The Student Room Group

Entry Requirements related to Uni Ranking?

Hi everyone,
I have a very important question
I will use 2 examples of Uni which are Uni A and Uni B

Should I aim to get into Uni A which is ranked high for Psychology and entry requirements of BCC OR
Should I aim to get into Uni B which is ranked low (lower than Uni A) for Psychology and entry requirements of AAA?

Is it correct that the higher the entry requirements, the better is the Uni?
Original post by mollylilianna
Hi everyone,
I have a very important question
I will use 2 examples of Uni which are Uni A and Uni B

Should I aim to get into Uni A which is ranked high for Psychology and entry requirements of BCC OR
Should I aim to get into Uni B which is ranked low (lower than Uni A) for Psychology and entry requirements of AAA?

Is it correct that the higher the entry requirements, the better is the Uni?

Entry requirements work by supply and demand, the more people with good grades that apply, the higher the minimum barrier of entry will be. League tables are driven by multiple factors, so even if a university has a really high ranking for research quality, that doesn't mean that the course is well organised. However, their widespread use does probably influence applications, so you will tend to find that the two things are correlated (can you give an example where a uni with BCC entry requirements is higher ranked than one with AAA?). You can see here that entry standards decrease as you go down the table http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=psychology There may also be a direct relation between the two as degrees with lower requirements will probably go at a slower pace of teaching.

A more likely case will be that one university will have slightly higher entry requirements but be slightly lower in the league tables. I wouldn't advise basing any decision purely on these factors as rankings fluctuate anyway. In addition, employers will not care about which university has a slightly higher ranking on the guardian league table in 2016.
Original post by iammichealjackson
Entry requirements work by supply and demand, the more people with good grades that apply, the higher the minimum barrier of entry will be. League tables are driven by multiple factors, so even if a university has a really high ranking for research quality, that doesn't mean that the course is well organised. However, their widespread use does probably influence applications, so you will tend to find that the two things are correlated (can you give an example where a uni with BCC entry requirements is higher ranked than one with AAA?). You can see here that entry standards decrease as you go down the table http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=psychology There may also be a direct relation between the two as degrees with lower requirements will probably go at a slower pace of teaching.

A more likely case will be that one university will have slightly higher entry requirements but be slightly lower in the league tables. I wouldn't advise basing any decision purely on these factors as rankings fluctuate anyway. In addition, employers will not care about which university has a slightly higher ranking on the guardian league table in 2016.

I didnt actually want to disclose the universities as this is a uk-based forum. But, since you asked, theyre Australian universities
the AAA is by Uni of Sydney
the BCC is by Uni of Melbourne (#1 in Australia but further down in Psychology)

idk, I do notice this does not apply to uk as the entry requirements really go down the table but I just wanted to ask in general
I didnt actually want to disclose the universities as this is a uk-based forum. But, since you asked, theyre Australian universities
the AAA is by Uni of Sydney
the BCC is by Uni of Melbourne (#1 in Australia but further down in Psychology)

idk, I do notice this does not apply to uk as the entry requirements really go down the table but I just wanted to ask in general

I thought this sounded weird, checked it out and your right. I then i clicked fees to find out that it costs $150,000 for the whole course. I think they would let my cat enroll if i paid its tuition fees... I wouldn't rely too much on grades as an indicator of quality as universities like to accept as many international students as they can as they're cash cows.
(edited 7 years ago)
I thought this sounded weird, checked it out and your right. I then i clicked fees to find out that it costs $150,000 for the whole course. I think they would let my cat enroll if i paid its tuition fees... I wouldn't rely too much on grades as an indicator of quality as universities like to accept as many international students as they can as they're cash cows.

Damn! I shouldve looked at the cost of the course first. Thank you so much for your replies :-)
Damn! I shouldve looked at the cost of the course first. Thank you so much for your replies :-)

I'm not actually sure if there are any bursaries available to UK students, I didn't really have an in depth look, although it doesn't seem to be the case...
Look into the*commonwealth scholarship. I know someone who got funded from Aus to UK with it, so should work the other way around too.
I'm not actually sure if there are any bursaries available to UK students, I didn't really have an in depth look, although it doesn't seem to be the case...

Original post by Noodlzzz
Look into the*commonwealth scholarship. I know someone who got funded from Aus to UK with it, so should work the other way around too.

Im an international student to both UK and Aus, sadly haahahahaha

Quick Reply

Latest