimm-memory-kvr16ls11-8 and here is the link for the i7 laptop http://www.ebuyer.com/751979-acer-aspire-v3-574-laptop-nx-g1kek-064

This would be a much better investment then the other one you were looking at, which is only an i5. True they don't have dynamic hard drives or the latest graphics cards, but it does come with 6th generation i7 intel processor, and two sodimm slots, so you can upgrade the ram yourself if you buy a good philips screw driver from wilkos, and keep the screws in a glass, when you take them out. Just watch a youtube video on how to upgrade ram if you're still not sure! BTW not all laptops can have their ram upgraded, thanks.
Cool, i7 and **** memory and storage and practically no graphical horsepower.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 33
Instead of spending £960 on that, why don't you spend £660 on the one i brought, and then buying a spare 8 gig ram for £35. Here is the link for the ram http://www.ebuyer.com/509117-kingston-8gb-1600mhz-ddr3l-non-ecc-cl11-1-35v-so-dimm-memory-kvr16ls11-8 and here is the link for the i7 laptop http://www.ebuyer.com/751979-acer-aspire-v3-574-laptop-nx-g1kek-064

This would be a much better investment then the other one you were looking at, which is only an i5. True they don't have dynamic hard drives or the latest graphics cards, but it does come with 6th generation i7 intel processor, and two sodimm slots, so you can upgrade the ram yourself if you buy a good philips screw driver from wilkos, and keep the screws in a glass, when you take them out. Just watch a youtube video on how to upgrade ram if you're still not sure! BTW not all laptops can have their ram upgraded, thanks.

A processor is only as good as its counterparts :smile:)))))
Original post by Ishax

It's hardly expensive; it's cheaper than any single Mac out there (including MacBooks; MacBook Airs and MacBook Pros).
Reply 35
Original post by Jammy Duel
Cool, i7 and **** memory and storage and practically no graphical horsepower.
8 meg memory isn't too bad. And I am going to upgrade that anyway, as i already said. also 1 gig storage is plenty. i couldn't use one gig up even when i was doing tor ents, let alone now i don't!

Original post by IWMTom
A processor is only as good as its counterparts :smile:)))))
Before this i had an i3 with 16 gig ram, and it runs very well. I am going to spend £350 buying 32 gig to install in this one, and it will run like a dream after that. All i need the laptop for is word processing, google, facebook, youtube and the odd programming ap so i am hardly a heavy user. As far as i can see we keep the xbox one for games, and the pc for work. I don't even need this, but i can afford it, and so why not. Seeing as i spend as much if not more time in front of the little screen as the big one, i might as well make it a good one huh? I don't at all buy in to my dad, and other's philosophy that you should only buy cheap stuff. Especially if you are a heavy user.

Original post by Cain Tesfaye
It's hardly expensive; it's cheaper than any single Mac out there (including MacBooks; MacBook Airs and MacBook Pros).
thankyou for backing me up!
(edited 7 years ago)
8 meg memory isn't too bad. And I am going to upgrade that anyway, as i already said. also 1 gig storage is plenty. i couldn't use one gig up even when i was doing tor ents, let alone now i don't!

Before this i had an i3 with 16 gig ram, and it runs very well. I am going to spend £350 buying 32 gig to install in this one, and it will run like a dream after that. All i need the laptop for is word processing, google, facebook, youtube and the odd programming ap so i am hardly a heavy user. As far as i can see we keep the xbox one for games, and the pc for work. I don't even need this, but i can afford it, and so why not. Seeing as i spend as much if not more time in front of the little screen as the big one, i might as well make it a good one huh? I don't at all buy in to my dad, and other's philosophy that you should only buy cheap stuff. Especially if you are a heavy user.

thankyou for backing me up!

8 gig is standard, and anything that needs an i7, even a crap one, wants more than 8GB, in terms of storage it's speed, 5400RPM 2.5" is simply dire.

And if any more evidence were needed you're an absolute idiot or more likely a troll it's claiming you're paying triple price for RAM for a laptop that doesn't need it and can't even take it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
All i need the laptop for is word processing, google, facebook, youtube and I don't even need this, but i can afford it, and so why not.

You do not need that much processing power then!

Just because you have a credit limit sufficient to purchase the damn thing does NOT mean you can afford it. Your sense of money (and lack thereof) is terrifying.
Reply 38
That i7 is a dual core, the same as most i5's and some i3's - but more power efficient and about 10% faster... not worth making a thread about lmao
You have played yourself so badly...

I built a computer for the same price as you with a keyboard and mouse(that will light up too) with far better specs:

i7 6700k (6th Gen)
MSI Krait Edition Z170 Motherboard (Inbuilt soundcard which is good enough tbh)
16GB RAM (Because gaming)
Sapphire RX 480
2TB WD Black HDD
Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Now if I just bought a decent £120 monitor and downgraded my 6th gen i7 to a 5th gen i7 I'd probably end up cheaper then your waste of money..

Just why would you make a thread about this...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending