The Student Room Group

Newly qualified nurse - Ask me anything

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Amy. J S
Hi, firstly thanks for posting; it's really a good opportunity for prospective/student Nurses to ask questions. My question really would be how quick did you land a job after you qualified? Ovbiously with your start date in October, not very long, but I'm more interested in the whole job-seeking process.

Thanks! :h:

Hiya. Well in January there was an open day in one of my local hospitals so I decided to attend. I had 7 months left of my course but thought it's worth a shot and even if they told me I came too early, at least i would have had an experience of being interviewed, howevet it wasnt early at all and there were other final year students there too. I had the interview on the same day and was given a conditional offer and was told when I receive my pin I should notify HR. In October i will be starting as a band 3 until my NMC pin arrives which will probably be end of October or beginning of November.
Original post by pblankson92
Hiya. Well in January there was an open day in one of my local hospitals so I decided to attend. I had 7 months left of my course but thought it's worth a shot and even if they told me I came too early, at least i would have had an experience of being interviewed, howevet it wasnt early at all and there were other final year students there too. I had the interview on the same day and was given a conditional offer and was told when I receive my pin I should notify HR. In October i will be starting as a band 3 until my NMC pin arrives which will probably be end of October or beginning of November.

Thanks for getting back so quick. I know those recruitment days are very successful for final year Nursing students. Heard good stuff about them in my local area. That's really good and very reassuring for someone who is going into Nursing! I've got an interview for a HCA post at my local Hospital next week. There is going to be a panel interview (I'm not so anxious about that as I have had a panel interview before within the NHS) and I was just wondering what the interview process is like for a Staff Nurse position?

Good luck on the new job anyway; would be interesting to hear how you find it. :smile::smile:
Hi, I just completed my degree at Middlesex University in Adult Nursing. I start my new job as a staff nurse 10th October 2016. Feel free to ask me anything about the course, I will try my best to answer as best as possible.

:smile:

On Tuesday, I pulled my thigh muscles in both legs. At the moment, my right leg keeps threatening to give way. Any ideas on what to do?
Reply 23
Original post by Mvine001
On Tuesday, I pulled my thigh muscles in both legs. At the moment, my right leg keeps threatening to give way. Any ideas on what to do?

Visit your GP
Visit your GP

My GP will just refer my to a hospital. They did that when I had a weak left eye muscle, and when I pulled a muscle in my shoulder.
Reply 25
Original post by Amy. J S
Thanks for getting back so quick. I know those recruitment days are very successful for final year Nursing students. Heard good stuff about them in my local area. That's really good and very reassuring for someone who is going into Nursing! I've got an interview for a HCA post at my local Hospital next week. There is going to be a panel interview (I'm not so anxious about that as I have had a panel interview before within the NHS) and I was just wondering what the interview process is like for a Staff Nurse position?

Good luck on the new job anyway; would be interesting to hear how you find it. :smile::smile:

Oh that's great. You will gain so much experience as a HCA. The interview was more of a scenario based interview as well as questions about myself. I was asked 10 questions? I was not prepared as I did not expect to have a interview on the same day so I was not surprised if I was not successful because I was very nervous. But the interviewers were lovely, two nurses interviewed me.
My GP will just refer my to a hospital. They did that when I had a weak left eye muscle, and when I pulled a muscle in my shoulder.

This thread is not for medical advice, as already suggested, visit your GP, go to a walk in centre or call 111 for medical advice.
Original post by moonkatt
This thread is not for medical advice, as already suggested, visit your GP, go to a walk in centre or call 111 for medical advice.

Right. I misunderstood. Sorry. :colondollar:
Right. I misunderstood. Sorry. :colondollar:

That's fine :smile:

No one can give you direct medical advice on TSR, it's something we don't allow, you're much better off being seen by someone in person and having them assess you properly.
Original post by moonkatt
That's fine :smile:

No one can give you direct medical advice on TSR, it's something we don't allow, you're much better off being seen by someone in person and having them assess you properly.

I understand but people do that in Health :smile: (no grass)
I'm considering being an adult nurse. Overall how stressful is the course?
What does a nurse actually do, I always thought nurses are quite inferior in a hospital setting and are left to do the horrible bits eg taking patient to toilets and changing them ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by lol123456789
I'm considering being an adult nurse. Overall how stressful is the course?
What does a nurse actually do, I always thought nurses are quite inferior in a hospital setting and are left to do the horrible bits eg taking patient to toilets and changing them ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't really tell you how stressful nursing is because everyone will have a different opinion on it. With me, I would say it was not as stressful as people made it out to be. But unless you study the course, you wouldn't know if it is stressful or not. A nurse promotes health and care fo4 individuals to ensure that they maintain an optimal health. They assess, plan, implement and evaluate a patients care.
What are the things you learnt on placement whilst at uni and would a person still be able to get a job if they graduate with a 3rd in nursing. & do nhs staff get unpaid breaks?, do you think you will b able to live comfortably on u wage?. Sorry about all d questions lol
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zainab96
What are the things you learnt on placement whilst at uni and would a person still be able to get a job if they graduate with a 3rd in nursing. & do nhs staff get unpaid breaks?, do you think you will b able to live comfortably on u wage?. Sorry about all d questions lol

your degree classification is irrelevant - if you have registration you are potentially employable, however your degree classification may be of consequence when seeking to do further study as if your pre-reg marks are poor you may have to do further level 6 modules before progressing to Level 7 / masters

Breaks - in the typical 8 -12 hour shift one of your breaks will be unpaid , usually 30 minutes and represents your 'lunch' / 'tea as evening meal ' break

Nursing pay, despite the claims of the party political idiots is good and if you work a rotational shift pattern you will be earning close to the median average wage pretty much straight away, and the top couple of increments of band 5 have a basic wage in excess of the median average wage. ( pay is higher in and around london due to weighting allowances and some other high cost areas have recruitment and rentention payments )

Trying to run a family and household on one RN wage will be hard work and very hard work in higher cost areas.

hopefully in the next few years the dinosaurs that make up the current so called leadership of the profession will finally retire and allow people with the skills and knowledge to actually lead the profession effectively take on leadership roles ( although it will need the attitudes over buggins turn and not jumping grades to be addressed)
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest