The Student Room Group

Why is A-level maths SO much harder than every other A-level?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by RDKGames
Yep, I was getting D's for the first half of Y12.

What did you eventually get at the end of year 12?

I get D's allthe time
Original post by bobb99998
Do not approach A2s with that attitude. You will have to slave over the subjects. Maths requires you to practise everything inside out, all the practise papers, a good chunk of text book questions to ensure that you don;t get screwed over by the exam boards.

I know A2s aren't, i was referring to AS.
Original post by Rajive
What did you eventually get at the end of year 12?

An A grade in all 3 AS Maths modules. It just took me a while for things to fall into place in my head and everything started to make sense, the jump from GCSE to A-Level was much more significant for me anyway (as compared to everyone else in my class) as I wasn't in any the top 3 classes at my school for GCSE Maths, but AS FM helped me a lot to improve it anyway.

I get D's all the time
Original post by lw8
I don't understand why they make it so hard.
I got AAD in my AS (i'll be retaking and getting a B but thats besides the point).
For the 2 As, i didn't revise, it was fairly easy to keep up with the notes and be confident on writing essays for every topic.
Maths however; i did at least 8 extra hours a week from February to May (the exams), and still only got a D overall (58.7%).

AS levels are insultingly easy if its not maths (and some sciences, like chem/physics/computer science).

If you have an affinity for maths then it isnt hard and quite easy tbh.
On one of the quite long threads with people citing A levels in order of difficulty the posters frequently posted maths as the easiest A level. Dont pick it if you dont have an affinity for it.
Original post by 999tigger
If you have an affinity for maths then it isnt hard and quite easy tbh.
On one of the quite long threads with people citing A levels in order of difficulty the posters frequently posted maths as the easiest A level. Dont pick it if you dont have an affinity for it.

I always get told that, but with hard work anythings possible, i improved by 50% in 2 months of hard work at AS.
Original post by lw8
I don't understand why they make it so hard.
I got AAD in my AS (i'll be retaking and getting a B but thats besides the point).
For the 2 As, i didn't revise, it was fairly easy to keep up with the notes and be confident on writing essays for every topic.
Maths however; i did at least 8 extra hours a week from February to May (the exams), and still only got a D overall (58.7%).

AS levels are insultingly easy if its not maths (and some sciences, like chem/physics/computer science).

A level maths is easy. What are your issues exactly? Maybe using the wrong technique to revise?
Reply 88
Original post by lawlieto
A level maths is easy. What are your issues exactly? Maybe using the wrong technique to revise?

Are you AS or A2?
Original post by Rajive
Are you AS or A2?

I'm starting university next week, I got A* for A level maths & further maths

It's not about revising, the teachers go through a ridiculous amount of work in each lesson and do a poor job of explaining things to less abled students. I'm behind from the start, i have to catch up by getting a tutor and doinf 43545 past papers.
Reply 91
Like the first person said it's subjective, and factors such as lecturer, personal life and motivation all make a difference. I personally didn't find it really difficult
Original post by lw8
It's not about revising, the teachers go through a ridiculous amount of work in each lesson and do a poor job of explaining things to less abled students. I'm behind from the start, i have to catch up by getting a tutor and doinf 43545 past papers.

Probably it's best if you start from C1 on with a tutor. Doing a lot of past papers is not going to help if you don't understand the basics. Past papers are very repetitive so once you've understood everything perfectly you should only do the latest past papers.
Reply 93
Original post by Mathemagicien
Further maths is a joke. STEP is way harder.

True. Further maths is same difficulty but different content. STEP content is nothing different to A level but just more difficult questions.
Probably it's best if you start from C1 on with a tutor. Doing a lot of past papers is not going to help if you don't understand the basics. Past papers are very repetitive so once you've understood everything perfectly you should only do the latest past papers.

I have C1 down to a tee i think, it's just when it gets to c3, c4 etc when it starts to get out of reach, especially with the way my teachers storm through powerpoints, i'm sure ill cope however:biggrin:
Reply 95
Original post by Mathemagicien
Further maths is a joke. STEP is way harder.

STEP is a joke. PhD Maths research is way harder.
Arrogance was my downfall last year, hardly prepared for as maths and got BBA, 8 mrks of an A. My school predicted me to get an A* at A2
Reply 97
Original post by Zacken
STEP is a joke. PhD Maths research is way harder.

That seems too big a jump to be worthy of any direct comparison.
Reply 98
Original post by B_9710
That seems too big a jump to be worthy of any direct comparison.

It's a joke. :tongue:
Reply 99
I'm starting university next week, I got A* for A level maths & further maths

At the start were you doing badly in year 12? Were you getting Ds and Es?

Quick Reply

Latest