The Student Room Group

Can i study medicien??

Ok my gcses are B*******. I have
double science A*A*
maths A*
further maths A
english language C
english litrature D
(I kind of got expelled from school at the end of year 10)
The sixform I go to has only allowed me to do 3 alevels
My AS grades
biology A
Maths A
Physics A
(i was not allowed to do chemestry) am i still in with a chance to study medicien?
Original post by lalameow
double science A*A*
maths A*
further maths A
english language C
english litrature D
My AS grades
biology A
Maths A
Physics A
(i was not allowed to do chemestry) am i still in with a chance to study medicien?

You probably still can but you need good A2 grades UKCAT or BMAT. I think the minimum GCSE requirements are 5A's including English Maths and Science.
Reply 2
I think being able to spell 'Medicine' is a requirement, and you certainly haven't met that when you butchered the spelling twice.
double science A*A*
maths A*
further maths A
english language C
english litrature D
My AS grades
biology A
Maths A
Physics A

You need to improve your spelling too.
Reply 4
Original post by m_james
I think being able to spell 'Medicine' is a requirement, and you certainly haven't met that when you butchered the spelling twice.

i dyslexic... not my fault... does look really thick though
Reply 5
Original post by m_james

Hence i failed english- i cannot spell
Reply 6
i dyslexic... not my fault... does look really thick though

Oh, apologies.

You would definitely need A's in English, Maths and Science at GCSE if you wish to study Medicine - it's extemely competitive.
Reply 7
does the fact that i got expelled from school go against me- will i have to tell the uni's i am aplying to this?
Reply 8
Original post by m_james
Oh, apologies.

You would definitely need A's in English, Maths and Science at GCSE if you wish to study Medicine - it's extemely competitive.

i dought wether i can get an A in english- i have got A* in maths and science though
Original post by Shazen
You probably still can but you need good A2 grades UKCAT or BMAT. I think the minimum GCSE requirements are 5A's including English Maths and Science.

For GCSEs it depends what uni they are looking at, I think (dont quote me) but somewhere like St Georges want 5 As at least including english, maths and science. However Barts & London want AAABBB in the core subjects and in any order.
Original post by FemaleBo55
For GCSEs it depends what uni they are looking at, I think (dont quote me) but somewhere like St Georges want 5 As at least including english, maths and science. However Barts & London want AAABBB in the core subjects and in any order.

I'm pretty sure that only means they will consider you if you got AAABBB. You'll need more than that because medicine is very competitive and other applicants may have exceeded these grades.
OP is dyslexic.
double science A*A*
maths A*
further maths A
english language C
english litrature D
My AS grades
biology A
Maths A
Physics A

Your English Language grade is going to heavily disadvantage you, along with the lack of GCSEs taken. The fact that you're probably going to have to bring up you were expelled from school is going to work against you too.

Imperial and Newcastle/Durham are the only places I can think of, but if you have dyslexia, I assume the BMAT and UKCAT are going to be difficult.
Reply 13
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Your English Language grade is going to heavily disadvantage you, along with the lack of GCSEs taken. The fact that you're probably going to have to bring up you were expelled from school is going to work against you too.

Imperial and Newcastle/Durham are the only places I can think of, but if you have dyslexia, I assume the BMAT and UKCAT are going to be difficult.

Do you think it would be worth doing a gap year and study 5 more gcses in that gap year? or do an additional year at collage studying 5 gcses?
Do you think it would be worth doing a gap year and study 5 more gcses in that gap year? or do an additional year at collage studying 5 gcses?

I think it's worth emailing the universities you want to go to about your situation. I'm not too informed over GCSE resits for specific universities, as I am with A Levels; only the admissions tutors will be able to tell you what you really need.
There's only three universities that I can think of that don't require A level chemistry (Peninsula, UEA and Newcastle) but I'm not sure if you would meet their GCSE requirements. I've heard of a few people studying medicine in Europe, e.g. Sofia, Bulgaria. You could look into it if that interests you?
i would recommend checking uni requirements, however the issue is that a lot of them demand chem, so definitely have a look. i'll link in the tsr medicine forum for ya

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine#Entry_Requirements

dont forget, despite your gcses, unis use other factors to decide whether or not to accept an applicant
east anglia dont require chem and thats the only one im afraid
For most (almost all) medicine courses you need Chemistry to A2. Consider biomedical sciences and/or a less GCSE-heavy course. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest